The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The "safer" post would have been "I have room at my farm for some horses if anyone needs to place one." And then be selective from there.

The little mare I thought I had available (I updated my thread) is not worthy of breeding IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by citydog View Post
    Because her criteria seems to be pretty much that it have a uterus. It's generally useful to have at least as much research go into finding the right mare as it is the stallion. And frankly, as she didn't give a whole lot of indication what her goals were for the foal, it makes it look like she just wants to crank out a foal. There is a huge surplus of horses in the US right now. If she isn't breeding for high level performance (no, not little local shows) and/or to otherwise better the breed, then there's really no excuse for it, as there are plenty of horses going through auctions for almost nothing and as giveaways. Breeding yet another unremarkable foal just dooms another one already on the ground to slaughter.

Uh huh. And what about being there for the next 25+ years of its life? How about being there for its last few hours and death at a Mexican slaughterhouse?

Yup.

Me too.
    Who's to say that this lady wouldnt be there for the foals 25+ years of life? I completely agree with you about the surplus of horses in the US, but alot of these horses that are going to the slaughterhouse are from owners that have no business owning a horse at all. I have taken several of these surplus horses in. This lady appears to be a responsible horse owner that is looking to take in one of the "extras" that is needing a home, and if she wants to breed a mare, then that is completely her business. Im sure that if the mare was completely unsuitable for breeding, she would think twice before breeding her. Her "Horse Wanted" post didn't ask for everyones opinion on if she should breed a mare or not....let's show a little respect for this new member of this forum.
    Zion Farm - Friesian & Norwegian Fjord Horses

JS Wiley:

I guess we were just stating that while there are still "extras" out there, why produce more unless they are of excellent quality? We have to start somewhere in controlling the population of horses, and we all have to take individual responsibility. It's all too easy for each of us to think "this one more" won't make a difference, but in reality, it adds up.

On Craigslist there are hundreds of horses for free or under a couple hundred bucks. The reality of a free mare producing anything worth more than that is very slim.

It may not always be this bad, but right now I really think everyone needs to do their part to get this situation under control.

Very well said. I 100% agree with you.
    Zion Farm - Friesian & Norwegian Fjord Horses

Well, thank you!

gloriginger,you said it very well.
    and to the op,,yes,,you may breed a great lifetime baby for yourself and keep it all of it's years,,but if you don't for any reason and at any age,,what will happen to it? it's true that backyard breeders aren't necessarily the ones producing the vast numbers of horses headed to mexico and canada,,but if you buy a baby to raise that potentially removes one horse from that horrible ending. isn't that worth it? isn't it?