The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Big Brown

Anybody been following this horse? Rumor is his next start is in the Florida Derby. He hasn't ran against the best horses but his wins have been dramatic. He did have some sort of injury last year, but they won't say what.

This is his race yesterday.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L-vrpMD8PA

You can see his debut that was also very impressive on cal racing.

His effort of yesterday was cited in the 'derby thread' and I thought someone inquired about him before in 2007 on that thread too.

The FL Derby will potentially get a few hopefuls who otherwise aren't being cited as leading KY Derby contenders: Tomcito and Hey Byrn come to mind.

Talking yay!

I was the one who inquired about him on the "triple crown class" thread! He was/is my early Derby pick. So glad he's back and lookin' fine!

I don't think it was pointed out, but the race Wed was supposed to be on turf. However was moved to the main dirt course. It might support to some degree why this grass field didn't materialize as expected.

IEAH Stables "Big Brown dazzles in return"

The race was originally scheduled for the turf and moved to the main track due to rain. That resulted in the scratches of Akin, Sailor's Cap, Cyryaco, Moral Compass, Caberneigh, and Il Girasole, and reduced the field size to five, ages 3 and up, which have never won a race other than maiden, claiming, or starter, or which have never won two races.
    He cruised the wire with one mile complete in 1:35.66 over a fast main track and earned a 104 Beyer Speed Figure.

Did I read right he is going to run in the Bluegrass? He was impressive!
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    Did I read right he is going to run in the Bluegrass?
    He's owned by the syndicate partnership IEAH Stables (who also owns Kip Devile, et al) and it would appear they are going to point him to the Grade 1 $1 million Florida Derby on March 29th. Keeneland and the Blue Grass was another option and perhaps on paper more logical with his grass background mating better with the poly-track at Keeeneland.

"We got to thinkin' and drinkin' last night, and, by the time we were done, we decided the Florida Derby would be the best option," said Dutrow, who trains Big Brown for the IEAH Stables and Paul Pompa Jr. "Since he was well within himself and really didn't have to give his best effort in this race, bringing him back in 24 days for the Florida Derby is no problem at all. And I love the five weeks we'd have to the Kentucky Derby if things continue to work out for us."

Dutrow also said he has secured the services of jockey Kent Desormeaux for the Florida Derby, even though the veteran rider had been scheduled to ride on the Dubai World Cup card that same day.

"Wherever Big Brown goes, Mr. Desormeaux will go," said Desormeaux's agent, Mike Sellito.
    Source: DRF 3-6-08

I think after Curlin last year jumping up in class so fast a lot of people who would've scoffed at this fairytail plan might be a bit less vocal. I still have to shake my head and wonder what they are thinking. However the field does look to be coming up a bit weak so there is a decent chance to get up there for a piece. One big gun in that race will be Elysium Fields who ran across that track to 2nd in the Grade 2 $350k Fountain of Youth on Feb 29th.

Other FL Derby entries expected:

Hillsbrook Farms’ Cool Gator, Robert LaPenta’s Da’Tara, Robert Evans’s Elysium Fields, M375 Thoroughbreds and Suarez Racing’s Golden Spikes, Bea Oxenberg’s Hey Byrn and Jetset Racing’s Tomcito

Wow, Desormeaux must really think highly of him. I can't imagine giving up a mount in the richest race in the world for just any horse.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I heard or read somewhere that Big Brown has some feet issues. I should qualify that I am pretty sure it was about Big Brown-problems keeping him sound etc etc. That worries me.

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

Quote Originally Posted by miss_critic View Post
    I heard or read somewhere that Big Brown has some feet issues. I should qualify that I am pretty sure it was about Big Brown-problems keeping him sound etc etc. That worries me.
    The Bloodhorse article quotes his trainer as saying BB has had hoof issues, including a couple of quarter cracks, and that's what kept him on the shelf for so long.
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Okay, nothing against the horse himself, who does sound very promising, but WHO comes up with these names?????

Surely they could have done better than that. OTOH, it beats the Green Monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    Okay, nothing against the horse himself, who does sound very promising, but WHO comes up with these names?????

Surely they could have done better than that. OTOH, it beats the Green Monkey.
    I couldn't agree more. I mean, Big Brown? Big Truck? Spanky Fischbein? Laysh Laysh Laysh? Gayego? Surely if people are paying thousands of dollars a month to keep these horses in training at the top level, they can pay someone to come up with better names!

God forbid he wins the Triple Crown. I can see it now-- Gallant Fox... War Admiral... Citation... Affirmed... Big Brown. It just doesn't work.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I feel a swamee exacta coming on with Big Brown and Big Truck.

Too bad Big Brown is with Dutrow, I can't stand that guy. Did anyone see the interview with him after the BC? That was just one of many I've seen confirming that he has no class. I'm sure someone on here likes him, and I'm no Queen Elizabeth, but jeez he's crude.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

BB was supposedly named for Phil Lesh's bass. While I agree it's not the most refined name, I don't hate either. The meaning behind it is kind of cool if it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_critic View Post
    BB was supposedly named for Phil Lesh's bass.
    Bass? As in fish? Or guitar?

Randy Moss at ESPN weighs in on Big Brown (perhaps they should approach UPS for sponsorship - "what can big brown do for you")

ESPN Randy Moss 3-8-08 "Durability a question mark for latest phenom, Big Brown"

excerpts regarding sire and dam:

His sire, Boundary, did not race until April of his 3-year-old season. He was brilliant in his first two starts, then went back on the shelf the rest of the year. When Boundary made it back in January 2004, he reeled off three more wins in succession. Boundary ran six times in all as a 4-year-old, outrunning ultimate Breeders' Cup Sprint winner Cherokee Run in the A Phenomenon Stakes at Saratoga in August before the injury bug surfaced again and sent him to the stud barn.

Big Brown's dam, Mien, finally raced in September of her 3-year-old season. After two races and a maiden win at Pimlico, she was done for good. Mien was a daughter of the great sire Nureyev, who had to be retired after just three starts on the track.
    And he's had hoof issues? Shocker ...

But in my opinion, the basic premise holds true. Nowadays, potential talent is king, while potential durability is nothing but a lowly servant.

In this instance, Dutrow says Big Brown has already battled two quarter cracks in his brief career, and it can be surmised that he started on grass last summer because that surface would be easier on his brittle feet. Clearly, Big Brown is a phenomenally talented colt, but he may have too much in common with Badge of Silver, another shooting star on the Derby radar screen several years back with colossal talent but whose legs were too fragile to get him to the promised land.

http://www.phillesh.net/
    They are a band. Yeah, fish would be pretty funny though

Big Brown is a reference to the college sports team of the prior owner, who gave him the name.

Big Truck is by Hook and Ladder. I have no idea who Spanky Fischbein is named for.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Big Brown is a reference to the college sports team of the prior owner, who gave him the name.
    Really? I thought the owned Paul Pompa Jr has retained a 25% stake outright and he graduated from Kings College in Wilkes-Barre, PA - a liberal arts, reglious affiliated school with the mascott the Monarchs.

That was what I was told, I never verified it. Maybe "Big Brown" refers to a team that Pompa supports or follows?
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

I wonder why there are 2 stories out there. Well, if he does really well, we shall find out!

He put in a solid work out with another turf star from the IEAH stables for March 19th:

IEAH Stables and Paul Pompa Jr.’s rapidly developing 3-year-old colt Big Brown fired a bullet workout March 19 at Palm Meadows, solidifying his potential as the favorite in the Florida Derby.

Under jockey Kent Desormeaux, the two-for-two son of Boundary drilled a handy five furlongs in 1:00 2/5. It was the fastest of eight works at that distance that morning, including stablemate and 2007 Breeders’ Cup Mile winner Kip Deville.

“I know he worked good again,” trainer Rick Dutrow Jr. said. “The plan has been going well, and he’s done everything we wanted him to do so far.”
    Although compared to the another Palm Meadows-based runner, Tomcito, that was not as fast. The Peruivian-shipper went faster but at Gulfstream. They'll face off in the Florida Derby