The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Talking Any stallion owners LOWERING stud fees?

With EVERYTHING costing more, feed, vet, gas, etc. And babies selling for less...... are there any stallion owners who are dropping their stud fees to help mare owners?

I did see that Silver Creek Farms in Broken Arrow Ok has dropped all of their stud fees to $1000 - first collection included. I am rewarding them for that by buying at least 4 breedings.

Anyone know of any other stallion owners dropping their fees?
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
    With EVERYTHING costing more, feed, vet, gas, etc. And babies selling for less...... are there any stallion owners who are dropping their stud fees to help mare owners?

I did see that Silver Creek Farms in Broken Arrow Ok has dropped all of their stud fees to $1000 - first collection included. I am rewarding them for that by buying at least 4 breedings.

Anyone know of any other stallion owners dropping their fees?
    Yup. We're offering a limited breeding special of $350.00 to Mannhattan. His usual stud fee is $1,500.00 and the contract is exactly the same - 3 year live foal guarantee, etc. No hidden costs or charges. A screaming deal for a fully licensed, performance tested, successful in the competition ring stallion that has a fully licensed son and is approved and licensed for breeding with Oldenburg N.A., Belgian Warmblood Breeding Association and the International Sporthorse Registry. You can check it out at http://www.avalon-equine.com

Kathy St.Martin
    Equine Reproduction Short Courses
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com

We did for the last two years.
    Puerto is $650 this year but his Get have really taken off now and proving themself in the rated rings in the top standings, so next year we will go back to the original stud fee.
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Hilltop Farm lowered all their stud fees. I've booked 2 stallions.

Default We did.

We dropped our stud fee from $ 1500 cdn including first collection to $ 1200 including first collection. Our stallion has produced, in his first foal crop, a horse who at the age of 7 just moved up to the Level 8s (4'9") and in his second crop an approved son. We consider Clover Cliste a bargain/hidden treasure with Clover Hill as his sire and the fact that he is the only approved Irish Sport Horse stallion by Clover Hill in NA. He is also well bred on the mare line with Ozymandias as his dam sire.

There was a thread about this earlier.. Young stallion named Waterford out of Consul has almost a free studfee, if I am not mistaken! I have a foal by him who turned out incredible!!!

To celebrate Cielo B earning his permanent license, I dropped his fee to $500 from now until April 1st.
    Ronda
    www.risingstarfarm.net
    Standing Abrikos, Cartier R, Cielo B, Ciroc, Deja Blue, Diabolo d'Esquelmes, Esteban, Figaro B, Jus d'O, Kinnaras, Valentino Z

Become a fan on FB - Rising Star Farm

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I am.

I found a young stallion that I am using for my old mare whose owner's opinion was that you shouldn't have to compromise on your dream horse just because the economy sucks. So she still wants to help make dreams come true.

It really struck a chord in me. As we're still stumbling along toward our 3rd level scores, I'm dropping to $750, and far, far less for interested Sportpony mares. (like, *cost*)

Sometimes I feel very badly that my horse is held back by his sucky rider. He'd be so much further and have so much more exposure with someone more competent.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Default Lower stud fee

I lowered the stud fee to our stallion Glannant Broadway, section A Welsh to $350 with no booking fee.
    www.huntervalefarm.com

I've always made sure my prices were competitive and give huge discounts for performance mares or proven mares. The better the girl the better the discount.

I really don't understand why if operating costs are all increasing, you'd want to LOWER your charges.

Seems perverse logic to me!

I've got to say that its interesting (as in really REALLY bizarre) that folks are booking a mass of stallions just because the fee is reduced and at a time when cost of ownership is going up and price of youngstock is falling because of the number of horses flooding the market from folks who can no longer afford to keep them.

Smacks to me of just trying to generate a volume market and considering this is about breeding horses for the future, it seems like irresponsible breeding to me.

I can however entirely understand the proposition of lowering price when its a fantastic high quality mare about to come to your stallion.

And I'm getting many European stallions via frozen, and it is unreal what some stallion owners want per dose. Mind you, they all want it in Euro's as the dollar fluctuates so much. I had to do some pretty real hard negotiating to get some down to a reasonable price (shakes head). One stallion owner even said, that if the dollar was weaker on the day I would transfer the money to him, the discrepancy was my responsibility, but not the other way around. OK sure, I'll post your stallions right on my website and start selling those, really

all I can say is WOW

Vainqueur HUBBA HUBBA
    Have you got any movement photos?

I love Lupicor but he is pretty pricey for 1 dose. Guess you have to pay for the big guns. I love Niveau but haven't seen anyone in the US handling him either.
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

We have Elio's stud fee @ $650 until April 15th. That includes the booking fee. Our goal since Elio is still so young is to get some quality foals on the ground.

Default Breeding values

We had a select discount when our stallions were less proven but dropped our fee to $1,050 to compete with frozen semen rates on equivalent Hanoverian and Holsteiner Verband approved horses, as our own are also. In addition they are in about 6 other North American registries. Now moreso than ever mareowners need a break, and studfees have not really risen much in 20 years, still it is difficult to succeed and build up good mare stock and such when there are so many financial challenges. Vets might give some consideration as well that their breeding industry needs support.

Synergy Sporthorses
    Home to Cotopaxi and Raffaello
    http://www.hunterjumperstallions.com

So people can't afford hay, shavings, hoof care, vet care, or board, but they need to be breeding MORE horses and adding MORE to the problem? That doesn't seem right. If you look at equine.com there are THOUSANDS of really nice, well bred horses, many of them with great show records, selling for a song and a biscuit because the economy is so horrible right now. I would think stallion owners would keep their prices high to help avoid their babies ending up in auction yards. I can appreciate the fact that stallion owners are suffering with the economy, but encouraging even more flooding of the market doesn't seem productive to me.

With these low prices (1150 down to 350???!!!!?) are you also keeping your mare qualifications high? Or are you accepting any mares?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    I really don't understand why if operating costs are all increasing, you'd want to LOWER your charges.

Seems perverse logic to me!

I've got to say that its interesting (as in really REALLY bizarre) that folks are booking a mass of stallions just because the fee is reduced and at a time when cost of ownership is going up and price of youngstock is falling because of the number of horses flooding the market from folks who can no longer afford to keep them.

Smacks to me of just trying to generate a volume market and considering this is about breeding horses for the future, it seems like irresponsible breeding to me.

I can however entirely understand the proposition of lowering price when its a fantastic high quality mare about to come to your stallion.

Have to say Thomas you make a good point...

but a deal is a deal... and If this said dream horse is for personal reasons.. then go for it.. get the best deal you can and 'build' your dream riding partner...

P~

Well, I wasn't going to say anything until a few others spoke up...but I raised my stud fee this year. I thought it was too low for what my stallion has done and I did want to discourage frivolous interest in him...people who call wanting a buckskin baby and want to crossbreed to him just for color for example. He was $350 and he's up to $450 which is really pretty high in our breed. I do have a very reasonable collection fee cost $75 and $50...so I am trying to help keep breeding costs affordable as much as I can.

Default It's about remaining competitive....

And, for us, it's also done with a keen eye to having a fantastic first crop of Canadian foals on the ground next spring, even if our new lads are already well proven Stateside.

Not only have we

1. Kept each of our lads stud fees at the very reasonable rates they've been at for the past several seasons, not one over 1K,

but also

2. Offer very attractive early booking, performance, returning and multiple mare discounts (truly exceptional mares nearly at cost)

and

3. Always include the first collection & booking in the stud fee. As a mare owner, I find I get giddy over what seem to be great deals on outside stallions, but with the costs of collections added, it almost always turns out not to be the savings I had been expecting. In my mind, if you're going to make it a deal, then do so!

Of course, we've opted to provide collections 7 days a week, and we ship throughout North America. I think that for most mare mare owners, it proves to be a strong selling point. Breeding is bloody expensive, and with general economic concerns thrown in, it becomes even more worrisome. Our goal is to help ensure optimum collection & insemination times, in an effort to try to avoid having to repeat the process and pay more collection/shipping fees.

All this for stallions with fantastic, very proven hunter bloodlines, one a Devon & International Hunter Futurity Champion. The lads have produced Devon winners, winners in the hunter ring in terrific company, prestigious state futurity champions, IHF winners, etc.

Aside from the business standpoint, we love working with mare owners who really share in our excitement about these fellows. One has to make the dream attainable, not exorbitant and nearly impossible!
    Last edited by poneez; Mar. 3, 2008 at 05:52 PM.
    Baystar Farms
    Proudly offering stallions of the highest calibre to discerning hunter breeders - Harvest Moon, Outrageous Fortune & Tantallon All American.
    www.baystarfarms.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Jump View Post
    Vets might give some consideration as well that their breeding industry needs support.

Synergy Sporthorses
    Home to Cotopaxi and Raffaello
    http://www.hunterjumperstallions.com
    Okay, no offense, but you can't really believe that it is the veterinarian's job to subsidize the breeding industry?
    As someone who is in the veterinary industry, you can bet that our drug companies, food companies, etc. aren't giving us any breaks at all. In fact, they are raising costs considerably, mostly attributed to rising fuel costs which affect the shipping.
    If we discount our services, we can discount ourselves right out of business. When you consider that breeding *is* a luxury service, as far as veterinary services goes, then I can't see how anyone would expect to get a break (pricewise).
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com