The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoroughbred stallions

What associations or registries (besides the obvious JC) do you want to see thoroughbred stallions registered or approved with? I have a young colt that may stay a stallion if he proves himself. Is it worth it to list him with IHF or similar registries? What about getting him approved for AWS or AWR? Any reccomendations would be great on where to present him in the future. He will not be bred to outside mares until he has a good showing career under his belt. He is registered with USEF and JC.
    Thanks!

out of curiosity, where do you plan to aim his career: hunter, dressage/eventing, jumper, western?

When we had out stallion we went JC/APHA/RPSI/AWR with him. His son that we have now is too young to be at stud. The colt is APHA and 73% TB by pedigree. Not being a full TB we will go APHA/AWR with him. I won't miss the live cover breeding aspect though!!

To stand any stallion and attract mares, it takes deep pockets -- to compete, advertise is very expensive but very necessary. Having a respected wb approval is important, but not necessarily essential if he is successful competing to everyone. However, it will help the mare book to some degree. Probably won't matter as much to the eventer or hunters, if he makes a name for himself in the ring and produces -- it's just so expensive to get a stallion noticed! Good luck -- how is he bred? I adore Thoroughbreds and wish there were more out there standing to the sport market.
    PennyG

My TB stallion Guaranteed Gold is AQHA and APHA listed, AQHA IF nominated, IHF nominated and CSHA approved as a Bronze Premium stallion (he earned his approval through eventing)

I am also debating getting him Sweepstakes nominated with the Arabian Association

We get enough AQHA and APHA mares to him that listings in those Associations I find are mandatory, the CSHA approval looks after the Sport Horse end of things and I am toying with the idea of taking him to an RPSI and/or AWR inspection this fall or next as we now have our own place and I can personally get him ready for it on my own, at my own place

I would like to do eventing with him, but he seems like he might also do well in hunters. I am not much of a hunter rider, so I may have to hire someone to do that for me in the future. He is so young yet, so we'll have to see where he improves when he has more time under saddle. His conformation and temperment are awesome, I couldn't ask for a more well behaved stallion. The qh and paint market here is big, so I may have to list him with those. I just didn't know if it was worth it for the IHF or not, and things like that.

I think honestly - short term - 100% list him with both the AQHA and APHA. Its $75.00 for each registry to do so, so not cost prohibitive by any means. Then weigh your options and see if nominating him to the IF with the AQHA makes sense. I found with my guy a lot of the Mare Owners specifically requested it and wouldnt breed to him unless he was.

IMO - the IHF is a longer term venture and dont expect immediate gratification on that one - intend to stick with it for the long haul or dont bother.

IMO again - a stallion needs to have successive SUCCESSFUL generations of get on the ground (think of a stallion like Alla Czar ... ) where they have proven themselves in the line classes, under saddle and over fences before the investment in the IHF will pay off and people will specifically breed to him to produce IHF youngsters

Good luck!

AQHA, APHA are definitely the easiest...just send in the paperwork and the money.

IHF and IJF require a yearly nomination fee that is equal to one stud fee. So, you better be getting a number of mares whose owners are looking for it to make it worth the money, IMO. At this point, I've only had one MO in five years that asked about IHF.

AWR/AWS doen't have performance requirements (though AWS has a star program that acknowledges performance, quality of offspring, etc.), though he would have to be inspected.

Any of the European based warmblood registries have performance requirements that must be met. IME, for TBs, those requirements have to be met prior to presenting them (Cyriz was approved by RPSI at 4 and attended the 100-day at 5 - not an easy path for a TB, especially an OTTB, but he did it). For many registries, because TBs are considered for "improvement" they have to met more stringent requirements than warmblood stallions. Some registries you have to petition the stallion or breeding committee and submit pictures of him and his offspring, videos, performance records, and basically make the case for them to even CONSIDER the horse, let alone approve the horse. It also is not cheap, approvals run anywhere from $400-$1000 (not including traveling to an inspection site, paying the trainer to ride the horse, etc.), plus there are annual renewal fees...again running about the same $400-$1000. SO, you better have really deep pockets or be getting a lot of breedings or just be a bit crazy (that's where I fit in! LOL).

Add into that the cost of either doing the 100-day which ran us about 15K and I know others at the same test who spent more like 20K (farther distance for shipping, higher travel costs, etc) OR going the performance route, which unless you're a top level rider, will in the long run cost even more money.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me. I don't mean to discourage you or anyone else thinking about it, but I do wish there had been some things that we had known first...though, because I am a bit crazy (especially about my boy) and I believe in his talent, we probably still would have done it. It has been quite a journey and it's just really starting to get interesting and exciting.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

As True Colors noted, with the AQHA and APHA nominating them to the sweepstakes programs like Breeders Trust is a must. Boomer was AQHA listed but not sweepstakes nominated and that definitely was a deal breaker for the AQHA mare owners. I did pony up for APHA Breeders Trust and that was also a must for most of the APHA show mare owners...so that will cost more than the plain old listing fee but less than the WB route!

Thanks- you have all been helpful- and not discouraging at all. I know it is tough and expensive. I think I would definately do the IF with AQHA and APHA, as that is so big around here anyways. If I can think of any more questions I will ask!

Just plan ahead with the IF stuff because the fee is due by the end of October of the year prior to the season at stud....so for the 2008 season the IF fee was due by the end of October in 2007. The fee is = to one advertised stud fee or a 500. minimum (whichever is more, of course!) and while you can enroll late the fee is doubled.
    Since I had WB foals too that hurt as fall is also inspection season....was hard here to cough up IF fees and inspection stuff all at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by cyriz's mom View Post
    AQHA, APHA are definitely the easiest...just send in the paperwork and the money.

IHF and IJF require a yearly nomination fee that is equal to one stud fee. So, you better be getting a number of mares whose owners are looking for it to make it worth the money, IMO. At this point, I've only had one MO in five years that asked about IHF.

AWR/AWS doen't have performance requirements (though AWS has a star program that acknowledges performance, quality of offspring, etc.), though he would have to be inspected.

Any of the European based warmblood registries have performance requirements that must be met. IME, for TBs, those requirements have to be met prior to presenting them (Cyriz was approved by RPSI at 4 and attended the 100-day at 5 - not an easy path for a TB, especially an OTTB, but he did it). For many registries, because TBs are considered for "improvement" they have to met more stringent requirements than warmblood stallions. Some registries you have to petition the stallion or breeding committee and submit pictures of him and his offspring, videos, performance records, and basically make the case for them to even CONSIDER the horse, let alone approve the horse. It also is not cheap, approvals run anywhere from $400-$1000 (not including traveling to an inspection site, paying the trainer to ride the horse, etc.), plus there are annual renewal fees...again running about the same $400-$1000. SO, you better have really deep pockets or be getting a lot of breedings or just be a bit crazy (that's where I fit in! LOL).

Add into that the cost of either doing the 100-day which ran us about 15K and I know others at the same test who spent more like 20K (farther distance for shipping, higher travel costs, etc) OR going the performance route, which unless you're a top level rider, will in the long run cost even more money.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me. I don't mean to discourage you or anyone else thinking about it, but I do wish there had been some things that we had known first...though, because I am a bit crazy (especially about my boy) and I believe in his talent, we probably still would have done it. It has been quite a journey and it's just really starting to get interesting and exciting.
    Cyriz's mom said it very well, and I agree with her and with what TKR has said too.
    A Fine Romance is JC registered, and I bred him to race.
    I didn't realize it at the time, but he also had a very strong TB sport horse pedigree, which has helped.
    He is a Gold Premium (the highest level) Canadian Sport Horse, inspected as a 3 yr old and then earning his Premium status based on performance in sport. He is one of only a few TB stallions to be ISR/Old NA approved and licenced. He competed initially in eventing,and went on to show in the Working Hunters. He also showed successfully on the line in both the TB and Sport Horse stallion classes.
    He is also APHA, AQHA, AAHC listed, IHF nominated etc.

As TKR said too, most breeders want to see the horse proven in sport. Movement, jumping ability, athleticism, great temperament and rideability and excellent conformation are crucial.

It does take dedication, pretty deep pockets and a lot of determination.
    For many years I felt that I was swimming upstream against the current. But like CM, I believed very strongly in A Fine Romance, and in the importance of TBs as sport horses. He gave me the opportunity to put my beliefs into action. When I was starting out, I didn't have a template, I didn't have access to the internet,and so a lot of it was 'seat of my pants' and a learning experience. I know that I probably made mistakes.
    Now that his offspring are performing successfully, it makes the journey (as CM so eloquently called it) a bit easier and very very exciting. I would not have traded this journey with him for anything!

Good luck with your boy. If I can be of any help too, please do not hesitate to contact me.

We need more good TB sport horse stallions!!! TB's Rule!!

Selle Francais

Selle Francais is nearly impossible to get a TB stallion approved by. Basically, he would have to be a GP jumper, GP dressage or Advanced eventer.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Which is why I like to see the ones that make it into the Selle Francais

A Fine Romance is all that!
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    http://www.bydesignfarm.com
    Check us out on Facebook

I'll work on the Selle Francias thing Might take me a few years though. Out of curiosity-are there any tb stallions approved by Selle Francias?

Coconut Grove http://sellefrancais.org/coconut.htm

Ginseng http://sellefrancais.org/ginseng.htm

I'd thought I'd seen Brooke Front on the SF site before, but he's not there nowso I'm not sure if it is my faulty memory or not.....

And the unfortunately long-gone greats: Orange Peel, Lord Frey, and Ivanhoe and Ultimate and Furioso.