The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Any "Wap Paloosas" Fans Out there

I am currently looking at purchasing a Hunter Prospect that happens to be a "Wap Paloosa" , he is by the famous bred line and shows lots of potentional as a Fancy Show Hunter. Just wondered are there many showing? what do you guys think of them ? And are they still " frowned upon" in the show ring?
    I do know there has been some VERY successful and famous ones as well.
    Thanks for your OPINION..

What's a Wap Paloosa?! never heard of it before..
    i mean i know pintaloosa, walkaloosa, and stuff like that, but, i cant think of what wap would be short for :P
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Default Just to let you know..

There is a Breed Line out there that is "Waps" they are Appy & TB cross and VERY fancy Hunters. there is a website. jgappaloosas. and you can see all about them. They have shown here in Va & Md. for years and been very Successful on the line and Over Fences. I am looking at purchasing one and wanted some input . Take a look and let me know . He is NOT loud colored just a plain Bay. and only has a couple white spots only . no other than that .LOL

Quote Originally Posted by superpony123 View Post
    i mean i know pintaloosa, walkaloosa, and stuff like that, but, i cant think of what wap would be short for :P
    ditto
    *We tolerate behaviors in human beings that would horrify us if we saw them in a horse.*
    R.I.P El Salvador*
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]

Years ago Mike Rowe helped me with a jumper. Loved his Waps horses. If you don't buy it, send me a pt with the info!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

"Safety is sexy" - Jimmy Fallon
    #mindyourmelon

Julie Ely had one in her barn for years - I just can't remember his name right now.

He did very well at A shows, and was a sweetheart to deal with.

Julie Ely's app was Security Blanket, registered I think as as Wap's Con Game. Very nice horse!

I've known quite a few of the Wap apps - some colored, some not. Overall they're very nice movers with good temperments. We have a young app cross mare (solid) in the barn that belongs to a 14 year old girl. She's very fancy & sweet and has made a super project horse for her owner.
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by superpony123 View Post
    It's the appy breed line founded by a stallion named "Wap Spotted"

There were "waps" before him but I think that's where the sport breeding kicked in, crossing to TBs for sportier babies. A friend of mine who posts on SHB sometimes had a really lovely plain bay from Wap lines, who is just gorgeous
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia412 View Post
    Julie Ely's app was Security Blanket, registered I think as as Wap's Con Game. Very nice horse!
    Yes!!! thank you - I was going to go nuts trying to remember Niner's show name. Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    It's the appy breed line founded by a stallion named "Wap Spotted"

There were "waps" before him but I think that's where the sport breeding kicked in, crossing to TBs for sportier babies. A friend of mine who posts on SHB sometimes had a really lovely plain bay from Wap lines, who is just gorgeous
    Sorry dude, close but no. The foundation horse is Wap's Spot 2. Wap Spotted was sold in utero and has no connection with the original (and best) breeders of the Wappaloosas - JG Appaloosas, in PA. They stand 4 or 5 sons/grandsons of Wap's Spot 2 now and my GOD are they nice boys - fabulous sport horses and sweet sweet sweet on the ground.

http://www.jgappaloosas.com/ (the Wap Spotted clarification is at the bottom)

Here's my Wappaloosa - his mom is a Wap's Spot 2 daughter:

http://i26.tinypic.com/2w5oxzs.jpg

You can see my other appaloosas - a Southern World daughter and her son - in my signature. My mare was meant to be bred to Waps Rolls Royce, but she had a bad case of age catching up on her so that's up in the air now. My goodness it would have been an awesome cross, though.
    Last edited by Delighted; Mar. 3, 2008 at 10:07 PM.
    "talking about love is like dancing about architecture..."
    A Wink & A NodPlaying by HeartA Wing & A PrayerBest to be Elusive

Apps Rock! I do not have a Wap bred horse, but I have four Apps, with varying degrees of appaloosa-ness in appearance.

But to answer your question about prejudice....

My oldest one is seven, and his color is between a snowflake and a blanket type. Although I only do mostly local shows, he has been to a couple of A shows. Wherever he goes, he does well without ever any predjudice. People tell me all the time that he looks like a warmblood with color. He is a nice mover, and good enough jumper.

The only time he has not pinned in an u/s class was when the judge was a young professional A show rider at a local show. I have heard that the only risk of prejudice is from insecure judges, and for me, there was only that one time.

The App breeders know how to breed good movers. They follow the QH people for their HUS horses... lots of extension, loose shoulders, deep hocks, flat knees, pointed toes, and some float time.

There are some fabulous Apps showing H/J . Not so much in Texas, but that's what makes it fun!

Here's my first App:
    http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...ictures068.jpg

Here's a long yearling (during a gawky looking stage, but moving well):
    http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...07_320x240.jpg
    Last edited by ToTheNines; Mar. 4, 2008 at 09:12 PM.

I love the Wap line. The ones I have seen are such spectacular jumpers that they would offset any color prejudice.

Hubby's gelding is by Wap's Reflection. The horse is handsome, personable and athletic. He hunts and he trail rides. Probably could have shown.
    He's very colorful and has that unfortunate Appy trait of short wispy tail and mane. But as hubby points out, don't have to worry about cockleburs or braiding!
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by dawglover View Post
    Hubby's gelding is by Wap's Reflection. The horse is handsome, personable and athletic. He hunts and he trail rides. Probably could have shown.
    He's very colorful and has that unfortunate Appy trait of short wispy tail and mane. But as hubby points out, don't have to worry about cockleburs or braiding!

I get a lot of teasing, but one of my favorites is that the Indians bred them that way so they did not have tail hairs to get pulled out and make them easier to track.

Quote Originally Posted by Darden View Post
    Years ago Mike Rowe helped me with a jumper. Loved his Waps horses. If you don't buy it, send me a pt with the info!

I worked for Mike in 1999 and rode for him. I saw a few of his "Waps" and fell in love with this line If I was into apps I would sooooo buy one!!!
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Talking

I don't have a Wap but I have an appy with something along the line of a gater head. That's what the breeder called it. He's super cute, and a complete gentleman! Love Apps now, he's my second. Hope to show him this year. Good luck!

My baby's profile

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...03144271QhZaaY

Just farting around the show taking in the sights.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...03144271KoScIy

I have appaloosa sport type horses and they are not of the Wap line. The Wap spotted line is simply a foundation line of app blood. There are other very good examples of sport type appaloosas out there, although the Wap horses seem to be the best known.

We have a large plain bay gelding(Wap Spot) that is an awesome mover with great rhythm and cadance to his gaits. A real sweetheart to deal with but just not the jumper we were hoping he would be! Willing to jump anything, very powerful, just doesn't pull his knees up. Guess we will try dressage with him.

There is a Wap Appy at the barn at my daughter's trainer's barn - called Point Taken. He and his owner were CHSA points leaders last year until he injured himself in October. Oh they were so bummed!

He healed quickly and will be back this year with his young owner. He's an awesome horse - formerly owned by a good friend of mine. He is very very smart - we swear that he counts his owns strides between jumps - you can see him self-correcting.

my mare had a waps baby .. waps mohogany his is registered name. daddy was Waps Reflection. He was GORGEOUS and kicked some major behind in hand at devon and elsewhere. not sure where he is exactly now, but boy was he something to look at! the deepest red/brown bay coat you would ever see. he was VERY pretty.