The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Airdrie Apache - let's pretend

Let's pretend that Airdrie Apache is a plain old chestnut horse with completely boring markings. Same goes for his get.

With me? No discussion of colour please. Relative quality only.

What can anybody tell me about AA and his get in terms of conformation, movement, temperment and/or aptitude for specific disciplines?

I haven't had a lot of luck finding good confo shots or video online.

Thanks!

Well IMHO I dont like the way his hind end looks in the pictures that are available. He looks sickle hocked and camped under in the pics to me. IMO I if I was going for a TB stallion that had some color and quality I would go with Puchilingui (not sure if she has any frozen so it may not be possible) or a son of his. I prefer Sato. Here is his website with pictures of him and his get. http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com/Sato.html
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

Just to clarify... colour is NOT a consideration. I'm interested in conformation, movement & temperment only.

I'm also not looking for alternative suggestions - just info on this bloodline.

Thanks.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/airdrie+apache
    http://www.painteddesert.net/apache.html

Pedigree to me first:
    I am not a personal fan of Mr. P except for a couple certain sons. Naevus is not one of the favored sons. Mr. P did in fact have some conformationally correct offspring but a lot of them had front leg confo problems in varying degrees of severity and Naevus is not of of the ones with good looking front legs. I do like the damside better with Bold Ruler, Northern Dancer and Roberto being good sporthorse lines in the not too distant past. The pic of Airdrie on the PQ is not a confo shot/can't tell much there. I will have to go try and find another pic to look at.
    I looked at his webpage. There is remarkably little on him there...2 pics/neither stood up straight...so it is hard to tell....from the way he is standing in the 2 pics on his webpage I have to agree it does make him look camped under/sickle hocked.

I don't like his upside down/short neck or his head. And his stud fee is outrageous.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

Color aside, I'd look elsewhere. I tend to think that when you can't find a conformation shot of the horse there is a reason for that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug Hill View Post
    And his stud fee is outrageous.
    I would agree if the market was towards a sport horse market but I beleive he is used more as a racing horse and for racing that stud fee is not high at all.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
    I would agree if the market was towards a sport horse market but I beleive he is used more as a racing horse and for racing that stud fee is not high at all.
    Really? What successful racing offspring has he had? And why aren't they listed on his website?

I don't think the horse is being used 'more as a racing sire' - look at the ads for offspring. Looks like his claim to fame is being the world's 'leading sire of colored and white Thoroughbreds.'

Race offspring:
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/progeny/airdrie+apache
    Of course PQ is generally incomplete and not always accurate.....but still...I don't see one with any decent winnings listed here (and I am not curious enough to go buy the official version from the JC site......)

Thanks much!

That's exactly the type of info I'm looking for. And no, we aren't considering breeding to him. Just looking deeper into an opportunity that has presented itself.

AA's offspring tend to be short, not the 17H advertised. More like 15.2H. I have seen some that are put together nicely, and others not. They are very typey. Some look like QH's, short backs, compact, but not your typical tb. They are not bred to look like your typical hunter but they have the trot, make sense? Flat trot, but conformation wise does not look hunter. But they can jump and would probably make nicer eventers. They seem to have very good temperments, quiet and almost lazy.

The one AA that I had quite a bit of contact with was very QH type, tons of muscle, maybe 15.3, compact, decent confirmation, nothing that scared me off. He didn't make it to the races due to foot problems. Temperment was OUTSTANDING. He was the nicest colt, a big puppy dog, easy going, learned quickly, nothing fazed him and that was at the racetrack. Everybody loved him.

I have been to Dalene's a couple of times, but I was so in awe of the colors and more interested in Rob N Gin (now deceased) that I didn't pay enough attention to AA.