The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Was at the grocery store again and saw the high heeled breeches lady again! :)

Although, she wasn't quite as decked out as last time, she still sported her high heels and full seat breeches. Last time she had a halter top on full make up, this time, not as much make up and a long sleeve shirt, but still looked great! She is in her 40's (looks like--and LOOKS MARVELOUS!) LOVE that Scottsdale living!! LOL!! Last week saw 3 girls in high heels with their breeches long hair--looked fantastic, they were in their 20's--I think. Maybe it is the new trend???? Then there is me, T-shirt, had a hole in it that I had JUST done, and dirty shorts from cleaning around the house, messy hair and little make up. LOL While at Starbucks the other morning there were 4 dressage riders (from the boots/breeches) drinking expresso's and had already rode. They were SO clean!!! LOL. I'm all over my horses, lots of hugging, kissing squeezing, I for sure smell like them and have their dirt all over me.

Anyone else start that trend? High heels/breeches?
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

I remember the first thread...

I won't be starting a local trend of high heels/ breeches. I have flat feet and high heels hurt.

Well, it's not for me, but my mother-in-law can do and does everything in high heels. Of course, she is French. It is apparently an inheritable trait.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

So what do these people do? I am so confused. Are they changing out of their riding boots into high heels? I prefer tennis shoes presented with that option.

Or are some of them not really riders and just think it's cool to look like you ride??

Default never-clean

How do they do it? I can't leave the barn without being covered in hair, dust, mud, water or whatever else the season offers. I try to stay upwind while grooming and not soak myself while giving baths, but it just doesn't work! I guess you can pull it off if you have a groom who does all the dirty stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Well, it's not for me, but my mother-in-law can do and does everything in high heels. Of course, she is French. It is apparently an inheritable trait.

So.....your husband can do everything in high heels too...?

Oh I loved the first thread. WRH, my understanding that it's for the fashion element.

I always seem to stay fairly clean except the snotty boob thing, you know, just as you're putting them away and thinking, hey! I don't have to change before dinner, they smush into you with their big snotty nose? How would that look with heels?? I do go all over town in breeches-and dirty paddock boots, high heels???? Really????
    Don't toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Obsession View Post

Oh I loved the first thread. WRH, my understanding that it's for the fashion element.
    Funny comment about the French women and sooooooooooo true!!! I remember when I was studying in Paris . . I used to grab a baguette and sit at the Luxembourg gardens and watch all the cool frenchies. . . even though I was only 18 I KNEW walking in heels with gray hair over pathways made of tiny stones was a SKILL!!! Apparently they can do dressage or barn work in heels as well
    Last edited by erinwillow; Mar. 2, 2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: still can't spell!
    Willow Run Connemaras
    Home of: "Willow Boy" (*Chiltern Colm ex *Sillbridge Miranda by Thunderbolt)
    ~Irish Connemara Ponies for Sport and Pleasure~
    www.willowrunconnemaras.com

I am in my mid twenties and adore fashion. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing breeches and heals. That is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of. LOL..I am trying to picture myself finishing a ride, driving to the grocery store and busting out my dior stilletos, changing in the car and then going in???!
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

LOL!! I have ballet slippers that I put on,, the soft ones,, and EVERYONE gives me fits about THEM!! I can't IMAGINE going to wal mart in HEELS!! of course there are only a handfull of us (picture less than 10) in 90 miles that even know what breeches ARE!! LOL!!
    "Energy efficient vehicle. Runs on grass and oats. CAUTION: Avoid exhaust!"
    I think we should eat trolls.
    Troll meat. Now that's good eatin'.
    by Hiddenlake

Well I wasn't wearing high heels and no one has ever accused me of looking fabulous regardless of what I had on so I guess the fact that I was at both the Target and the Safeway in Scottsdale yesterday evening with my full seats on (sweatshirt & tennis shoes) means it wasn't me you saw I really never thought of it as a trend, just got out of work late, rode two horses and then ran to get my errands done since I knew I had 4 horses to ride this AM before cleaning the entire house for my MIL's upcoming visit. No time to change, definitely wasn't clean, sure I had some hay in my hair......and having time to cool my heels at Starbucks? ......OH you must have seen the REAL DQ's from these parts, the ones whose grooms tack and untack so they only have to ride, manicured to the hilt, perfect doo's, and a little nip and tuck here and there....yeah I know the crowd.

Hm, good looking woman wearing breeches and high heels. Was she by any chance carrying a crop as well? Maybe she doesn't ride at all but is looking for a date? I know quite a few guys that would go gaga over something like that!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

High heels would sink if you hit soft spot, wouldn't they?? Just imagine having to send out that distress call:

"Sacre blue, mon cherie! My heels haf sunk in zee poo!"

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Obsession View Post

Oh, I have no idea.. he never wears them but I bet if he did, he'd be good at it, cuz' he's good at everything he does

Seriously now, what I am referring to is what ErinWillow noticed... French women wear heels everywhere. I remember climbing around a castle in the rain and seeing women in high heels doing the same.. I was amazed! I doubt they learn this skill, but are born with it!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by twofatponies View Post
    How do they do it? I can't leave the barn without being covered in hair, dust, mud, water or whatever else the season offers. I try to stay upwind while grooming and not soak myself while giving baths, but it just doesn't work! I guess you can pull it off if you have a groom who does all the dirty stuff...

Me too. I make great attempts to stay presentable but within 30 seconds I can look like I rolled in something the dog spat up.

Keeps me humble. lol

Default Shhhh, don't tell anyone...

I'm not a fashion maven, and I certainly could not get away w/breeches and high heels. I do, however, wear clean breeches as every day pants . I'm fat and like comfy pants!

Not dressed up w/tall boots as a fashion statement...just casual w/ankle boots (kinda like jodhpur boots) and an oversized sweater.
    Last week I went to a client meeting in breeches, untucked long sleeved shirt under a fitted jacket. My client who is a fashion retailer, loved the look.
    She asked me what "designer" I was wearing!!!

(I should have said: Why, thank you...it's the 'Phat Rydere" look)
    Proud Rubenesquestrian

Lightbulb

****Phat Rydere****?????

Now that name should be trademarked! Excellent name for a breech company. I applaud your ingenuity!
    ~Equine Jewelry~
    Used Saddles For Sale
    www.divadesigns.biz

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
    High heels would sink if you hit soft spot, wouldn't they?? Just imagine having to send out that distress call:

"Sacre blue, mon cherie! My heels haf sunk in zee poo!"

My mother is Parisian and yes - that is exactly what she says when she comes to visit. That is - she says that if the pig hasn't run up to her and scared the snot out of her first.

Evidently, the "high heel" thing did not pass on to me. However, I'm pretty sure I was switched at birth so maybe that's why.

I think it is becoming trendy here. They look great and had great bods, the young ones had shirts/jackets that displayed horses (one with a barn name), so I know they were riders. I'm TOO fat, but working very hard at getting a great riding bod! I may try it someday if I'm brave enough! LOL I have a long way to go to be that confident. Seem to be seeing more and more of this "trend". Maybe word got around here at the barns, maybe the men do like it.
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

snoops is willing to give it a go...should be interesting reporting back!!!