The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Another Abetta saddle lover here. I've got one for my Haflinger, it's the extra wide endurance.

There are 2 other Arab saddles you may want to consider. There is the Big Horn Arabian Cordura saddle; half leather/half cordura. It is built on a Steele tree, which is one of the best trees out there. It's a hand made, fiberglass covered wooden tree. The Steele Tree Company also sells this tree to American Saddlery, and they also make an Arabian Saddle on this same tree. It's also a leather/cordura saddle. They look almost exactly alike, and both saddles fit the horses exactly the same, but they sit differently to the human.

I had the American Saddlery version, but the stirrups were a bit too far forward for me and the seat felt hard. So I got the Big Horn saddle on the same tree and it is different. The seat is softer and the stirrups are a bit further back, so it's easier to post in, but I still use a Cashel seat saver for my butt. But rider comfort is an individual thing....the friend I sold the American Saddlery saddle to LOVES it and thinks it's the most comfy saddle she's every ridden in.

Both saddle DO have a horn, but those can be removed by a qualified saddler. These saddles have a wide gullet, fit a horse with high withers, has shorter bars to fit the short back of an Arab, have rounded skirts and they come in 2 seat sizes: 15.5" and 16.5". Do a search on them and see what you think. There are also some on Ebay from time to time. They cost around $500 new, but much less used.
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly