The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone else getting offered free horses?

Just seems there are sooooooooooooo many people offering me and others in my circle free horses. Is this market going to get better? If I had more room and money, I'd have a lot of new horses.

I really want to breed this year, but haven't sent any contracts back yet. They are filled out, but just haven't put them in the mail. I'm kinda on the fence till I see some kind of positive market feed back.

How about you?
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

Yup, I've had 3 offered to me in the last month.

I haven't been offered a free horse this year or ever. I see ads for free horses, mostly the ones referenced by the fugly horse site.

We are frequently offered free horses. I can't remember the last one we took -- it's been over 10 years since we've accepted one. It even happened when the horse market was doing great.

The way I figure it, if I wouldn't kill myself to come up with $6500 to own it (I breed ponies, different money scale than WBs!), then I shouldn't be adding it to my program. Costs the same to feed a bad one as it does a good one.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I get offered a free horse from time to time. Usually mares. I just don't have room for them all

I've taken in two this month, two last month... there do seem to be more offers coming my way than usual. I've probably been offered at least 10 in the past few months.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Yes, I've been on both ends. My show mare who was injured and no longer riding sound I had one foal out of. My goals were 100% competition oriented and I just couldn't justify keeping her at the time so I offered her to a very reputable breeder who I thought she would fit into their program (for free). A good home was very important to me, so that is why I made this decision.

Now that I've expanded myself a bit, I've probably been offered 6-10 horses (mares and geldings) in the past year. I've found that once you help one, in my case I helped to place her, word of mouth gets around and every one of the friends of that person with an old and/or crippled horse was e-mailing me. Sadly EVERY situation was, "if you don't take xx we are going to put her down." I learned I just had to say okay, do what you need to do, and not feel guilty for their decisions.

Oddly, I offered to help find a retirement home for a 24 year old mare based on a dreamhorse ad I saw and really felt for the horse. These folks would not accept a good good home for her, but wanted to sell her for 6500k as an embryo transfer mare. So, I guess different strokes for different folks.

I get a lot of offers of free horses. It used to be just OTTB's, but now it seems to be broodmares. I probably get a call about once a month of someone wanting to give me mares. Mind you, I'm not talking about OTTB's that aren't rideable, or old retirees. I am talking about well-bred warmblood mares. Proven producers, fully approved, young mares.

A lot of breeders are quitting for a while (or permanently), and want to place their mares in a good home. It's getting worse and worse.
    Karousel Farms, Breeders of Fine Trakehner Sporthorses.

I took in one last year - imported, branded, bigtime performance record and have a new foal out of her that I absolutely love. I turned down another wb mare - branded BWP mare w/papers - but helped find her a home where she is now in training.

I've been offered numerous mares in the last year. Mares that in a good economy, I would have been happy to buy. A couple premium mares with great show records. I did take one over a year ago, but now I'm focused on taking care of my own herd. I feel terrible for these folks and mares but taking more horses puts my own in jeapordy with the price of everything going up and me back in school full time. Being a mortgage broker, I've found myself pretty much, out of business.

I'm also not breeding this year unless my mares are in contract prior to breeding. I don't want to bring new lives into the world right now when I think expences will continue to rise. When the economy gets more stable, I'll feel more comfortable.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Horsecrazy27 View Post
    Just seems there are sooooooooooooo many people offering me and others in my circle free horses.
    How about you?
    about 2 a week since October...most wanting to trade for hay others now just "gimmes"
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Sadly, yes! Seems like almost every week lately. Broodmares and others! I'm totally maxed out on horses right now and have 2 more foals coming this spring. I'm resigned to hanging on to all of mine for a while and am lucky that I can continue to take good care of them.
    Like Misita though, I am not rebreeding my mares this year and until I sell at least one or two of my horses I won't be able to take in another one. It is truely scary and I often wonder what happens to these poor horses!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

I agree. No breeding for me this year either. Too many horses without homes right now to justify bringing new lives into the world. I will support the ones I have, and continue to help others when I can. But to add to the current problem? NO. Not me either.
    Karousel Farms, Breeders of Fine Trakehner Sporthorses.

I have also been offered numerous "free" horses usually from friends or people I know who are too damn lazy to ride, train and sell them properly. I have never accepted one, and fortunately; unlike you Okggo, it was never: if you don't take it, we'll take him/her to auction/slaughter. Hate people like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsecrazy27 View Post
    Just seems there are sooooooooooooo many people offering me and others in my circle free horses. Is this market going to get better? If I had more room and money, I'd have a lot of new horses.

I really want to breed this year, but haven't sent any contracts back yet. They are filled out, but just haven't put them in the mail. I'm kinda on the fence till I see some kind of positive market feed back.

How about you?
    All the time! Of the pots of em there are in fact 2 I would like to have....but hubby would kill me if one comes before anything leaves!!

I've been offered and I have accepted 2 purebred Connemara mares this season. One has already arrived and i anticipate the second around mid-April. I think it is a good idea to be "available" to breeders who may not be able to cope with the economy as it stands today
    Willow Run Connemaras
    Home of: "Willow Boy" (*Chiltern Colm ex *Sillbridge Miranda by Thunderbolt)
    ~Irish Connemara Ponies for Sport and Pleasure~
    www.willowrunconnemaras.com

I took a free Lost Soldier mare last year who was breed and the previous owner never told me. I kept the filly and rehomed the mare, since I personally don't breed. This year I got a super nice black TB gelding who loves to jump. My husband who is a farrier gets offers from people who have a horse that needs a home all the time. Some of his clients think that just because we have our own farm that we want to deal with their problems. More often than not, we do help them find a nice home for their horse. Sometimes I don't think people realize how lucky they are that their horse doesn't end up with a kill buyer and just how helpful people in the horse community can be.
    Gilchrist said. "With Lost In The Fog, it's different. We want to take real good care of this horse. He's the only bullet in our holster."

Default and what is on the grill tonight?????? Filet Mignon or Hot Dogs again?

Sigh!!!! What a dilemna!!! Most people I know pay through the nose for everything! But I am noticing that those asking for the moon, are finding it a tough sell... and their numbers are increasing so they may find themselves aboard a sinking ship shortly.

I do hear you on the economy. I am seeing it everywhere. Even in the trenches.... at Goodwill last week (a place I love to haunt on ocassion), I saw some distinctly high end furniture (truthfully! and in very good shape) for rediculously low prices, a true bargain... in Ocala.. My first impression was either someone passed away from the high end of town or another estate went belly up. I settled for something smaller as I am travelling and bought a beautiful photography book by one of America's MOST FAMOUS photographers, her book on WOMEN, very stirring portraits throughout of a wide spectrum of women in all walks of life ranging from true charachters to the First Lady...her name, Annie Liebowitz, a well known photographer of American Vogue, and many other highly known publications whose stirring portraits of the rich and famous have raised more than a few eyebrows over the years..... for $1.75 today. It was a hard cover stunning book of pictures. I will treasure it. Other than the paper cover jacket over the hard cover being a touch soiled and not badly at all, it was in near perfect condition.

Bargains are springing up all across the board folks. It is a buyers market. Those hanging on to the high end items (including imported everything) and thinking the higher end market is safe may be in for some near future disappointments. I hope for all of you that are collecting high end stock and thinking the top dollar buyer will be willing to spread it around need to stand back and reevaluate what may be upon you. The high end will be feeling the squeeze as well, possibly more than the low end. Thank you Mr. Buzsch! Let's see what you have up your sleeve next.
    Last edited by Hocus Focus; Mar. 21, 2008 at 07:38 PM.

From Hocus Focus-Thank you Mr. Buzsch! Let's see what you have up your sleeve next.

Well, Mr. Bush will be gone soon and I'm not seeing anything in the running, to take his place, that's making me feel any better. Veerryyy scarey times.

Sorry for getting off topic.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

I've always heard that the high end and low end horses always have buyers. It's the middle range that has a hard time in a recession.

It could be different this time. The situation is different. It's the first time this country waged a war at the time it cut taxes. The financial implications are enormous.

I gave away one of my horses, an imported broodmare. She had a dystocia last year and cervix was torn. I found her a fabulous home as a pet and a light riding horse.