The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ribbons, who gets them?

I am fairly new to dressage but not showing, I have a friend is So Cal that has a horse that her trainer is helping her with and has taken to a few local shows. The trainer gets paid to ride, My friend pays for the classes, the trailer, cleans the tack and pays the trainer too and the trainer is keeping the ribbons. Is this normal practice in dressage? It is not in other disciplines that I know of....
    Any opinions?
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

It's not normal practice where I'm from...
    Proud member of the EDRF

Where I'm from... whoever pays for the class keeps the ribbons.

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

I've always thought all ribbons, prize money and prizes (coolers, cars, etc.) go to the owner of the horse. Such a problem to have!
    "Dreams are the touchstone of our characters." Henry David Thoreau
    Touchstone Farm
    www.bytouchstonefarm.com

Personally, I think the owner gets the goodies. If I am riding someone else's horse, I always offer them the goodies.... now I have had some owners tell me to keep them (I got a nice cooler and saddle pad this way) .

I wouldn't want a trainer who would take that kind of stuff. Seems like your trainers job at that kind of level (not pro) is to help you and your horse be a better team. They oughta want you to have the pleasure of having the ribbons your horse won, even if the trainer helped him win those ribbons.

But JMHO. I don't know the actual "rules" on this kind of stuff. My friend/trainer does not keep the ribbons her other students horses win if the trainer rides them in a class (or two or three).

Most of the pros I know already HAVE plenty of ribbons, and don't care about a few more.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

I agree with all of you but how does she approach this trainer without offending her? She is the first trainer to be able to help her with her horse, due to location and such, unless some of you know another trainer near Poway Cal? Her horse can be difficult and she is a novice rider who loves her horse and wants to do better...I was very upset when I heard this. She is giving the trainer a nice horse, he is a BIG Selle Francais, and a beautiful saddle which she had fitted for him and the best tack (Trilogy saddle) and trailer and truck and the trainer I think is taking total advantage of her but she is so afraid this woman will quit on her what would you do? My friend has stuck through thick and thin with this horse. vet said he was lame for life but a little common sense fixed him...He was way to much horse for her when she bought him but he must have been drugged when she rode him...but she has tried to learn how to do better and they have...Sorry to rant but this really annoys me..Please forgive me....Thanks
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Quote Originally Posted by ivy62 View Post
    I agree with all of you but how does she approach this trainer without offending her?
    I would first try the " I would like to keep the ribbons etc." as a memory and record of his accomplishments" approach.

If that fails I would simply tell the trainer that I found out that it is the industry norm for the owner to get the prizes ( unless another arrangement made) and you would like to have an agreement in writing as to what each party brings to the table and come to a final decision so that there are no misunderstandings.

I would just go to the trainer and say, "You know how much I care about Horse and his success, and it would mean a lot to me to have his ribbons."

If the trainer balks, she (friend) can mention that that is the how it's normally done and if it's still an issue, well, then decide whether what the trainer is doing for the horse is valuable enough to just let her keep a few bits of satin, or whether a lack of professionalism necessitates a switch to a new trainer.
    Proud member of the EDRF

I think in some cases the rider can keep the ribbons. Lesson horses, equitation, and any kiddo's riding someone else's horse because they don't have or can't ride their own.

But as the trainer, no, the owner should get them. It just seems unprofessional for the trainer to expect to keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    Where I'm from... whoever pays for the class keeps the ribbons.
    That's my rule. Why would the pro need/want the ribbon after having all expenses paid for + getting paid for the ride. I find that absurd and selfish! If the Pro wants the ribbon/prizes, the Pro needs to pay for the classes and showing expenses (if, of course, the owner would allow them to show).

Here (in Denmark) the rules state that cash prizes go to the owner of the horse, and non-cash goodies go to the rider. Ribbons are awarded to the horse & rider combination, but the rules don't specify who should keep the ribbons if there's a disagreement. In my experience, the rider always keeps the ribbons by default.

I've never heard of the trainer keeping the ribbons. I've worked with many trainers and if they show my horse they always make a point of giving me the ribbon that my horse won. It sounds like your friend has to decide if the training help is worth the selfishness.

Does the trainer display everyone's ribbons in the tack room or barn somewhere? Then it's a bit of a brag for the student, horse and trainer as a show team group effort and helps bring in more business as everyone wants to train with a winning showbarn.

usually the owner keeps ribbons, but I sure wouldn't lose a good trainer over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchstone Farm View Post
    I've always thought all ribbons, prize money and prizes (coolers, cars, etc.) go to the owner of the horse.
    I also think it's strange the trainer is keeping the ribbons. In my mind the horse is the one winning the ribbons/prizes/etc., so the spoils go to the horse's owner. My mom technically owns my horse, and so she gets everything we win, even the dressage tests. I'm just happy to see her be so proud of us!

owner gets the ribbons, any prizes, and the test score cards (the test with juge's comments and scores)

On some occasions I offered the trainer keep prizes, like halters for example, but I always wanted the ribbons...

The trainer does get a ribbon, it's called a check. It has her name on it and everything.
    The owner gets it all

If my horse won a saddle pad I would probably give it to my trainer, but if the horse won a sheet I would keep it.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Swan Hill Guest

What if the horse wins an award that is engraved with the trainers name and the horses name?

Quote Originally Posted by ivy62 View Post
    I agree with all of you but how does she approach this trainer without offending her?
    "Hey, Ms. Trainer, can I have your ear for just a quick minute? I am absolutely thrilled with the wonderful work you are doing with Mr. Horsey. I couldn't be more pleased with how he is going and I'm especially happy that you are riding him so beautifully in the showring. Now, I know we hadn't ever discussed this before, but in my past experience, the owner of the horse always kept any ribbons or other prizes won while the trainer was in the saddle. I'm just so proud of how well Mr. Horsey is doing with you, that from here on out, I'd really like to be able to take all the ribbons and whatnot home and display them."

Unless "Ms. Trainer" is a real head case and utterly unprofessional, such a request should be no problem. If Ms. Trainer protests, your friend should then take up the firm-but-polite broken record technique.

For instance --

Ms. Trainer: "Well, I prefer to keep the ribbons because, after all, I'm the one schooling Mr. Horsey and doing the work in the showring."

Horse Owner: "Ms. Trainer, I understand your position, but I really just don't agree. From here on out, I want to take all of Mr. Horsey's ribbons home with me."

Ms. Trainer: "Well, I keep the ribbons from all my other clients and I don't see why I should do things differently for you."

Horse Owner: "I understand that, but from here on out, I want to take all of Mr. Horsey's ribbons home with me."

And so on and so on and so on. Just remind your friend to remain pleasant and positive ... the argument, if there is any, is over a 30-cent piece of shiny fabric, not the fate of the free world.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus