The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A perfect match for my Don Gregory mare - Suggestions?

I am looking for suggestions on which stallion (preferably Han, but could be Old) would be a good match for my mare. Here's a bit about her: she is a 16'2 Oldenburg mare by Don Gregory out of a Goldstern mare (full sister to Donna Gina if anyone knows her). She has the best temperament I have ever seen, extremely rideable as she was trained to Int.1 by an amateur and showed at the NAYRC. She has correct conformation although slightly long in the back, very good gaits with a wonderful hind end but a somewhat limited shoulder action. She had a gorgeous Sandro Hit filly who is coming 3 this spring but not yet undersaddle, this was her first foal.

I am looking to breed a dressage horse, but I've seen many people use jumper blood also. Would that be an idea? Ideally, the result I am looking for would be a forward-thinking horse with good movement, sensitive but not overly hot or spooky, somewhere in between a lady amateur's horse and a pro's horse... I would also be interested in young up-and-coming stallions, and stallions either in NA or Europe (the mare caught on the first try of frozen, so that is a viable option for me).

I absolutely adore this mare, but my work schedule over the next few years is not going to allow me to ride her consistently and I have space at home to keep her, so breeding her again seems reasonable. I have limited knowledge of which bloodlines cross best, so I'm looking forward to all suggestions as a starting point for my search of the perfect match

also, let me see if i can dig up a picture of the mare if that helps...

love Don Gregory! Without seeing your mare, I also would say something Sandro Hit (proven crosses on the Donnerhall line).

Some others to consider,
    Londonderry, Pik L (thinking Donnerhall/Pik Bube cross)

Best of Luck
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

Dorriene:

I own Donna Gina (Don Gregory/Goldstern). website: shadowfoxfarms.com

I have had 3 foals with my mare that is a full sister to yours. I would be happy to share my thoughts with you. My favorite foal was by Stedinger out of this mare.

Are you the original rider of this mare? I communicated with her owner years ago when we discovered our full sisters. They came from Oliver Kostchasky (sp?) in the Oldenburg area of Germany. I contacted Evi Strasser at Oliver's suggestion searching to purchase Donna Gina's full sister. Please contact me directly.

laurawhitford@msn.com

Laura
    www.shadowfoxfarms.com

You might want to look at the Sandro Hit son Sinatra Song - http://www.hphanoverians.com/.

Laura (LTW) would be a good person to talk to since she has your mare's full sister. She is also a very knowledgable breeder with an excellent eye.

ltw: yes, I am the original owner (i remember contacting you a few years ago, I absolutely loved your mare in pictures). I never realized you would lurk on Coth:-) I will send you an email...

that's it, no other suggestions? pleeease

I would consider Royal Prince for her. I have seen some really nice Royal Prince babies and the R-line crosses nicely with the D-line. I have a Donnerschlag mare who is due to foal out a RP in May. He is a lovely stallion who adds very good type, long legs, a great walk, with other gaits being quite nice. He needs a more uphill mare (IMO).

I would also consider Rosenthal (approved GOV) - he has some truly lovely offspring, is homozygous for black points (if you like that), and has great rideability - plus a super pedigree (Rubenstein - Karon).

Another R line to consider would be Rubino Bellissimo (Violet Jen's stallion), I have seen some very nice babies by him.

If Laura W (owner of the full sister) has any, you might look at Rhodes Scholar. The offspring that I have seen are beautiful and he is an FEI level dressage horse. Laura used to sell his frozen semen. Rhodes Scholar was ranked really high in the FN values last year for dressage (15th?)

Mo Swanson had a lovely Rosentanz (stallion in Germany) filly last year and has high praise for what he threw. You can see this filly at www.rollingstonefarm.com under Broodmares --> EM Fhlora (it is her filly).

I adore Riccione (Brookhouse Station). He is TRULY gorgeous. Ticofuzzy who posts here had a great colt by him last year via frozen. He is very refined with a super neckset (Arongo damline) and is an FEI dressage horse. You can see some of his videos at www.pro-stallions.com

Those are the AHS/GOV stallions I would look at first (outside of the SH lines); some are fresh, some are frozen.

Dorienne:

One thought. My Donna Gina is only 16 hands and is petite, fine boned and feminine. But every foal she has had has been BIG! Very, very leggy, 17 hands. So that means your mare will probably throw a big foal too. I think it must be coming in the mother line.

I have had a Rhodes Scholar with her and this was a very nice colt. Very tall, leggy and uphill. A bit on the lazy side as a 3 year old when he was first started. I would have liked him to have a little bit more of a GO BUTTON. But he was sweet and beautiful. I do not have any more frozen semen from him.

Both of my "Sandro Hit" line foals out of this mare were even taller than the Rhodes Scholar. Really tall. My Samarant colt I suspect will be 17 hands Plus.

YOu can see pictures at my website. www.shadowfoxfarms.com

There are photos of the Rhodes Scholar foal as a 3 year old under saddle and pictures of the Stedinger filly as well.

That's funny, the mare's Sandro Hit filly is quite small, only around 16 hands and coming 3 this spring! She was 3 weeks early, I don't know if that had anything to do with it? Stedinger sounds intresting - i'm also hoping for a forward-thinking horse, mare is very laid back.
    let me dig up some pics...

Thought of 2 more you could look at - the full brother Rubin Royal and Blue Hors Romanov. I know that they have had good success with their frozen in the US.

I also own an Hanoverian Don Gregory mare. She was bred with a jumper stallion, Lap Top (before I owned her) and gave a very nice foal. I migh be thinking of breeding her in the next couple of years and looking at all the spectacular choice of stallion available, I thought it would be a rather difficult choice. As my mare has a rather spooky temperament although she is a sweetie to handle, Hohenstein, has been recommended to me for his exceptional temperament.

Have you considered Wolkenglanz? He has proven to cross very well with "G" , "D" and "W" line mares.

Default Dorienne

If you get your mare in foal to Stedinger I would be happy to buy this foal in-utero. My Stedinger filly out of Donna Gina died from a freak accident. Torn Esoghas (sp?) and I can tell you she was in my opinion the best foal I bred in 19 years. I cried for 6 months over the loss of Serafina- she died at age 2.

I second the suggestion of Royal Prince, it sounds like he would be a wonderful match.

Also, what about Fabuleux?
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Quote Originally Posted by christiane View Post
    I also own an Hanoverian Don Gregory mare. She was bred with a jumper stallion, Lap Top (before I owned her) and gave a very nice foal. I migh be thinking of breeding her in the next couple of years and looking at all the spectacular choice of stallion available, I thought it would be a rather difficult choice. As my mare has a rather spooky temperament although she is a sweetie to handle, Hohenstein, has been recommended to me for his exceptional temperament.
    Hohenstein does tend to pass on a fabulous temperament but his frozen is by all accounts dreadful, unfortunately.