The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Schroeder...Your opinion?

I made a descision on Schroeder by Sandro Hit. Out of all of the stallions I watched clips of, etc, Schroeder stuck in my head. I think he will greatly compliment the mare I'm breeding to, adding quality to her weaknesses. He neck, and trot being one. I sent in my booking fee tonight. So everyone, what do you think of Schroeder??
    Last edited by Piaffe~Passage; Jan. 1, 2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Wanted to add more information

Too early to say since no offspring. He has mostly jumping pedigree, but got the SH trot. I saw him last year at the licesing and he is a nice boy!

Are you breeding for dressage or jumping?
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

I'm breeding for Dressage.

I too am leaning towards Shroeder for my new mare. All of Kathy's boys are very very nice so it has been a hard decision. She is very helpful in honestly assesing your mare and her stallions so that you can make an educated decision. My mare's back can use shortening and she needs length of leg and I think Shroeder may be the best because of those issues but don't think I could really go wrong with any of them. I love the multi-talented ones and since my mare has jump and beautiful movement too this could be a fantastic cross I hope. Good luck with your mare and I would love to compare baby pics if we both are lucky and have foals by him next year.

Wink

I'm also looking at Shroeder for one of my mares. She is small (15.2h) by Reno/Riverman and has jumping lines on the Dam side also. The SH lines are suppose to add length of leg which she needs and I too was impressed with the video clip. Just something about him that drew me to him. This mare is currently in foal to Pablito and last year had a super high scoring colt by our pony stallion, so I'm not sure what she will produce with a full size sire. Its a bit of a gamble on all accounts with him being so young and having no babies, and me not not know what the mare will produce with a stallion of this size and nature...however, I allow myself one breeding gamble per year.
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

I'm definately breeding for a Dressage prospect, and am hoping that Schroeder's trot will come threw onto the mare. All of her weaknesses seam to be his strength, his trot, and his neck, I think will greatly improve Swings. Crossing my fingers anyways!

I think Kathy has a Schroeder foal coming fairly soon.

I got a video of him last week and he is fancy. Very SH trot with lots of knees up. His canter was very balanced as a young horse and he looked overall very nice and modern. Def. one to cross on older style mares.
    He and Sangol at Dreamscape Farm are both nice.
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Thanks everyone! He arrived home Thursday night. I picked him up at the quarantine and we took the blanket off and all our jaws dropped. He just gets better and better everytime I see him. He has matured so much since the licensing as a 2.5 year old. He is so sweet, leggy and such a fancy mover in all 3 gaits. We turned him out in the show and I could just watch him for hours. I can't wait to take him to the shows this year. We have 2 babies due here from him this year. One due March 22 out of our Keur Flemmingh x Ahorn mare and another due May 27 out of our Keur Elite Silvano x Flemmingh mare. So, I plan to have some foals to show off this year too.

Kathy
    www.majesticgaits.com
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

Kathy,
    Since you have been breeding Dutch horses for a long time, and are a devotee of Dutch bloodlines, what motivated your interest in this stallion? Maybe others are curious too.

Thanks.

Sally

Why, everyone knows that the Hanoverian has been on the top list for years for producing dressage horses!

(just teasing, I do have a couple of Dutch myself )

Cant wait to see how he developed!! Glad to hear he arrived safe and ready to go!

Sincerely
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

Sally:

To answer your question, he is a fantastic stallion and everything that I was looking for? I wanted, super character/temperament, good conformation and 3 strong fancy gaits with a strong end that is needed for the upper levels. And bringing him home on Thursday, we are all going through the WOW stuff. He just gets better and better every time I see him.

The Dutch and Hanoverian have been the top 2 books for a long time. I think the only true Dutch lines are the old Groninger and Gelderlander and everything else is imported in for the riding type horses. That is kind of true for any registry really. They all run together after a while as far as bloodlines.

Schroeder is KWPN PROK and scoped, so he just needs to go Grand Prix. Just...hahahaha. It will take some time of course but that is our plan. But, the Dutch mares get Register A and they don't have to worry about the xray and scoping requirement for the offspring. They have all the same possibilities as the foalbook foals. So fine for the Dutch breeding. The one thing nice about the KWPN book is they are open to the other European registries.

Also, we try to cover all the registries for backing up the VDL frozen semen as we have breeders from all the registries breeding with their stallions and the ones standing here. Schroeder can now backup our Hanoverian breeders if needed.

Kathy
    www.majesticgaits.com
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst