The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default necropsy result posted on RRHT for Rowdy and Direct Merger

http://www.rhht.org/PDFs/Red_Hills_Final_PDF.p

Necropsy results from UFL or, there is a link on the home page www.rhht.org

Default That's www.rhht.org

sorry, mistyped in title.

Ai, NOT a ruptured aorta. How very sad.
    Click here before you buy.

Very sad.

indeed, very sad and very unlucky

Just wondering, but is Salix legal in eventing? I'm not entirely sure that Salix would have prevented these tragic deaths, but I do know that Salix is an often used drug that is used to stop EIPH in the racehorse industry. These high level eventers are exercising as intensely as racehorses for longer periods of time. I know that there is a debate on whether Salix is performance enhancing or not. However, in light of the similarity of the cause of death of these two athletes, wouldn't it be worth a bit of performance enhancement in order to prevent deaths? Especially since the short course has become prevalent, I think that any enhancement in performance would be negligible since XC these days seems to be more dependent on training and adjustability anyways. Anyways, does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Not legal at the FEI level, and probably not at the USEA level, either. Given the endurance required at a 3-day (as opposed to a 1-2 minute horse race), my guess would be that Lasix would do more harm than good by causing more dehydration.

I know one of the horses had had problems with atrial fibrillation before. It does make one wonder if that had recurred, with disastrous results.

The little bit of damage control they did on the last page for CMP was a nice touch don't you think? (cough)
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I just did some quick googling on pulmonary hemorrhaging. Am I right in thinking it's just something that sometimes happens when an athlete is under intense stress? In other words, can we say the horses were put at risk because they were unusually exerted by some factor: the strenuous nature of the course, the weather conditions (if it was very hot), a lack of proper conditioning, or some previous medical condition?

I am thankful to Red Hills for releasing this info and doing it so promptly. I think it can help.

Yes, but in the vast majority of cases I believe pulmonary hemorrhage is idiopathic--it just happens. No, not at rest, but not always at maximum "red line" exertion, either.

There are a number of good articles on Medline, if you search for "equine exercise induced pulmonary hemorrhage", including one review from 2007 that I'm itching to read.

Classic Melody -- thank you for the gracious comment.

Please guys, out of respect for those tremendous athletes and their owners, please do not turn this thread into another bashing of CMP. This weekend was tough enough on its own.

Libby
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Not bashing anybody, just an observation, although I did feel it was rather obvious and not appropriate that it was included in the necropsy results.
    I wonder why it seems as though that sort of condition seems to occur more in eventing than in other disciplines, including racing. Even steeplechasing it doesn't seem to occur as often, or is it just that we don't hear about it as much unless it's eventing?
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I have personally seen three horses keel over from ruptured aortas doing nothing strenuous than standing in a paddock in my lifetime so my guess is that you just hear about it more.

here is some more info on Pulmonary Hemorrhage in horses....

http://www.horsequest.com/journal/health/case1.htm
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    Even steeplechasing it doesn't seem to occur as often, or is it just that we don't hear about it as much unless it's eventing?

you just don't hear about it as often. First steeplechase I watched had 3-4 horses die...not all were from this cause but I believe one was (and caused the fall of the others). Not a usual occurance either....but it took me a few years before I could go again. I've also personally known of others who died in their fields and one out fox hunting.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I suppose i can see that, we did have one at our Opening Hunt this season drop out from under his rider. It wasn't hot, we weren't running super hard, at the first check down he went. One of our other members is an equine vet, she was right there and he was gone. She said it was a heart attack, no necropsy or anything.
    I wonder why it is that we hear about it more in eventing? It just does seem to me that there are more, and more often, than other disciplines.

"I wonder why it seems as though that sort of condition seems to occur more in eventing than in other disciplines, including racing. Even steeplechasing it doesn't seem to occur as often, or is it just that we don't hear about it as much unless it's eventing?"

EIPH occus more often than you realize in barrel racers, I have also seen it in a few endurance horses.

In addition to thanking Red Hills for providing an outlet to post the information from the necropsies, we should also thank the owners who released the information. It is a kindness that neither had to do, and helps folks come to an understanding and hopefully some degree of resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaBayEquine View Post
    "I wonder why it seems as though that sort of condition seems to occur more in eventing than in other disciplines, including racing. Even steeplechasing it doesn't seem to occur as often, or is it just that we don't hear about it as much unless it's eventing?"

EIPH occus more often than you realize in barrel racers, I have also seen it in a few endurance horses.
    So why do we hear about it more in our sports as opposed to the others? The non horse public doesn't care any more about endurance than they do hunters or eventers, is it that the falls are more catastrophic in eventing than in barrells or what is it?
    It would be so much better if there were a way to find this condition before the horse suffers a tragic end. I know in the case of Direct Merger the horse had had a heart problem in the past, but most of the time (at least in the ones that i have heard of) it was a sudden thing, kind of like in human athletes.
    Is what happened to those two horses a heart attack, or is more like a long QT thing or is an artery bursting under exertion?

Default Horses and Hearts

My father had a polo pony ( a minus 2!) drop dead walking out on the field for an evening practice match. Lovely horse, sad father-- In the end one has to realize how big a thoroughbred's heart really is! THere are much worse ways to go than on a sunny Wednesday in August

"Heaves Rancheros Amigos"