The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Info on DWB Stallion named Legend?

I am trying to do some research on my mom's horse so she can have the accurate info when she sells him. When we bought him she was told he was by the dutch stallion Legend and a Tb mare named Leaves to Leaves. Supposedly, the stallion was bred at the quarantine facility in Pa (I suppose they have to be tested?). I did a google search but come up with several possiblities and can't figure out which would be correct. Her horse is a seven year old so if the stallion was imported then it would have been around 7-8 yrs ago.

Belinda Nairn-Wertman and her husband Bill used to have Legend at their farm in PA. You might try googling their web site (Inspo? maybe).

Edited to add: Legend was registerd NRPS and not KWPN

I have seen him sometimes identified as "Great Legend" or "Grand Legend". We have a filly by him (think she's five). He was gelded quite a number of years back I think & is available by frozen only. The last I knew (maybe 3 or 4 years ago) he was competing 4th level in dressage. Our filly has a full sister, so that makes at least 3 offspring.

Thank you! I searched under Great Legend and his info came up. 17.2! Evalee what have your offspring turned out like? What discipline are yours best suited for? This guy has done dressage, hunters and eventing all with great results. I see him more as an lovely amatuer hunter. He is slow and steady and all his dressage work makes him very rideable to the fences. I will have to see if I can find some results from Great/Grand Legend.

Marnie is very sweet, very people oriented, very quiet & easy. She can be terribly stubborn. She has largish ears & when she doesn't want to do something she sticks them straight out to the side & just plants her feet. We laugh at her & tell her she looks like a mule. She IS a chestnut mare, after all - cute little stripe on her face. Ali says she would make a good hunter. She is 16.1 & still growing. I understand she looks like her dam, more than her sire.

Marnie's full sister was bred by the same woman that bred Marnie, but we don't own the sister. The sister has been in training with Missie (??is that her name) Ransehousen (Jessica's daughter). I think she is pointed toward hunters. I understand the sister looks more like Legend - anyway, according to Ali, the sister is quite distinctly different conformation-wise from Marnie ... you wouldn't really guess they are sisters.

I don't know if there are any registration options (other than, say, AWR) since Legend is a breed not much seen in the US & I don't think he is approved for any other registry. Ali says Legend was competing Intermediare the last she knew.

Daynhart Guest

There is a horse named Legend on this site
    http://www.paardenfokken.nl/pedigree.php?horseid=6404

Quote Originally Posted by Daynhart View Post
    There is a horse named Legend on this site
    http://www.paardenfokken.nl/pedigree.php?horseid=6404
    That is very, very interesting because I am pretty sure that is the pedigree for the Legend this thread is about, but I was pretty sure he was NOT KWPN. H-m-m-m-m. I sure don't know. Brings up an interesting point here ... what registry is he?

I bred to this stallion twice.
    Got two very talented, extremely difficult horses out of it. But it could have been the mare. She produced several very nice horses by different stallions, but when mated to this one, she produced really hard, aggressive, difficult ones. Bad match I guess.

Anyways. He was registered NRPS.
    I got NRPS papers for both foals out of the TB mare.

This was a long time ago, when he first stood at stud, 11 years ago, in 1997. The first colt I bred would now be 10 this year, so if your mom's horse was bred while the stallion was in quarantine then he would be 10 or 11 this year, as I am not certain if I bred to him the year he was imported or the year after.

He was indeed 17.2 and a gorgeous sabino chestnut with outstanding movement, talented and shown to at least PSG before he was gelded and sold. Very well bred Gelderlander stallion. I have photos of him if you would like to see them. I cannot post them here as I am not a permium member or whatever, but I can certainly send them to you.
    Quality European Warmbloods
    www.centrelinefarm.ca

Daynhart Guest

Default G

Quote Originally Posted by Evalee Hunter View Post
    That is very, very interesting because I am pretty sure that is the pedigree for the Legend this thread is about, but I was pretty sure he was NOT KWPN. H-m-m-m-m. I sure don't know. Brings up an interesting point here ... what registry is he?
    KWPN is arised by a fusion of VLN and NWP in 1969.
    A small group did not want go along, but chose for the maintenance of the original type of the gelders horse. Space has been made within the KWPN.
    Within KWPN you can now distinguish three directions: riding horse, harness Horse and gelders horse. There is interesting Article on the site http://home.claranet.nl/users/lijssel/nederlnd/evl.htm
    but than of course it is in Dutch witch is my native language what can explain that my English is terrible

Daynhart Guest

Default Gelderlander horse

I have found a text in English. That will be mutch easier to read.
    http://www.gelderlanderhorse.nl/english/revolution.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Centerline Farm View Post
    . . . . shown to at least PSG before he was gelded and sold. Very well bred Gelderlander stallion. I have photos of him if you would like to see them. I cannot post them here as I am not a permium member or whatever, but I can certainly send them to you.
    The information I had FROM LEGEND'S OWNERS was that he was gelded "so he could concentrate on his show career" & that he was at 4th level at the time. This was around 4 years ago. He did go on to higher levels after that, but according to the info I have he was gelded before he reached Intermediare or PSG.

How were you able to get NRPS papers? Do they not inspect? Or do they inspect in this country? Or are they a division of KWPN as I think Daynhart is saying? If NRPS is a division of KWPN, then do you go to a KWPN inspection?
    Last edited by Evalee Hunter; Apr. 10, 2008 at 09:59 AM. Reason: correcting typographical error.

Daynhart Guest

Default NRPS and KWPN

The information I had FROM LEGEND'S OWNERS was that he was gelded "so he could concentrate on his show career" & that he was at 4th level at the time. This was around 4 years ago. He did go on to higher levels after that, but according to the info I have he was gelded before he reached Intermediare of PSG.

How were you able to get NRPS papers? Do they not inspect? Or do they inspect in this country? Or are they a division of KWPN as I think Daynhart is saying? If NRPS is a division of KWPN, then do you go to a KWPN inspection?
    Nore NRPS, nore KWPN is a race. They both are Sportregisters studbooks with different standards but it is possible that a horse has a KWPN-registration and a NRPS-registration. Just like the horse I am looking for.
    Daynhart is KWPN 90.5178 and NRPS NRA 940010*90. He is the father of my mare, Nicol. Nicol is a KWPN, however Daynhart was a licensed stallion for the NRPS and he was never licensed for the KWPN. The first 2 digits of the KWPN-registrationnumber is the year of birth while for the NRPS it is the last 2 digits.

The NRPS has 3 Breeding Registers:
    - Dutch riding pony with Arabian blood (NPA) Ponies must have a minimum of 25% Arabian blood and a maximum height of 1.48m
    - Dutch riding horse with (Anglo-) Arabian blood (NRA)
    Horses must have a minimum of 12,5% Arabian or Anglo-Arabian blood:
    This register can be divided into the category Riding horses small size (1.48rn - 1.57m) and Large size Riding horses (from 1.57m).
    - Anglo-Arabian thoroughbreds (AA) a closed register; only open to English or Arabian thoroughbreds
    http://www.inspo.com/registration.htm

KWPN horses have been split into three distinct breeding directions:
    - the Riding type (RP): improved blood (Gelderlander and Groninger horses improved with Oldenburger, Holsteiner, Thoroughbred, etc.)
    - the Gelders type (GP): cannot exceed more than 12,5% improved blood, of witch maximum 6,25 % may be American Saddlebred or Hackney
    - the Harness type (TP): more than 75% Hackney or American Saddlebred blood

Default Also looking for registry on this horse?

I realize this is an old thread, but I also know someone with a Legend baby (two actually, both beautiful girls). I have been trying to find a link to his registry listing and cannot. Jleegriffith, where did you find your info on him?

I am sure no one is watching this thread any more, but I have a Legend mare (1999) out of a DWBxTB dam.

She is wonderful. I would love another one just like her. I ride her dressage (3RD) and she is great but have jumped her in the past, and she was nice over the fences too.

She is big (hence my name) 17.1/2 and has a hard time with collection but tries her heart out. I am not a mare person, but I would take a mare like this anytime.

I have a couple of pictures of Legend. He looks a lot like my mare. Big and chestnut. He was imported and had another name in Germany, cant remember what it was at this time.

She has a couple of issues. She either has shivers or EPSSM, either way it is very manageable. She also had a problem with a pregnancy earlier in life and can no longer be bred.

Let me know if you are interested in any of the info I have.