The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Going Rates for Mare/Foal board?

I am curious...what does it cost in your area to board a broodmare and then after foaling a mare and foal? Assuming stall board on this question but I'd not mind hearing pasture board rates also. Please also tell me where you are...ie northeast will be more expensive than the midwest, etc...

Also, is the board for mares/foals more than for regular boarders?

I got into a discussion on this today with someone and I want a thread I can print off to show them what board is going to cost for this sort of thing in various areas.

Thanks!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

$10/day dry marecare, $15/day wet.

I suspect that will have gone up when I go back this year, due to everything having gone up. I would expect about a $2-3 increase, though I haven't asked.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

My regular board is $375./mo. including regular grain. They supply the ration balancer, or mineral & alfalfa cubes, etc. I don't charge anymore until the foal is born. Then it is an extra $100 a month. I also charge a foal watch fee $250 for watching and foaling supplies.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the feed back!

I believe some of the foaling farms/repro centers near me charge $25 to 30 per day (dry) but that is more for a short term customer (just for foaling). I am not into short term, but servicing my long term boarders.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    My regular board is $375./mo. including regular grain. They supply the ration balancer, or mineral & alfalfa cubes, etc. I don't charge anymore until the foal is born. Then it is an extra $100 a month. I also charge a foal watch fee $250 for watching and foaling supplies.
    OMG $250 would have been so worth it to avoid the hell I just went through these past few weeks! Unfortunately, a VA bred is even worse than a MD bred as far as race horses go.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Unfortunately, a VA bred is even worse than a MD bred as far as race horses go.
    That is a shame, as VA has a tradition of breeding wonderful race horses.

Unfortunately, a VA bred is even worse than a MD bred as far as race horses go.

Unless you're Ned Evans, who has cornered the VA Breeders Fund payout.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Well obviously I am not Ned Evans. There isn't even racing in the state the majority of the year as it is and there is talk of selling Colonial so there may be no racing at all in the near future. I can't stand Colonial, its in a terrible location with awful traffic, nowhere to eat or stay nearby and hotter than hell. Why they cut down all those lovely trees to build the backside is beyond me. Please, I am not knocking VA at all, its a lovely state but if MD racing is on its last leg, VA racing has three feet in the grave.

No argument from me.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Blue Ridge charges 600 for mare and foal.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Equestrian Art and Portraits
    Landscape Design
    Farm Layout and Design

I had recently checked for pricing this year where I send my mares to foal out and it is $30 a day for the mare and probably an additional $5 when the foal arrive. Been going up in price every year!! My vet is in residence so that is worth every bit!
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

We charge $10.00/day dry, $15.00/day wet. Our mare motel is 12 x 12 foot run in sheds with 12 x 20 foot runs off of each. We provide free choice hay (grass), free choice minerals and grain/supplement according to need.

We don't board long term. Just for breeding. Stallions are, of course more and are provided with a 1/3 acre paddock with run in shed. We don't do stall board for stallions, unless they are injured and can't be turned out. We find that they're just happier, saner and healthier if they can live turned out.

Hope that helps!

Kathy St.Martin
    Equine Reproduction Short Courses
    http://www.equine-reproduction.com

$450/month for full board that increases about 30 days prior(at my disgression) to foaling to $500/month. $250 extra for foaling. I supply free choice hay, grain and grass balancer. And worming.

The place here in Georgia where I used to send my mare charged $300/month for the mare, $400 to foal out, and then an additional $100/month for the foal until weaning. That included feed, hay, stall, shavings, turn in / out, arranging and meeting the vet/farrier, etc. That was several years ago, though, so I am sure their fees have gone up.

We don't do "regular" boarding or long-term boarding. But we do have mares in for foaling, breeding, etc. $13/day for dry mare, $16/day for mare/foal. $16/day for stallions that are in for breeding, too. Mare stalls are 12x12 or 12x14, mares w/foals are in 12x18. Daily individual turn-out for mares, foals and stallions. The above includes free-choice hay, either orchard grass, fescue free (tested) brome or fescue free alfalfa. Also includes daily grain. There is an additional foaling charge for foaling a mare out.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Thanks everyone. Sounds like my rates are pretty mainstream or leaning towards low end average. I had someone tell me that they thought that board should be the same after the mare foaled as before also...yeh right! After reading the replies, I feel vindicated! :-)

We charge $18/dry and $20/wet and a $250 foaling fee....believe me I earn that $250 since I practically live in the barn during foaling season. I thought about increasing the day rate due to the increase in bedding costs..everyone else is concerned with hay/grain but jeepers new momma's are real pigs with their stalls! or else I am just a neat freak but I want babies in deep deep straw until they are a few weeks old and it must be spotless.

I called one place here in MD when I was having my panic attack about foaling her out myself a couple of months ago. Country Life quoted me $28 per day and $500 foaling fee.

Wow! That is pricey! I charge $300 to foal one out, $375 for full board prior to foaling and $425 after foaling.

Does any charge to work with the foals on leading and general handling or do you just include that in the board?