The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Buying a Dressage Saddle- IL saddle fitters

I am looking for a Saddle fitter that will come out to Peotone IL. Its about an hour south of Chicago.

Since I am new to buying a Dressage saddle I do not want to buy a saddle with out trying it first and having a professional determine that it fits properly.

If I cannot find a saddle fitter that will come out with a bunch of saddles I was thinking about trying to buy via a online demo program. What are some good websites that offer a demo program on used saddles?

I don't know about saddlers that will come to you, but I know there's a certified Master Saddler at the tack store called "Saddler's Row". You might wanna google them, call their saddler, and ask her if she can help or perhaps she might know of another saddler that can come out to you. She's extremely knowledgeable, and friendly.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I don't think they do come this far south. Do you know what her name is?

Quote Originally Posted by GallopGal View Post
    I don't think they do come this far south. Do you know what her name is?
    Kate Ballard.

I know of a few saddlers in central IL, but unfortunately they're all mainly western, so they wouldn't have a bunch of Dressage saddles to try. Around here there's a severe deficit of English 'stuff' in general.

EDIT; Just looked up Peotone on a map. Perhaps you might even want to look for saddlers in Valpo, IN (Valparaiso, that is ). You might have a better bet that way.

You could try Julie Kaye -- I know she goes to MN and probably does IL too.

http://www.juliekaye.com/

She did a great job on a fitting for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    You could try Julie Kaye -- I know she goes to MN and probably does IL too.

http://www.juliekaye.com/

She did a great job on a fitting for me.
    I had a fabulous experience with her as well. Saddle fits perfectly, she was very professional, and didn't try to sell me anything I didn't need. 100% satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I don't know about saddlers that will come to you, but I know there's a certified Master Saddler at the tack store called "Saddler's Row". You might wanna google them, call their saddler, and ask her if she can help or perhaps she might know of another saddler that can come out to you. She's extremely knowledgeable, and friendly.
    Kate Ballard is no longer working at Saddler's Row. I called them yesterday to inquire about sending her a saddle for adjustment and they told me so.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Kate Ballard is no longer working at Saddler's Row. I called them yesterday to inquire about sending her a saddle for adjustment and they told me so.
    WHAT???

When did this happen??? Did she go somewhere else?

Must not panic!

Default that's right, kate is no longer there.

she's on the east coast now. i believe she got married recently (fall) and is no associated with any tack shop in particular at the moment. (although things may have changed since last i heard, but she's definitely not at saddlers row).

however, saddlers row still has a saddle fitter who travels (not sure if she goes as far as you are). also last i heard they were looking to replace kate (a difficult task i'm sure), so maybe by now they have a new master saddler.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Another vote for Julie Kaye for the very reasons that Wayside stated. My, she would LOVE this thread

Robin

Kate did get married and she is still in Illinois, in Palatine. PM me if interested in speaking with her!

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    she's on the east coast now. i believe she got married recently (fall) and is no associated with any tack shop in particular at the moment. (although things may have changed since last i heard, but she's definitely not at saddlers row).

however, saddlers row still has a saddle fitter who travels (not sure if she goes as far as you are). also last i heard they were looking to replace kate (a difficult task i'm sure), so maybe by now they have a new master saddler.
    I can't imagine there are really THAT many master saddlers to be found. She was fabulous, too. I never even had any work done by her, but I brought in saddles that I resold for basic appraising.

Ok I have an appointment with Kate on March 8th. I don't know if she will have any saddles in my price range though. What can I expect and what questions should I be asking?

Ok I have an appointment with Kate on March 8th. I don't know if she will have any saddles in my price range though. What can I expect and what questions should I be asking?
    Fantastic! She's extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and easy to talk to or ask questions to.

As for questions to ask, I'll let more experienced folks answer that one.

If you have some patience and not in a big hurry. Horse Of Course, from Oklahoma, will be at the Lamplight shows. Marty Haist is a master saddler. HOC comes with a lot of saddles, he will also do house calls.

Smile

Kate is wonderful, and she sells WOW saddles, only rep that I know of and she fit my extremely hard to fit boy !!

I am looking for a Saddle fitter that will come out to Peotone IL. Its about an hour south of Chicago.

Since I am new to buying a Dressage saddle I do not want to buy a saddle with out trying it first and having a professional determine that it fits properly.

If I cannot find a saddle fitter that will come out with a bunch of saddles I was thinking about trying to buy via a online demo program. What are some good websites that offer a demo program on used saddles?
    You're in Peotone too? That's where we are. (Though I'm currently at college in VA - can't wait to come home!)
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook