The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default She's baaaack (Sellers/breeders beware)

Back in 2006 (I think) I started a thread about a lady who had signed a contract to buy $50k (or so) in ponies from me, then turned out to be a complete flake. She had also agreed to buy colored Warmbloods from Gwen in Germany, and a whole host of other animals across the US and Europe for her "fantasty breeding program". She said she was buying a VERY fancy facility in .... New Hampshire? Can't remember. Maybe it was Vermont. It was a 9 MILLION dollar farm -- and in the end, when we contacted Sotheby's, who was the agent for it, the seller had been scammed by her as well. In fact, they had even moved out of the farm -- but then she never came up with any money.

I looked in vain to find the old thread -- there was quite a bit on it -- but had no luck. I know it was here on the Sporthorse Breeding forum -- and I think it was in the late summer of '06 -- but it doesn't turn up under any search I can come up with.

Anyway, she contacted me again recently -- using the same AOL address she had been using the first time, asking about ponies I have for sale. She never acknowledged that we had had any prior contact (though maybe she's played this game for so long that she doesn't remember who she has contacted before!). Said she "for sure" wanted one filly (in her FIRST e-mail, lol) and wanted videos of the others. I told her sorry, no videos, and not making any.

Then, this evening I was chatting with a friend/client who has a filly by my stallion, and this woman had contacted her and told her that she has just purchased 5 or 6 German Riding Pony stallions and wanted to buy her filly also! SO.... it appears that she is back to the "game" of shopping -- and perhaps speaking for -- animals and not paying for them.

When I was dealing with her the first time, she was in New Hampshire -- but she may have told my friend she was in Ohio.

At any rate, sellers need to be aware -- and of course nobody should ship anything without payment in full! Nor should you hold anything without a non-refundable deposit! (I got stuck holding a slew of ponies for over a month during my prime selling season, waiting for payment that was going to be sent "tomorrow"! NEVER AGAIN!)

Be careful out there!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

I also want to add this scam is not totally unheard of. I shipped a champion colt, all the way across the country, with a large down payment, and payment plans in place. Long story short, I had to pay to have that colt repossessed and shipped ALL the back across the USA. I was only lucky I was able to find said horse!
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

Hmmm ... I think this is the week that Gwen goes for surgery so not sure if she will be reachable by email but I'll see if I can get hold of her

I remember the story well. Gwen was furious as well ...

I believe this is the same woman who recently contact me also about wanting to buy mares. We exchanged emails only...thanks for the heads up.
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

We had emails from her before...strange lady, I hope she gets help and stops this crap. She must be very delusional (sp?).

Hmm.

I think she has contacted me as well about a clients GRP mare and after a few emails she wanted to buy the yearling fillies too.
    I told her to call me if she wanted to go further and she dropped of the face of the earth.

If it's the same person her email has NH in it and her first initial is one of the first 5 letters of the alphabet ?

Sally

I believe she has contacted me also. But never went further than wanting to buy some babies and then never contacted me again. That was over a year ago. I cant remember her email address. Does anyone have it? It will save us all time and effort to not bother even answering her.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Yes -- that would be her.....
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com

Do you think she has that farm or she is just crazy lady?

Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    About a month in, when things were NOT adding up -- my father offered to call the real estate agent at Sotheby's who was the contact person from the farm listing. He was quite enlightening. He assured us that there was no money, it was all a complete scam, and that they had all fallen for it too at the beginning.

The address I was originally given where she was living was a very uh.... low class..... trailer park. I have a friend who works in a nearby town and she went and drove by it for me - which confirmed my suspicions from looking at the address via the Google satellite image.

Thus far, I have yet to hear of anyone who recieved a DIME for any animal that was spoken for.

Quote Originally Posted by TK View Post
    The woman I dealt with did have a small farm. But all else was a fraud. The checks, the credit cards, the insurance policy she was supposed to have on the horse, etc. I was very lucky to get the colt back and in fact, will never ship another horse withour full payment BEFORE shipping.
    Chris Misita
    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
    Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    The address I was originally given where she was living was a very uh.... low class..... trailer park.
    That is what I was thinking about...

She contacted me at the time but she didnt come across as the type of buyer I would like for my foals - not asking the right questions. Then the thread came up on here and confirmed she was a nutcase.
    Think her email had something to do with dogs or dog kennels or something in it???
    www.volatis.co.uk - breeders of quality and colour

Quote Originally Posted by Sacha View Post
    Think her email had something to do with dogs or dog kennels or something in it???
    Yes -- that's it. Glad you didn't get too much time wasted!

You know, I really don't mind people who are window shopping, or just curious, or just want to chat about our stock. But this is so far beyond that.... and I'm just astounded that all this time later, she's still doing the same thing!

Angry It's not me, and living in trailer parks.

It's not me. I take offense at the remark "low class trailer park." I lived in a trailer for 20 years. Inside, it was nicer than a lot of the nearby apartments, and, when I sold it, I almost got the same amount as I paid for it brand new. I guess the popular opinion is just because one lives in a trailer you are low class.

Because I lived in a trailer (e.g. inexpensive), I was able to buy a rather nice mare from Germany, put her in training there, and eventually import her. Also supported many years of owning other horses, training, lessons, and showing. Yes, I have had to board my horses.

I went to Germany quite a few years ago for the Hanoverian breed orientation course. One of the "ladies" had a little too much to drink and started making remarks about "double-wides." The same "lady" now has a grand prix stallion at stud which I would never, ever breed to, nor will I buy from her ever.

P.S. For what it is worth, I now have houses both in New Hampshire and Florida, and I am prime to be your next customer.

I remember that story very well. I was among the many who were flabbergasted!
    Would someone pm me her email address, please, so I can give the breeder I work for a heads-up? I know she's had a LOT of interest lately in a few of the ponies.
    I can't believe she's back, in full force, and without changing a darned thing!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    It's not me. I take offense at the remark "low class trailer park." I lived in a trailer for 20 years. Inside, it was nicer than a lot of the nearby apartments, and, when I sold it, I almost got the same amount as I paid for it brand new. I guess the popular opinion is just because one lives in a trailer you are low class.
    Oh goodness, I didn't mean it that way at all! You should see where I live.

What I meant, was that for the area she was living in, she was most likely not about to write a 9 million dollar check for a farm, nor pay for the $250k+++ in horses and ponies she had spoken for all over the world. The odds were just not in favor of that happening!

I'm certainly not saying that every one who lives in a trailer/mobile home/manufactured home is "trash" -- but I AM saying that in this woman's case, it simply added to the "unlikeliness" of the whole thing!!

I appreciate your clarifying. I hear it all the time--from TV, papers, to my boss--that people who live in "trailers" are second class. Even though that situation with the Hanoverian stallion owner happened 8 years ago, I won't forget it and she has lost me forever as a potential customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    I appreciate your clarifying. I hear it all the time--from TV, papers, to my boss--that people who live in "trailers" are second class. Even though that situation with the Hanoverian stallion owner happened 8 years ago, I won't forget it and she has lost me forever as a potential customer.
    welllll there are "trailers" and there are "trailers"....just like there are "stallions" and there are "STALLIONS"

A friend went to FL one year and noted every breeder (save one) she went to see lived in some sort of "non permanent,driven in on wheels "home....and some had stood for 30 years and looked lovely.......then you get where the average income is $17,000/yr/4 people and the "trailers" look a little different...one of our neighbors is an old poor man who lives in a 1960's school bus parked halfway up a mountainside... complete with wood stove...but it suits him fine...it will all depend on your base reference....

as for the woman who wrote to Gretchen and the others.....wellllll there are some real fantasy deprived people in this world....maybe their lives suck bad enough that playing at horses is all the got....yep big time wasters....(like the folks that want to talk for months about buying semi loads of hay at a discount and never manage it...and each year they do the same thing...sigh)

Tamara in TN
    Last edited by Tamara in TN; Feb. 28, 2008 at 09:01 AM.

I do believe she just !@#$$ a well known person in germany at the pony sale.
    She also contacted 3 other people that i know of.!!!!!!