The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mullen Mouth Rubber Loose Ring Mystery.

Hello BBers,

I have a question about a the rubber mouth loose rings. The ones that can come in a number of brands ranging from rigid (happy mouth, shaped, e.g.) or flexible (nathe, or the cheapo korsteel rubber mullen mouth). Generally I've used the loose ring, and my horse prefers the flexible.

What does it mean if the horse is chewing (or possibly grinding) a section of the bit about an inch off-center (to the right)? How is this workign when there physically isn't a tooth there?? (Clearly we aren't super happy with that amount of grinding, so I am trying to reduce it -- the horse behaves like a happier horse in the rubber bit than the metal)

Some possibilities I've thought about --

1) He is crossing his jaw, such that the upper molar can wear into the bit (should I try a figure 8 which should be more a little more effective than a flash at preventing this?)

2) I am so significantly pulling the right rein that it is placing that portion of the bit up and back between teeth -- yikes -- this would be awful, awful riding, and my coach in all likelyhood would have called this one -- but I'm trying to brainstorm ALL possibilities of why this could happen.

3) he has a tooth in the middle of the roof of his mouth - ha no.

FYI, horse has had regular (6 month) dental checks, and is on schedule for floating every 6 months as well, by a practice specializing in dentistry -- so I think we are okay on the mouth-health front.

Ideas? Help? Anyone had a similar experience in the past? ~ thanks!
    Remember courage is not the absence of fear; it is doing what you need to do in spite of your fear. -Sue Foley.

Just one minor correction: Nathes and Happy Mouths, etc. are *plastic* bits not rubber. Rubber bits are usually black. Rubber tends to dry the mouth as well. (Sorry; pet peeve).

As to the chew marks, it's pretty common with plastic bits to have to replace them fairly often because of the chew marks. If the horse's teeth have been done recently, and you have the bit placed properly, and you're reasonably sure your not hanging on one rein, the chew marks are probably just normal wear.

agreed about chewing marks are normal.

but rubber dry the mouth out? I guess it depends on the horse. I just swapped out a metal fullcheek for a flexible rubber dogbone snaffle. The horse absolutely slobbers everywhere.
    He really likes it.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Use a hard rubber bit. The soft ones aren't legal, anyway. I'm betting this will solve your problem.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Default Wait --- I thought Nathe's WERE legal

Wait, I thought Nathe (in the case of the snaffle bridle, not on one of the bits of the double) was legal, and the nathe is definately not a rigid bit, but a flexible one?
    Remember courage is not the absence of fear; it is doing what you need to do in spite of your fear. -Sue Foley.

Default Happy Mouths

And the happy mouths... My guy absolutely loves his. Aren't these legal also? He will HATE to go in a metal bit.

Please advise/clarify...

THANKS,
    Lori
    Lori
    Fly Teddy Fly!
    Connemara's Rock!
    RIP Reilly Go Bragh

Default Happy Mouths

The happy mouths that are of the same type of the regular legal bits (e.g. a regular loose ring snaffle, single joint) are legal, because they are plastic covered versions of a legal bit. The ones that are not a legal bit, remain illegal - e.g. a happy mouth pelham.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Not quite. The rule is that a bit must be smooth, and many Happy Mouth bits have all those little ridges in them. Also, the Happy Mouth "french link" actually has a roller in the middle, making it illegal. The Happy Mouth "dog bone" rubber mullen is illegal, because it's flexible.

And, it's the hard rubber bits that are legal, not the flexible. Check the rules.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Default Rule Book Citation

I actually do think, from my understanding of the rules, a flexible plastic or rubber bit is legal:

"*Any of the above may be made with a rubber, plastic or leather covering, but the bit may not be modified by adding latex or other material. Bits with mouthpieces made of synthetic material are permitted, provided that the contours of the bit conform to the contours of one of the
    bits pictured above. Flexible rubber or synthetic mouthpieces are permitted." (USEF, 2008)

This is from page DR18 on the pdf.

I *think* the nathe bits should be legal ?

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Not quite. The rule is that a bit must be smooth, and many Happy Mouth bits have all those little ridges in them. Also, the Happy Mouth "french link" actually has a roller in the middle, making it illegal. The Happy Mouth "dog bone" rubber mullen is illegal, because it's flexible.

And, it's the hard rubber bits that are legal, not the flexible. Check the rules.
    I think you're getting the "Double Jointed Happy Mouth" and the "French Link Happy Mouth" confused. There is a bonafied french link Happy Mouth..

http://www.doversaddlery.com/images/200/01668.jpg

Versus their "double jointed" model:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/images/200/01674.jpg
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Einsam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post

hang on... am i right or wrong when i'm thinking these bits are only illegal for show? they can be used at home right?

The fact that some of us get confused about what bits are legal and which are not says that the rules aren't easy to understand.

This is the bit I am using on my 4 year old. If it isn't legal, then I need to know now. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

http://www.bitofbritain.com/ProductD...oductCode=0121