The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Question How much would you pay to import a foal??

So I have been looking at buying a couple of foals from Holland - out of excellent mother lines. One is by a very proven dutch stallion the other by a newly licensed (champion of his licensing) stallion..

With import costs what would you think is "fair" price? The prices I am getting seem fairly high.. but maybe its just the weak US Dollar?

So what I mean is the cost of the foal plus import fees...
    Last edited by EquineLVR; Feb. 22, 2008 at 03:30 PM.

uhohbaker04 Guest

Exclamation

I would spend 200,000 $ on them

It's hard with the weak dollar right now. There are no more "deals" to be had on importing with the exchange rate being what it is.

I can't give you exact prices, since mine are pony babies, but you might shop around and see what you can find. Sometimes you can find a shared pallet and get a better price than you would otherwise.

Also, explore different options for where you are bringing them in to. I have two coming into Calgary, and it is going to save me something like $3000 over what I would have paid to have them come in to Los Angeles.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

TOUGH from Europe at the moment! I am selling a Fidertanz filly (not mine!) and she is priced very much below "average" of what they go for at 5K Euros, but with import, it is still 13,500$. And you can buy foals here for the same.

Import for a foal is right now around 5500$ to NY.

BUT, if you are buying to resell, you are better off keeping until going under saddle.

Sincerely
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

Weanlings, 5000.00 to 10,000.00 Euros, plus import. And by the way stallions can not birth foals so it is BY so and so stallion and OUT OF so and so mare. Pet Peeve.
    Dr. Baird's law:
    In a voluntary organization, the amount of criticism one receives is directly proportional to the amount of work done and it emanates from those who do the very least.

so is $18500 on the high side still for a weanling with import?

To me, it would depend on movement, conformation, and temperament (quality). There are top bloodlines I wouldn't take for free, and others I would pay huge for. You can't tell the quality of a youngster just by the pedigree.

$18,500. may be a huge rip-off, or it may be a great price. I am assuming you are looking for breeding potential? If you are looking for riding potential, I would look here and purchase for less. If rare bloodlines for breeding potential, it may be worth the price, depending...

talk to Kathy from Majestic gaits. She imports foals from the VDL. I just bought one with Indoctro, Burggraaf, Voltaire, Nimmerdor lines for less than you're quoting. I searched online and found out she was first premium in Holland and is recorded in a book. I'm still learning about what all the kuering stuff means. Anyway, I think she is lovely, and she (my filly)agrees with me Good luck!

Heavens I hope you are flying over here to look at them prior to buying. I must say your post is about as precise as to ask 'how much is a car that's about a year old and has no mileage'.
    Firstly the sire alone is not going to take you anywhere. There are good ones and poor ones from *any* sire. Also even good damlines throw a foul egg every once in a while so unless you are used to watching and evaluating weanlings you are setting yourself up for trouble. Potentially serious trouble given the current USD rates.
    I very much agree with Fairview Horse Center who said $18500 might be the bargain or the ripoff of the century. Have you seen the foals personally? Have you dealt with these breeders before and what was the outcome? What credentials do the dams come with? It is easy here in Europe to breed to the flavor of the month stallions. Unfortunately it isn't any easier here than it is in the US to breed top quality foals, so the $$ to get yourself over here to look in person or hire proffessional assistance might save you a lot of $$ at the end

GOOD LUCK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    so is $18500 on the high side still for a weanling with import?
    Top price for a foal in Germany should not be over $10,000 Euros. This is high and from the best breeders. Add import fees to that.

As a side note, NA breeders have imported enough well bred mares, from the best mare families, over the last several years to meet the supply for good foals here. We have access to the best stallions, either fresh or frozen. There is no reason to go to Europe to find and import a foal.

Our breed registries are full of what you're looking for. It will take some time to sort through them all, but it will take more time to sort through them in Europe. Unless you have a very good relationship with a great European breeder, you aren't going to get top foals to export to the US.

At the very least, it's worth it to take some time to see what's available in NA. The best bloodlines and the best bargains in the world are right here. :-) Didn't mean to get on my soapbox to answer your simple question, but it seemed an opportune time to say something about what is going on in North America in regard to breeding sport horses.
    http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
    CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
    Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

Quote Originally Posted by ShowjumpersUSA View Post
    Top price for a foal in Germany should not be over $10,000 Euros. This is high and from the best breeders. Add import fees to that.

As a side note, NA breeders have imported enough well bred mares, from the best mare families, over the last several years to meet the supply for good foals here. We have access to the best stallions, either fresh or frozen. There is no reason to go to Europe to find and import a foal.

Our breed registries are full of what you're looking for. It will take some time to sort through them all, but it will take more time to sort through them in Europe. Unless you have a very good relationship with a great European breeder, you aren't going to get top foals to export to the US.

At the very least, it's worth it to take some time to see what's available in NA. The best bloodlines and the best bargains in the world are right here. :-) Didn't mean to get on my soapbox to answer your simple question, but it seemed an opportune time to say something about what is going on in North America in regard to breeding sport horses.
    I agree - I thought is was high too.. I have been looking to some degree here- not as extensively - but this particular mare line is amazing - best I have ever seen - probably sired 25 stallions - some of which are: Chequille Z, Carino, Verdi, Calato, Vingino, Edminton, Quality Boy, Salerno, Montreal, Cicera's Icewater etc.. the list goes on.

It also chalk full of Keur, Pref, Prestatie, Ster etc.. probably at least 50 mares.

So that is why I was looking closely at this foal.. the mare line is spectacular.. not sure we would find something like that yet in the USA - but I could be wrong - just have not found it yet.

We have had the advantage of VDL shopping around for us to send some super fillies here. This year the top price is $13,000 US and they are all top motherlines and top breedings. Don't forget to add 38-40% for the euro conversion to US $. It has just got so expensive over there. Even the airfare has gone up by $1000 due to the euro as the people want their money paid in euros. It is just nuts.

I still say we have to get the countries together here and come up with the Americano money. ;-) Lets give the Euro some competition.

Kathy
    www.majesticgaits.com
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

I agree - I thought is was high too.. I have been looking to some degree here- not as extensively - but this particular mare line is amazing - best I have ever seen - probably sired 25 stallions - some of which are: Chequille Z, Carino, Verdi, Calato, Vingino, Edminton, Quality Boy, Salerno, Montreal, Cicera's Icewater etc.. the list goes on.

It also chalk full of Keur, Pref, Prestatie, Ster etc.. probably at least 50 mares.

So that is why I was looking closely at this foal.. the mare line is spectacular.. not sure we would find something like that yet in the USA - but I could be wrong - just have not found it yet.
    I have two mares from 474a. One of them is from Novia, the highest bonited Contender mare in the world. I have a filly from her and am hoping for a Canturo foal from her next year via ET.

I know other US Holsteiner breeders who have this mare line. So, if it's the mare line you want, you can get it here. :-)

That said, if you plan to breed her, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to bring another 474a filly into the US. It's great for our breeding program. I stand by the prices I mentioned, though.
    http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
    CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
    Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

You can pay with your $$$$$ at my yard...No need for Euro's

You can buy a good foal with an interesting pedigree allready for 2500 euro's in Holland. Now the strange part comes, I have had several American buyers and as soon as they think it is to cheap they jus don't buy! Can someone explain this to me?

Quote Originally Posted by ShowjumpersUSA View Post
    I have two mares from 474a. One of them is from Novia, the highest bonited Contender mare in the world. I have a filly from her and am hoping for a Canturo foal from her next year via ET.

I know other US Holsteiner breeders who have this mare line. So, if it's the mare line you want, you can get it here. :-)

That said, if you plan to breed her, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to bring another 474a filly into the US. It's great for our breeding program. I stand by the prices I mentioned, though.
    If the price becomes a little more reasonable I will consider it - but right now too high.. even for this mare line.

Wait a sec.. I am confused. When you say "$18,500 with import", do you mean 18,500 dollars including import? If so, I don't think that is that high for a nice foal (or at least, the seller's price is not outrageous; whether it is worth it to pay to import is a different story.

Anyway, if it were me, I would compare it to foals I could get here. If it is what I am looking for and better than what I could get for a comparable price here, it might be worth it to me to import. If not, I would not.

I have 4 horses, two are imported, two were bred in the US, and all 4 of them meet my criteria in terms of bloodlines, temperament, movement, athletic ability, etc. My most recent US-bred purchase has bloodlines that are fairly hard to get, and I looked but could not find one in Germany of this quality from these lines.
    Last edited by YankeeLawyer; Feb. 22, 2008 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
    Wait a sec.. I am confused. When you say "$18,500 with import", do you mean 18,500 dollars including import? If so, I don't think that is that high for a nice foal (or at least, the seller's price is not outrageous; whether it is worth it to pay to import is a different story.

Anyway, if it were me, I would compare it to foals I could get here. If it is what I am looking for and better than what I could get for a comparable price here, it might be worth it to me to import. If not, I would not.

I have 4 horses, two are imported, two were bred in the US, and all 4 of them meet my criteria in terms of bloodlines, temperament, movement, athletic ability, etc. My most recent US-bred purchase has bloodlines that are fairly hard to get, and I looked but could not find one in Germany of this quality.
    Yes 18,500 including import - US dollars. But the stallion is Wittinger - however nice and the stallion licensing champion - he is umproven as a sire. Its the mare line I find compelling - just not sure about the price.

Quote Originally Posted by janderegelaar View Post
    You can pay with your $$$$$ at my yard...No need for Euro's

You can buy a good foal with an interesting pedigree allready for 2500 euro's in Holland. Now the strange part comes, I have had several American buyers and as soon as they think it is to cheap they jus don't buy! Can someone explain this to me?
    Some people think price necessarily reflects quality (i.e. low price = low quality; high price = high quality), and do not know enough or are not confident enough in their abilities to simply assess what they see in front of them on its own merits.

BTW, this phenomenon is not unique to horses. It can also be true for houses and any number of other things you might try to sell.

You know it's funny. You offend N.A. breeders by telling them what they have is too pricey yet you don't mind paying the same $$ for a foal from here in Europe which you haven't even seen?!
    To be quite honest 10K US doesn't take you very far in the horse world here in Europe right now. Not that the top selling prices at foal auctions are considered the ballpark to consider but the crème de la crème has always sold for way more than 10K Euro here and will probably always do.
    Sought after foals sell for 10K and up here. That's not to say you can't get a way above average and very well bred foal for less than 3K but you have to get lucky. Running into a lucky situation is ever so possible here (e.g. divorce sale, breeder needing to make room for new crop, retiring whatever) but better be prepared to pay good $$ for good quality. Most of the time the truly desired foals will be serious €€ exchange rate or not. And before you decide the US-bred ones are too pricey I would suggest you have a look at them physically

Quote Originally Posted by Kareen View Post
    You know it's funny. You offend N.A. breeders by telling them what they have is too pricey yet you don't mind paying the same $$ for a foal from here in Europe which you haven't even seen?!
    To be quite honest 10K US doesn't take you very far in the horse world here in Europe right now. Not that the top selling prices at foal auctions are considered the ballpark to consider but the crème de la crème has always sold for way more than 10K Euro here and will probably always do.
    Sought after foals sell for 10K and up here. That's not to say you can't get a way above average and very well bred foal for less than 3K but you have to get lucky. Running into a lucky situation is ever so possible here (e.g. divorce sale, breeder needing to make room for new crop, retiring whatever) but better be prepared to pay good $$ for good quality. Most of the time the truly desired foals will be serious €€ exchange rate or not. And before you decide the US-bred ones are too pricey I would suggest you have a look at them physically
    When did I say that the N.A. foals were too pricey?? Or that I wouldnt take a look at foal? I also said its the mare line that interests me - but I know now that there are a few breeders here that have that mareline and I have reached out to them to see if they have any interest in selling a filly from this line. I would much rather spend my $$ here than oversea's.