The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cost of custom Dehner's?

I'm considering getting a pair of custom boots made and am leaning toward Dehner's. Can anyone give me a ballpark on cost for them these days? It's been a long time since I've had a pair of new custom boots. Do most of you favor Dehner's, or are there other brands you like as much? I am hard to fit so semi-customs aren't a great option.

If you have Dehner dressage boots or other customs, please share the features that you got that you love or on the other hand wouldn't get again.

I LOVE mine. I just got them, and for regular spanish tops (2") and zippers, the total came to $1000
    The zippers were $100 of that, and they fit fabulously with or without them (there was a mixup with my order on my tack shop's end and I initially got them without zippers)

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Best way to find out is to check the prices on their site: http://www.dehner.com/customboots_riding.html
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I remember in the early to mid 80's when I bought my first pair of custom dehners.....the cost...$295.00!!!!!

I got mine 10 years ago for $600. Best money I ever spent. they were plain french calf dress boots, fully lined, no zippers, with spur rests, leather soles. Regular tops.

The last post made me think too, is it better to get regular dress boots (what my old customs were) or real "dressage" boots with stiffer lining, etc? I want to look correct, but also want to be able to move my legs and avoid bloodshed!

Actually, if you get them fully lined and don't do the water fill thing they stay pretty stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by eqsiu View Post
    Actually, if you get them fully lined and don't do the water fill thing they stay pretty stiff.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is the water fill thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is the water fill thing?
    Well, those of us who like to break in boots have often been taught to fill the boots with water and then wear them (obviously some of the water spills out) to break them in. I've also heard of people putting them on and then sitting in the bathtub or shower to soak them. It's supposed to help the leather conform to your leg.

I bought custom black dressage Der Dau's in 1996 for $665. I say black, as they make them in pink and lime green !

They are fully lined, spur rest, etc ... and a fabulous fit (I have one injured foot that is 2 sizes wider than the other one, and a freakishly high arch). I sent them back just this year to get a zipper installed.

When they were returned to me, I was delighted to realize that Der Dau had also taken the inititiative to totally recondition them ... now they look almost brand new and are too pretty to wear (no charge for the latter) :-)

I guess these boots now would run around $1,200 ?

However, I can not say enough good things about Der Dau as a Co. I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

Magnum
    "If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else."

Quote Originally Posted by magnum View Post
    I bought custom black dressage Der Dau's in 1996 for $665. I say black, as they make them in pink and lime green !

They are fully lined, spur rest, etc ... and a fabulous fit (I have one injured foot that is 2 sizes wider than the other one, and a freakishly high arch). I sent them back just this year to get a zipper installed.

When they were returned to me, I was delighted to realize that Der Dau had also taken the inititiative to totally recondition them ... now they look almost brand new and are too pretty to wear (no charge for the latter) :-)

I guess these boots now would run around $1,200 ?

However, I can not say enough good things about Der Dau as a Co. I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

Magnum
    Nope, I tried to order those last fall (fully lines, zippers, nice dressage boots) and with everything I wanted (elastic gussets, extra-thich soles, and a little spanish top) it was going to be $1400.
    I got the same boots from Dehner for $1000, and I would never imagine sitting in a bathtub with them because they already fit like a glove.

I got picked on a lot at the tack store when I put them on. "Yeah, it's like their CUSTOM MADE FOR YOU or something!"

My Dehners are plenty stiff, believe me. NO need to get them with a stiffener. I was careful, though, because I wanted them to stay tall and stiff - it was a year before I could walk up/down stairs while wearing them!

I only use them for showing and special clinics - never wear them in the barn otherwise, so if you care for them, they will stay stiff for years.

Now, this makes them very difficult to get on and off, especially when they are new - the first 3 years, say.

My Dehners are over 30 years old. I spent $100.00 having them re-soled. They are so comfortable and have held up very well. They are dress boots, fully lined, no whalebone. Nowadays they are just my work boots, scratched from blackberries but over the years they have hunted in the rain every Saturday, swam in the Fraser River following hounds, done all my shows, lessons and events. You can't kill 'em.

My kids rode in Vogels - loved them too.

I've had Dehners for years; field boots at first, since I couldn't get dress boots to fit. Now I have a new pair with zippers that are comfy right now. I would say, if you're shorter than average, get a little less drop built in, since they are pretty stiff and shorter sizes don't drop enough. And do without the spur rests: they tend to break off anyway, or they're not at the height you prefer.
    I always get the extra tough leather--not as shiny, but wears like iron.

My dehners are 17 years old, bought for $700. I have sent them in to the company 3x over the years for repair, reconditioning and redying. They are just about done now, so was able to get a pair of Konigs in Europe for about $600 recently. Love the Konigs. Getting ready to send my dehner field boots in for an overhaul. No matter what they do it is always $100..but worth the investment.

Oahu, Hawaii until we return to the Appling, Ga farm.

I love mine...they have lasted for a decade now. Still going strong....I have them on now..............I have them resoled seldom, but other than that, they are wonderful boots and worth every penny. My favorite feature? I have mine lined with gloveskin...they are soft and stay cool in the summer. And they last.
    "Lose your temper, lose your horse" -someone wise enough to know better than to pick a fight with a 1200 lb animal that could launch you to the moon.

3/4 lining helps with the ability to feel the horse, but they still are stiff enough.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Oahu, Hawaii until we return to the Appling, Ga farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    My Dehners are over 30 years old. I spent $100.00 having them re-soled. They are so comfortable and have held up very well. They are dress boots, fully lined, no whalebone. Nowadays they are just my work boots, scratched from blackberries but over the years they have hunted in the rain every Saturday, swam in the Fraser River following hounds, done all my shows, lessons and events. You can't kill 'em.

My kids rode in Vogels - loved them too.
    I second what you said. They are fantastic and just won't die. I have walked through, well, you name it. They are even water proof...at least mine are. I sometimes just stand in a bucket of water to wash them off, and spray leather conditioner on them...and put them away. I am telling you, I have never had a better boot.
    "Lose your temper, lose your horse" -someone wise enough to know better than to pick a fight with a 1200 lb animal that could launch you to the moon.

Default I just ordered the Vogels

I had the Petries for years and hated them. I never got past the really painful break in period. I hope the Vogels live up to their reputation. I just wish Ferragamo would make riding boots.

Sergio Grasso makes comfey boots (and lovely half chaps).
    I.D.E.A. yoda