The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite bridle for smaller head

Looking for a dressage bridle for my hony & not really wanting to break the bank. Needs a cob size & also more refined. No big/thick noseband or browbands. What are some of your favs, low & high end. What are some of the best buys for the $$. Thanks

Either Tory Leatherworks or Bobby's. Stubben also makes some bridles that are finer and look nice on smaller heads. Add a nice blingy browband and you're all hooked up for much less $$$$ than others!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I am also interested in the replies to this question. I bought a beautiful rolled Kieffer bridle for about $200 last summer, but the leather seems to stretch easily. It is a cob and and I like the fit, since Kieffer bridles run so big and my horse has such a small head. I only use it for showing. I would like a bridle that fits as well but better made.

KL Select Bridles are lovely. I bought the Essen for a very refined TB head, and it is lovely. It is the same as most of their bridles, just smaller. I believe they run in the $300 range, but they hold up wonderfully. I have absolutely no complaints about any KL bridles I have had, another one is 7 years old and still looks almost new!

Here is the link to the dressage bridles. The signature collection is also lovely, but a little more pricey.

http://www.klselect.com/kl-select/dressage-bridles.html

My mare has a very refined head. I have an Anky double bridle, and while I'm not thrilled with the leather, it is 1/2" and looks good. I have a schumacher bridle for the snaffle that I also like. She's in the horse size (at the end of the holes) but the cob size might fit your horse. My friend has a Kiefer cob Anja for her Arabian stallion and it fits him very nicely. Dressage Extensions has very reasonably priced bridles, many of which are offered in cob size.

Good luck!
    J.

I have a KL Select bridle that I love. It's the Red Barn line, which is a little less expensive, mines the Centerline style, it has a padded nose band and brow band, but both are still pretty thin compared to many out there. I have a tb with an almost cob sized face that's very refined, but this one fits him very nicely. Their leather is also very nice quality, I have another KL bridle that I've had 7 or 8 years now that's still in great condition with minimal conditioning and whatnot needed.

My cob-sized Vespucci ROCKS! It fits a wider forehead but also fits my gelding's smaller, tapered nose. One piece headpiece, crank noseband (that's padded in all the right places), nice reins come with. - NICE.

I loff it, the fit, the looks!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

I have the most lovely Barnsby, but they are hard to find. I really liked my Kieffer, though I never had an issue with it stretching. I have a Courbette that is nice as well, though not as nice as the Barnsby or Kieffer.

Avoid Collegiate! Mine fell apart in about 5 places when my pony stepped on the rein. It was insane how much it fell apart.

Default Passier Leo

I just got this one:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-12657

It looks really nice on my TBs head and it doesn't have a huge noseband or a crank. I also like it b/c you can take off the flash with out the little tabby thing being left on, the ENTIRE thing comes off. Very sharp looking. I'll prolly switch out the brow band but thats because i'm an eventer and I need everything to be match!

I wanted a bridle with a crank and a flash noseband for my filly but her head is super tiny (on the verge of being pony sized even though she is 15.3). After searching everywhere I found one made by Premiere. It is not an expensive bridle but it has a padded crown and the noseband is a diamond shape in the center and narrows at the sides. The browband is the same. Their cob size is actually quite small as I actually have holes to move up which is a first for my horse. I couldn't find any pics or info online though.

I use a Keiffer crank bridle for my very, very fine boned Arab mare. (Egyptian breeding, tiny teacup muzzle). It was the only bridle I could find that would fit her tiny head. Since the crank is more adjustable than the regular bridle, I am able to get a good comfy fit. I added a blingy browband to help accentuate her pretty head. I don't think I spent more than $200 total, and the leather is very nice. They have a padded and non-padded version of this particular bridle, and I went with the non-padded and love it.

I wish I could have done the Stubben bridle, but they just were too big.

I like this one, but don't need it in the Weymouth. Wonder if I can just take the bradoon hanger off to make it a snaffle bridle??

http://www.sstack.com/shopping.....uctID=5964

I also like this one, but it may be out of my price. Anyone have a used one laying around http://www.ultimatedressage.com/foru...icon_smile.gif
    http://www.klselect.com/kl-sel.....idle-l.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    I just got this one:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-12657

It looks really nice on my TBs head and it doesn't have a huge noseband or a crank. I also like it b/c you can take off the flash with out the little tabby thing being left on, the ENTIRE thing comes off. Very sharp looking. I'll prolly switch out the brow band but thats because i'm an eventer and I need everything to be match!

OMG! That one comes in pony size... I know what I want for my Birthday!

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

My horse has a small head with a rather boxy shape, she looks pretty homely with too much leather up there.

I went with a Stubben hunter bridle, but had it ordered in black.

I added a homemade bling browband for shows, at home we school in the regular browband.

I have been extremely happy with the fit and the quality, I would buy another in a second.

Here is a pic of my little girl wearing it: http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/phot...19314_2770.jpg

I have a KL Select also...love it...it fits my arab's head wonderfully.

K.L. Select makes really lovely bridles. Especially for smaller heads.