The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks for the offer, Pony Jumper, but really, the pad is what I wanted and is working out well, especially as my horse is changing shape, putting on weight, and muscle. Then she will have a foal and we will start all over again. She's my dual purpose horse.

Well yesterday i received my black large ultrathin contour pad in the mail. Yay! I couldn't ride yesterday as I had a party at my house, but today I was able to get out and try it out!

I'm impressed! I definately did the trick with the side to side issue. My saddle feels anchored nicely already, due to my fantastic saddler George, but this just made it go from 95% to 100% if that makes sense?

My horse's gaits seemed much bigger, of course I'm not 100% sure I can attribute it to the pad, because we've been dealing with frozen footing this winter (one of the many fun parts of living in WI in winter) and the temps were nearly 50F this weekend so the footing is finally not frozen. However, neither myself nor the horse is particularly fit due to the saddle fit issue, but we had a good long school and I'd say the horse was happy and forward, and I found it to be very comfortable.

I'm quite happy so far with my purchase, and would recommend it!

I didn't think that the pad was doing anything spectacular until I rode without it for two days, and the mare was not happy. I put her back in the pad, and she was very happy again, so I'm thinking it does her some good.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Default Pads or not?

When you use the Thinlines, do you put them right on the horse's back or on top of a saddle pad? I got one and was using it directly on the back, and encountered two issues - first it slid backwards during the ride and ended up so that it was behind the withers and second it "appears" to have rubbed some hair off the back (towards the back of the saddle). I'm only guessing at the hair rubbing, it's the only that changed and now there are two small rub spots.

I use mine on top of the saddle pad, not directly on the horses back. It has been great! I love it!

I am intrigued! Here's my situation, I'd love advice on which to get:

Horse is a 21 year old Thoroughbred. (Well, primary horse. Also a 14 y/o TB and a 7 y/o TB. The 14 y/o gets a bit witchy if she thinks I'm bouncing on her back.) He doesn't have any apparent back problems, but you could stick a tack under your saddle pad and ride and he wouldn't show it. Chiro adjusted him a few months ago and said there wasn't anything really wrong with him, just a normal degree of messed-up-ness. Oh, and he has a trot like a pogo stick, which will be the death of me.

I'm a newish rider (been riding just over 2 years now), currently showing Training level dressage (lol, like that's difficult), but my goal is to move up to First by the end of the year. I do like to jump, as well (schooling 2'6", showing less), even though my horse is an idiot about it. I'm planning to do at least one Beginner Novice horse trial this year, and in-barn hunter shows. I feel like the biggest block between me and First level is the sitting trot.. it's getting much better, but it's still kind of awful. I don't think it's unreasonable to plan on moving past First in a year or two, as well... I don't want to buy a pad now and have to get a different one in two years..

What do you think? I've heard the Ultra Thinline helps riders bounce less, but the regular provides more cushioning to the horse. I'd rather my horse be comfortable than me, but then again, if I'm not bouncing on them (doesn't help that I'm a larger rider), their backs will be happier. Help?

Regarding sizing... most of the time, I ride in a 17.5" close contact. I occasionally ride in an 18" dressage saddle (mostly for dressage lessons and shows). Which size should I get?

Thanks in advance for any help! Before reading this thread and the one linked to, no way was I paying $100 for a saddle pad.. now I'm waiting to find out which one to buy so I can whip out my debit card, lol.

I can only speak for myself, but the regular contour pad that I have definitely makes sitting the trot MUCH easier. I am also lucky enough to have a horse with a trot like a pogo stick, blech.

Regarding the size, from the thinline website: "The contour pad fits most close contact and dressage saddles up to 18 inch." It looks like other pads, like the half pads only fit smaller saddles.

This might help also, http://www.thinlineinc.com/learn_more/matrix
    Last edited by crazy_horse1095; Mar. 5, 2008 at 12:19 PM. Reason: adding link
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. ~Winston Churchill

Crazyhorse, thanks for the input! I think the regular size would be fine... even if it's a little too small for the dressage saddle, it'd only be occasionally... (And one of these days I'll buy my own, which will be a 17.5", so that problem will be solved!) I just don't know whether to get the regular or Ultra.

I use the fleece contour pads with every horse - they tuck up nicely into the saddle gullet and take any pressure off the spine/withers. The black ones seem to be a little more compact than the white ones. My horses absolutely love them, and so does my back.

FYI the girths are also great for horses that are girthy - mine have completely forgotten that they dislike the girth now!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulta View Post
    When you use the Thinlines, do you put them right on the horse's back or on top of a saddle pad? I got one and was using it directly on the back, and encountered two issues - first it slid backwards during the ride and ended up so that it was behind the withers and second it "appears" to have rubbed some hair off the back (towards the back of the saddle). I'm only guessing at the hair rubbing, it's the only that changed and now there are two small rub spots.
    I put the reg. saddle pad on the horse, then the Thinline, then the saddle. works awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonLee View Post
    FYI the girths are also great for horses that are girthy - mine have completely forgotten that they dislike the girth now!
    This is great info, thanks! I wondered about the girths!

Default Thinline and Back problems

I got the Thinline for my back problems (read about them in a book). I really see no difference. Oh well, live and learn.

I had same saddle side to side problem and resolved with THinline.
    I'm cheap so used coupon and purchased regular countoured thinline. I purchased black since my dressage saddle is black. I didn't want any "trim" around outside of pad since I wanted pad to blend in with saddle.

Pad works VERY well for this problem.
    Sandy in Fla.

Has anyone had problems with cutback pads causing sorness? I trim a horse who has a shark fin and the owners bought him a cut back pad - halfmoon cutout. Well, all this did was move the pressure to the base of the withers - onto the spine. He is SO SORE right where the edge of that pad presses down onto the spine. I suggested that instead of going with cutback that they buy a longer pad and pull it high up into the gullet (western saddle) above the withers so the leading edge of the pad is actually at the base of the neck. I don't know yet what the outcome of this has been.

Also - any way to get a coupon? I want to order an endurance pad, and about a month ago I did sign up through the email thingie but I never received any communiation from Thinline. Maybe the spam folder ate it??