The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite Brands of Riding Apparel

What are your favorite brands of riding apparel and why do like them so much?

Tropical Rider breeches. Great quality, wears well, beautiful deerskin, many different styles. I especially love the Toasties for winter riding. They are indeed toasty.

I love Kerritt's plain riding tights. They are lightweight, cool in summer, which in Florida is pretty much year-round, plus they are durable as heck. I've caught branches on my tights, got a cut on my leg underneath, but those breeches didn't even get a hole! I wear the heck out of them and the only problem I've ever had was the stitching on one pair came loose on the waistband. I got out the sewing machine and fixed them in an instant, but that never happened on any others.

A friend of mine had on some cool Kerritt's today. They had leg pockets in them for a cell phone or whatever. Very handy.

Another thing nice about Kerritt's....and all you plus size riders will appreciate this. They are the only brand (that I've found) that carries sizes for plus sized riders and they are so comfortable and roomy.

My favorite boots are from Dublin and Ped's support socks to help keep my feet and ankle's supported. And don't forget my Tipperary helmet with a Salamander visor, and I'm ready to ride! Oh, and T-shirts from the flea market!!! They're cheap and the guy has all kinds of pretty horsey iron-on designs, so I have horses t-shirt galore.
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Angel Can Fly

www.saddlebums.com tights! I have a pair each of the Ultimate Full Seats and the Racing Tights (to which I custom added a full seat). I love them. Very very tough, they fit perfectly (even on my odd-shaped bod) and were worth every penny. I've been through woods, brush, brambles and sticker bushes without one snag or pull. Machine wash in cold with Woolite and you're done.

Love my IRH skull cap. Very light weight and comfy, even in the summer since it's vented. Watch Jeffers for their sales on them.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Another vote for Kerrits. They're well-made, durable and not too expensive (especially if you know your size and shop on eBay or Tack of the Day ). I have two pairs of the Performance Tights (cool for summer) two pairs of the Pocket Sport tights (handy pockets on the leg), and three pairs of the Microcord full seats. I ride a lot and they all wear like iron and wash up really well. I also have Kerrits' Windsport riding vests, and I love them. Very comfortable for riding and flattering, too.

The only caveat for Kerrits: If you're ordering tights or breeches online or from a catalog, ask if the style you want runs small. Some do.

A good friend recently gave me a pair of Equissentials full seats. O.M.G. They are heavenly. But I think I'll wait for at least one pair of my Microcords to wear out before I spring for a pair of E's -- they're around $180, I think.

I have two pairs of the Tropical Rider Toasties, love them!

Irideon and Kerrits!

Irideon! I have a pair of their Cadence Low Rise breeches and they are the most comfortable breeches I've ever owned. I'm going to definitely buy more!

F.I.T.S. breeches! they are my new favourite! the most comfortable and flattering pair of breeches I have ever worn! And the deerskin patches are really nice, they are grippy, without glueing you down to the seat.

I also love Horka jackets. Apparently you can't get them in the US though. I got one in Holland a few years ago, it is the lightest, warmest, most comfortable and cute jacket I have ever had. I should have gotten two, but I didn't realize they didn't have them here at the time...

I used to think Kerrits and Equissentials were the best..until I found Tropical Rider. Love them, live in them, at the barn, around the house, to the store...

Irideon.

I love their boot cut breeches. I think they're for Saddle seat showing, but they're great because they hang over your boots nicely and you don't have to wear chaps if you don't want to.

Also I have some of their shirts that are really nice in the summer.

DarkRide Guest

Tropical Rider for breeches. Target's ladies fitness section for tops, sport bras and jackets. Ariat shoes and half chaps. Best of all ~ rockel gloves (they last in any weather).

Ovation riding breeches in jean material...Ariat heritage lace-up boots...Columbia light weight fabric fishing styled shirt that is vented....protects against the brilliant hot sun here in Fl.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Cheap track pance and half chaps. Don't cost much, don't care if they get wrecked. Can use them for yard work, sitting around nights, have maybe a dozen pair and can change colors to match the Tee shirt or sweat shirt.
    Did I mention they are really cheap???

Kerrits for shirts and jackets -- I love their styles. Mountain Horse is a close runner up.

Smooth Stride (if you don't know what they are -- you have to google them! They're super! Someone here turned me onto them) or Cavallo for breeches. I wanted to love Tropical Riders -- but could never find a pair that worked for me.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Tropical Rider
    Saddlebums
    Equissentials
    Blundstone
    ProChaps
    UnderArmour (for shirts and undies)

Default My favrout brand

i try Hispar It is gr8
    www.hispar.com

I LOVE Ariat boots. I have a high arch, and every pair of boots I have gotten fit me wonderfully. I could wear them all day!

The best tights I have found are actually Sportack's own brand.

http://www.sportack.com/cms/index.cf...8/96917/96919/

I have some more insulated Ariat's and Irideon tights for really, really cold days. I like them ok, but for THREE season's, you cant beat Sportack's tights for comfort. They arent very expensive and last forever.

OH, and I second the vote for UnderArmor. I used several layers, and was soooo warm even on frigid days. UnderArmor is VERY light and lets you move freely while keeping you extremely warm. I LOVE their sweatshirts and turtlenecks. The surface is pretty slick, so sand and hair doesnt stick like crazy either.