The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default New Dover Catalog

I think I am flabbergasted to recieve my new catalog in HARD COVER!!!!!
    WTF where they thinking? Maybe the cost of putting the catalog in hardcover ,and shipping it out would be better spent in oh,I don't know,lower shipping charges. Are they going to do this with each new edition?Are we supposed to add them to our book collection? And ,of course ,it didn't fit in my mailbox ,so I made a special trip to the post office to pick up the mystery package from Dover. Does anyone else find this as ridculous and annoying as I do?

I haven't gotten mine yet -we're a couple of days behind - but that's just irritating. Plastic cover is one thing, but HARDCOVER??? They have waaaayyyy too much of our money to spend. Hopefully they're not all going to be in hardcover. I don't know about anyone else, but I think I get at least 4 regular catalogs a year. At both of my addresses. And I haven't ordered anything in quite a while...

What?!?!

That would explain the ridiculous shipping charges - they have to charge us a ton when we order from them so they can afford to put hardcovers on their catalogs. I wonder how many I'll get - I typically get three every time they mail them out. Another waste of money!!

Hmmm maybe if they lowered their shipping charges they might get some customers back - I do NOT order from their catalog anymore - not worth the money.

I think I'll continue to support my local tack shop which is so much better than Dover .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I can tell you ,that this little stunt makes me not want to order Anything from them whatsoever. I don't even want to make a trip to their store. I willl use their lovely catalog to browse for items I want,and then find somewhere else to purchase them.Muaaahhhhaahaaahaahaa

Quote Originally Posted by horsekpr View Post
    I can tell you ,that this little stunt makes me not want to order Anything from them whatsoever. I don't even want to make a trip to their store. I willl use their lovely catalog to browse for items I want,and then find somewhere else to purchase them.Muaaahhhhaahaaahaahaa
    Glad I'm not the only one who does that
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Hate the shipping charges, but love Dover.

Anytime I have ever had an issue with anything, they have been right on top of it.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I wonder what their marketing research reveals. For instance, does a majority of their sales come from a group of people that would be impressed by a hard-cover catalog? Regardless, I agree with the others. Save the money and pass the savings on to the consumer.

I have never been particularly impressed with their customer service. Also, I visited their Lexington, VA, store this summer and was disappointed by the low stock and the employees' inability to tell me what items might be in when (I have relatives in the area who could've picked some things up for me). It had a very warehouse (read: we don't have any idea what headquarters is gonna send us...we just work here) feel to it.

After some recent suggestions from other COTHers, I'm making the transition to Smartpak. I just ordered from them today.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Oh, forgot about the hardcover issue - I have not gotten mine yet, but I agree, what a stupid idea.

Unless they are thinking it may help people not to throw them away?

Who knows....
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Personally I love Dover. I trust them and have always had good experiences. I haven't gotten the new catalog yet, though.

I don't think Dover likes me. I don't order very often from them, and yet I only get a catalog annually. Which is fine, but why can't you send those on your mailing list the SALE catalog? Sheesh. Is that too much to ask? Then again, they probably think I won't order... fact of the matter is, I need to, but I prefer to look in the catalog first then go online. We'll see if I get the new sale catalog I called and requested...
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Well I end up with like 4 of the regular catalog every year, plus it seems like the sale ones come out practically every week... I end up with a LOT of Dover catalogs floating around. HARDCOVER? Super, there is no way that will fit in my tiny apartment mailbox

We have a Dover store near us (Hockessin DE). If you ORDER YOUR ITEM AT THE STORE, SHIPPING to your house is FREE. (In other words, if you order something from the catalog because it is not in the store.) We don't drive to DE just to visit Dover but if we are going to DE for some other reason, we will stop & Dover & check. If they don't have what we want, we order, no shipping charges, & it's delivered to our home in a short time.

I'm reminded of a time 30 years ago when there was hardly any catalog sales for horse equipment. You had your local tack store and the ones up by the larger cities and wow, you either planned ahead or made special trips.

I agree, the Dover handling and shipping charges are high when you are purchasing inexpensive, realativley light weight items however, I recently ordered items from two "cement and mortar" stores on the east coast. One of the items fit in a large business envelope and weighed no more than 2 ounces and the shipping & handling was $6.95 from VA to KS. The other was some tack which arrived in a nice, new box and had some weight. Still, the S/H was $20 from PA to KS.

As SmartPak has expanded what they offer I have been ordering items from them that I would normally have purchased from Dover because in addition to the item price being similiar, the SmartPak shipping beats Dover hands down. Plus it arrives in a timely fashion via UPS. Seems like Dover is using an off brand shipping- DHL or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Evalee Hunter View Post
    We have a Dover store near us (Hockessin DE). If you ORDER YOUR ITEM AT THE STORE, SHIPPING to your house is FREE. (In other words, if you order something from the catalog because it is not in the store.) We don't drive to DE just to visit Dover but if we are going to DE for some other reason, we will stop & Dover & check. If they don't have what we want, we order, no shipping charges, & it's delivered to our home in a short time.
    They gave me the hardest time over that in November..... The manager mutterd something about how that policy had changed... So don't expect it these days. The things I needed were in the store – just not the color I wanted. I wouldn’t expect free shipping on something in the catalog that has an *extra shipping charges apply note. I think if the Item is generally in the store and they ran out of stock shipping should be free.
    Last edited by Creaghgal; Mar. 1, 2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: .
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    Oh, forgot about the hardcover issue - I have not gotten mine yet, but I agree, what a stupid idea.

Unless they are thinking it may help people not to throw them away?

Who knows....
    I do keep them, but my goodness, they just keep sending them, and they don't even do me the favor of dating or numbering them so I can be sure to keep the most recent one. Or they send the exact same catalog just with a new cover. I just want one master catalog with everything in it, and then the sales flyers when those are ready.

Or I would just use their website, but it's really, really clumsy, almost impossible to use.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I got mine today...but it's in softcover. I think the hardcover thing is stupid, but if they're going to do it, at least send one to everyone!! Now I'm bummed that I didn't get a collectible Dover catalog to put on display

I found a few things interesting, though. First off was the Spanish Riding School Kollektion. That stuff is definitely cool, but I don't know who would really use it, since it's more unique sort of tack...I dunno, I just can't see anyone using that stuff for everyday use. The halter is nice, but it's also over $300...and the dressage pad is $140. Nevertheless, that stuff is neat, and I bet the gloves are amazing!

Pg. 275 is the Hunter Derby Bridle. Pretty bridle, although to me the raised part on the noseband looks kind of weird...just how it's configured I guess. Neat idea though.

Pg. 286 is the "Micklem Multibridle." Hmm. Interesting contraption, that's for sure. It looks like a great tool for starting young horses, and its versatility probably makes it useful.

What does everyone think of the new GPA? I think it looks much better than the SpeedAirs..although they are growing on me.

And I'm still amazed at the $1,000 Hermes bridle. Honestly, whyyyy would you spend that much when you can get a perfectly awesome show bridle for half that? (or less!)
    Last edited by *jumper*; Mar. 1, 2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: I was having apostophe problems =]

What ???? Not everyone gets the hard cover????? Why ,that is some form of discrimination ! Jumper,If you like,i could send you mine.Perhaps you should complain to the company ,and ask why you were discriminated against.

I get a catalog from a company called Peachtree that sells property management/apartment manager type stuff. Usually they sent me a very thick catalog several times a year which always ends up in the trash. Last year they sent the hard bound version! I was shocked. I have bought something from them once over the past several years. I felt guilty but I threw it away. I also thought that it was a terrible waste of money!

Maybe Dover is only sending them to people that have ordered a lot of stuff from them. I still think it is a total waste of money not only in the printing of such a thing, but the extra postage it must cost to send it. Unless that is the reason they hard bind it? Maybe if it is hardbound,they get to sent it media rate?

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Well I end up with like 4 of the regular catalog every year, plus it seems like the sale ones come out practically every week... I end up with a LOT of Dover catalogs floating around.
    I have NINE from this year alone. And I haven't ordered that much (honestly!), they sent two orders worth of stuff in four packages and each one had a catalog. Then there were two exchanges, and each of those items came back with a catalog. (BTW, I'm only counting the fat, regular catalogs, not the sale ones.) Then, three in the mail...

Yeah, I thought the hardcover thing was a little excessive, too. They should cut back a little, those big catalogs can't be cheap to print, let alone in hardcover.