The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default I am now ashamed to be an avid Fugly reader

after the nastiness of the comments on youtube videos! Seriously, folks, it is one thing to comment and laugh among yourselves on a blog, but another to be nasty about a 12 year olds' riding in comments on THEIR video. Yes, it is the adults who are the idiots, but has it occured to some readers that putting someone on the defensive, especially teens (as it appears the video in particular was posted by a teen), does not optimize the opportunity to teach something? Shouldn't the responsible thing to be to try and make a difference by politely suggesting things and opening others' eyes to the dangerousness of a situation?
    Of course, some people should be dragged and quartered, as evidenced by the adult beating the snot out of a barrel horse, but seriously, I was a bit disgusted by the comments left.
    Anyone else feel this way?

Yeah. It always seemed to me the equivalent of shooting an unarmed man in the back in the Old West: the act of a coward who couldn't/wouldn't face somebody who could shoot back at them.

my thoughts too. I did enjoy reading it for entertainment value, but those nasty comments take it way too far.

I read Fugly sometimes, but I think there is often the "mob mentality", "sheep mentality", and the "superiority" complexes that read that blog and LOVE to make nasty, holy-am-I, uncompromising comments. It's like high school all over again. I often think a lot of people don't really "mature" as they get older, that sometimes they just get better at hiding the bad behavior. Places like the internet can often bring it out (also, when they are interacting with people in customer service positions).

The Fugly blog has a somewhat cult-like feel to it. I like to read it, because sometimes I learn from it, but you have to take the things she says, and things that the respondents say with a grain of salt. Some of the stuff is fact, and a lot of it is personal opinion/beliefs.

With the the people who respond, it seems to be free license to let loose on other people. Every time I read the comments, I get the sense of "I have to put other people down to feel better about myself". Most of the respondents seem to be this way, with a handful of sensible, logical people thrown in.

Start with opinion, add a cup full of assumptions, and you have a recipe for disaster. And, I wouldn't be surprised, if someday someone will get hurt of killed over something on that blog. There have already been news reports on people being harmed over OTHER things that have been posted on the internet, and being hunted down by strangers that thought they knew the facts and were the final say on "right" or "wrong".

Who ever said that "words could never hurt" didn't know what they were talking about. Words can be very destructive in their own right, and in the case of the Fugly blog (and not just THAT blog, but other venues of the internet,as well) could potentially incite further physical harm.
    Where you get people, you get stupid!

Wow! I just read all those comments and all I can say is WOW I really hope that girl did not read those
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/HECS04
    Proud Member of The Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!!!

May I have the Fugly link please? I need to check out what people are always talking about!

Not a Fugly Horse reader ... not really into snarky comments and/or making fun of stuff. Non of us are perfect, not everyone knows what they are doing is not right ... some people are very proud of their ugly horses or silly 'accomplishments'.

well I wouldn't comment on that stuff but for the person beating the barrell horse to go into the ring...STOOOPID!

*^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I read fugly for entertainment. I don't agree with everything the author says. And I COMPLETELY agree with the 'mob mentality' someone else mentioned. Folks just take every word she says as fact. Can they say, "Baaaaa!" ?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Am I ashamed to be an avid Fugly reader? No.

Am I ashamed to be lumped with the readers who ride into action e-mailing every individual mentioned on the blog and doing nothing but harass and create a defensive mentality? Yes!

Unfortunately, Fugly can't take the blame for Youtube. Not all of it. All those videos are posted on a public website and I have crawled it and run into some long before Fugly blogged them. If you want to share videos with friends and family there are other password-protected sites, like MySpace, or the comments can be disabled. Anybody can upload or link to your video if it is on Youtube. Nice people, serial killers. I enjoy Youtube, but find it morally troublesome.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I used to frequent a snark-oriented website. The Cardinal Rule was that you do not take your snark off-site and back to the source. Not everyone followed it, but the respected members touted the rule, and most people figured it out.

Perhaps Fugly will figure this one out.

Then again, I get the impression that the author delights in creating that slice of controversy. The way she reprints private emails with her replies interspersed for maximum witty impact suggests that she's certainly not worried about what her targets think. YouTubers be damned - it's what they're going for.

And they'll continue to hide behind the idea that "If it's on YouTube, they must want comments", but comments aren't what they're getting. They're getting a ready-made mob pointed in their direction, seeds of capslocky snark already planted. These video posters didn't ask for that, and these lesson kids certainly don't deserve it.

It's ridiculous.

Interesting problem, as always. The blog itself is something I do read, and there is something about it that I appreciate.

I'll try to articulate: the author has a mission - her mission is education. She is part of the solution, in that she seems to genuinely walk the talk - she rescues and rehomes horse in trouble. She's not a crazy collector, and she takes care of her own first. As a rescuer, you are talking about someone who has seen everything. Stuff I don't want imagine, because it would give me nightmares. And so her passion for education, given all of that, is communicated in a no-holds barred, kick them where it hurts style. I would bet she's also funny as hell in real life, so that helps the whole thing work.

She has a following - a large, diverse following. Some of those people are looking in the mirror and not seeing what's really there, if you know what I mean , some of them are self-righteous, some of them are mean-spirited, some of them are genuinely there to be educated, some are there to help, and some are there just for entertainment.

But, it's not the author's responsibility to police her audience. Getting value out of the blog and what it stands for does not mean that you are required to appreciate, respect, admire, etc, the blog's audience.

I can certainly see the point that the OP is making. And I wish that people would use good judgment and common sense and sometimes more kindness in responding (particularly) to young people on the internet. But I also wish every day for World Peace, and that hasn't gone very well yet either . So, for now, as I still find the blog educational (on many levels), I'll keep reading.

The video comment thing has always made me feel uncomfortable.

I think what's worse, though, is when a craigslist ad gets posted- yes, the owner is usually an idiot, and yes, the horse is usually in bad shape. But I feel like when someone offers a cheap horse via craigslist, and a bunch of people send that owner "what the hell is wrong with you!??!?!?" emails, it probably doesn't do the horse any good. IMO, the ad gets pulled from CL, and then the owner, feeling out of options, just gives the horse to whoever shows up or ditches it at auction.

Just don't see how attacking really helps the situation, or helps those specific poor horses.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I read Fugly, it's entertaining. I don't always agree with the blogger, nor should I. (Anyone who 'follows' the blogger is just crazy!)

The comments are pretty harsh, and has caused many people to take down videos/pictures. While some of those videos/pictures really shouldn't have been up in the first place, others weren't horrible, or they were kids. I don't go and call them a @$$hat or ****tard, I try to give constructive critisim.

I always wonder, will one of my videos show up on fugly? One of my pictures? Then again, I really don't care. I have my horses, I show them, I ride them, I breed them (occasionally), and I train/send them to a trainer. Only a couple sit around, those are the young horses and the old horses. The oldest mare here isn't in the greatest condition, but I am trying hard for her, and I'm sure if I post pictures of her current condition Fugly will get on my case about how I MUST be a neglectful idiot to have a 24 year old horse in this condition.

Her comments as well as others seem unecessary, the bashing on a sale ad is really low. Obviously the person is getting rid of the horse for a reason, so buy it, don't bash the person selling.
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

I enjoy FHOTD and find it quite educational. I think she is doing a good service to come down on the backyard breeder. She also puts her money where her mouth is by rescuing and rehabbing. However, I must admit I was surprised to find out recently how many of the fugly readers ARE backyard breeders. And they don't even seem to realize it. Strange.

I LOVE that she calls out bad people. It's about damned time someone did! I do NOT like some of the posters though they are just plain mean. They just want to hurt people's feelings just for the sake of doing so.
    I did learn A LOT from her and plus, read any of Apples posts. She probably has educated me more about conformation than anyone else has. She is excellent at explaining and diagrams than anyone I've come across.

Default class issues

I agree with Reynard Ridge pretty much exactly. I enjoy reading the site, in parts. I find some bits and some of the forums productive and educational, other bits funny, and then there are a lot of times where the funny or educational crosses the line into a mob beat-down.

And despite many discussions over there about good horse care and good horse breeding having nothing to do with class (as in high income vs. low income), I think it fundamentally does. It comes out in the constant mocking of spelling and grammar, for example, or even in the fugly definition.

I was recently in Central America. Every poor working cowhand on the ranches there was riding the scrawniest, ugliest horses I've seen - but they were hardy and smart and did their job, and could survive on free range grazing. Of course they were bred - what cowhand could afford to buy a brand new horse?

The ranch owners and bosses and wealthier folks with horses had purebred pasos, with glossy coats and arched necks and high stepping action. A world of difference. And the very rich had imported European horses - warmbloods and Friesians and such.

There's a weird line there somewhere, where ugliness and poverty are often linked, and where they link I find it very uncomfortable to mock ugliness. But I can't always put my finger on the place where it shifts from justified to unjustified criticism, know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
    I
    She has a following - a large, diverse following. Some of those people are looking in the mirror and not seeing what's really there, if you know what I mean , some of them are self-righteous, some of them are mean-spirited, some of them are genuinely there to be educated, some are there to help, and some are there just for entertainment.

But, it's not the author's responsibility to police her audience. Getting value out of the blog and what it stands for does not mean that you are required to appreciate, respect, admire, etc, the blog's audience.

I can certainly see the point that the OP is making. And I wish that people would use good judgment and common sense and sometimes more kindness in responding (particularly) to young people on the internet. But I also wish every day for World Peace, and that hasn't gone very well yet either . So, for now, as I still find the blog educational (on many levels), I'll keep reading.
    I couldn't agree with you more!!! Her following is very diverse. I know some wonderful horse people who follow it, and I know some fugly fodder people who follow it (and can't seem to look in the mirror and see that THEY are the exact people she's talking about).

I also agree, that FHOTD can't really control her readers. People are going to do what they see fit... But I think people take it too far. I rarely, if ever, read the comments, as people have taken as a free for all, and take it way too far. I enjoy fugly's blog, but I'm glad I don't know some of the readers!

I felt bad for the girl who fell off the little appaloosa, that was her 3rd time riding and the pony skipped the jump. Fugly was saying how she should not have been jumping but...
    every trainer is different. When she got back on the pony her legs were probably a lot tighter.

HOWEVER...
    I don't feel bad at all for the adults that receive crap for the stupid sh!t that they do. and i don't feel bad for the kids who do obviously stupid sh!t either... (like the kid who dragged a mounting block with them over like a 4 foot jump).

Many of the comments on Youtube were clearly the writers getting their kicks being vicious or grandiose. It was nasty and it was sad, and I think they were 100% in the wrong to do that. But I also think the bigger problem is with people putting or allowing others to put videos of their children on the internet for public consumption. It's crazy. Girl Scouts are afraid to sell cookies door to door, but you want candid video of your children online for anyone to watch? I mean, it's not just the pedophile thing, it's also the very obvious problem of anyone in the child's life can see the video - ie, all her bitchy, nasty classmates who can use it as fodder to make her life hell. And of course, all the total strangers who seize the chance to play equestrian expert and critique her riding as nastily as possible to satisfy their own little power trips.

Re: the FOTD site - in my experience, the regulars of all websites/blogs develop a mob mentality. They all know each other, share basic beliefs (QH's are great, Pit Bulls are swell, Republicans are evil) that they reinforce every day when they visit the site, and disagreement is so rare that they go ballistic when someone says, hey, you know, I prefer TBs. There is some of this at Fugly, but not too much and she does rein it in somewhat. That said, I find it more carelessly aggressive than I like - emotions run very high as the stories can be nasty, and people tend to get holier-than-thou. And, of course, the people Fugly targets tend to be hyperaggressive, low-class types who fight back cussing and incoherent, which is hard NOT to feel superior to.