The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do you think she loves the trail?

Old thread
    Last edited by Auventera Two; Dec. 30, 2011 at 03:33 PM.

That is way too cute. I wish I could have seen it. That must be some kind of horse. I'd like to find me one like that... I have a question for you, A2. Where do you live in WI and how much snow do you have there? We live up by Eau Claire and I swear there must be at least two feet of snow on the ground. It goes up over the knees of my 15.3 hh. horse. Do you have that much snow? And if so, how on earth do you ride through it? I mean, I don't know if I'd feel right making a horse go through that stuff. Do you have a way to pack the trails? Right now all we have are road edges and that really sucks.

What a great horse. Kudos to you for the training. What I wouldn't give for trails like that...
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

OK, how much do you want for that Arab mare of yours??? Or I could trade three of mine for her -- you choose!

Yeah, I guess if you rode enough it would stay packed. We're going to have to do that.We are working on conditioning our horses. But one of my mares has the softest feet and can't take any road edges or our gravel road. So they're going to have to do the deep snow. I just have never ridden horses in snow that deep before. I'm from Kentucky, we didn't get snow there. Maybe we ought to come over to your place and ride...

Hey, you can come here and ride any time you want!

What a special day. You must journal it so when you at 95 and can almost bear a 5 minute walk on a steady eddy, you can look back on your adventures and smile.
    Well there is no doubting she loves her job, eh.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Both my horses are like that! When I ride by myself, I ride one and let the other one run loose.
    The arab stays really close by either a horse length behind or ahead of us. The quarter horse runs around like a fool zigzagging all over the place while staying within 100 feet of us. After about 10 minutes he's tired and also stays right with me, mostly liking to lead.
    Out here in the desert there are miles and miles of land with no one around.
    I think it also helps them be better trail horses because they have to think and reason for themselves and have to look where they are going.
    I absolutely love it!
    Maria

Thumbs up oh please.....

I'll take her!

What's your price?

That is so awesome! I'm jealous. But that must give you quite the feeling of accomplishment for training her so well and having her love being out there with you guys so much. I wish we had the land to even THINK about doing that! We are lucky we have trails around here. Forget about having ones where its just woods for miles on private land! We had one mare that would probably be able to do something like that, but alas, we aren't far enough into the "wilderness" that we would have ever tried it.
    But that's great- it brought a smile to my face when I read about it. Thats not a horse just sticking by her buddies because of safety in numbers, thats a horse that truly wants to be with you and try to make you happy. You've got one special girl there. I'd try to offer up something for her, but I have a feeling its more about the connection with YOU than her just doing her job.

Quote Originally Posted by Romantic Rider View Post
    Yeah, I guess if you rode enough it would stay packed. We're going to have to do that.We are working on conditioning our horses. But one of my mares has the softest feet and can't take any road edges or our gravel road. So they're going to have to do the deep snow. I just have never ridden horses in snow that deep before. I'm from Kentucky, we didn't get snow there. Maybe we ought to come over to your place and ride...
    How about getting a pair of Cavallo boots? I bet that would help with those tender feet in the winter!

Default too cool!

A2, that was a really neat story. I just thought 'I've never checked the endurance forum before' and what a great intro thread to read! Y'all are soo cool, IMO (meaning people who ride trails, have such a seemingly natural way of going with your horses, traveling like they're meant to travel, just pretty darn neat).

I think endurance has to be just one of the neatest equestrian sports, definitely. And that's coming from a devoted eventer!
    The Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
    Freaky Farm Hermit Clique