The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    everyone gave great advice and anecdotes!

It is amazing to me that more I learn, the more I know, the more it becomes obvious to me how badly I ride.
    Lol! I know what you mean. I used to think I rode pretty well....
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Bad week? How about an altogether lousy winter? I'm looking out the window and seeing SNOW for the 20-something'th time since December. And it's a whopping 14 degrees. I'm not usually a whiner about cold weather, but this sucks.

My normally sensible horse seems to be trying out for the rodeo. But I've learned a few things -- like how to read him better so I can take appropriate action when he's "in the mood" and how to plaster my ass on his back like it's two saddle bags if I happen to misread him.

Hang in there.

This too shall pass.

Remember that on your best days, you're never as good as you think you are. And on your worst, you're never as bad.

If I come up with some more trite aphorisms, I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    My normally sensible horse seems to be trying out for the rodeo. But I've learned a few things -- like how to read him better so I can take appropriate action when he's "in the mood" and how to plaster my ass on his back like it's two saddle bags if I happen to misread him.
    I happened to misread mine 2 weeks ago-nothing could have kept me on his back except crazy glue, and even that is doubtful. I was just thinking I should get off now and let him buck it out on the lunge, but it was too late, I was off before I even finished the thought!

I know how ya feel. I have been working for a year with my guy and want to ride in a test soon so I decided to take him to the show grounds along with some horses from our barn that were showing this past weekend. He loaded right up and got off like a champ. After all the schooling and braiding and prep work for the other horses was done my daughter got on him for me to see what he was gonna do. He had been to many shows in his past career as a jumper but was retired for a few yrs after losing an eye. He went well for her (he always does ) and itt was starting to fall dusk when I got on. He was a bit tense and I know I was a little too. Then a screeching squeeling truck and trailer came and egan to dismantle the dressage ring. Chains draging against metal, heavy flower boxes banging onto squeeky metal trailer so that I was soon riding a two by four that would stop on a dime and spin around and his head was in my face! After obtaining two or three steps of forward walk I dismounted and took him back to the barn. Next day things were a little better but still was a ride I was not at all happy with. I was soooo disapointed and depressed that for a moment I felt like I would abandon the idea of ever riding him in a test. But I tried to focus on the progress we had made at home and decded to continue to keep at it. Two days later we hade a great ride together and had a break through on an issue we'd been having. I may have to take him to a few more shows just to hang out before riding a test but I guess he will relax sooner or later. I know your horse will come around too... So hang in there. I also know that when I am having a super ride and boarders come over to the ring to watch it all starts to fall apart. Note to self... Work on blocking out outside distractions... Good luck!!
    "Success comes in cans, not in cannots!"