The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Un-dorky helmets?

So I loaned my new helmet to a friend the other day and YIKES! that thing is huge and really, really dorky. It was the first time it's been out and about on the track and ummm.... well.... someone shouted out to my friend "where'd you get that stupid looking helmet?" I was mortified.

I recently had to get a new helmet and ordered one on the Internet and never looked at myself with it on. I've only used it around the farm and people do make fun of me, but well, that's normal. I was thinking it was just the new standards make them so big, but I mean NOBODY on the track had one nearly as big as this one. Plus, this one is heavy and not very comfortable. Most of the guys where I run have helmets older than I am, but surely there is something new that I can get that doesn't make me look like I have half a bowling ball on my head?!

Suggestions???

What kind did you get?

I'm assuming most of the track guys are probably wearing Caliente's.

http://www.bigdweb.com/detail.aspx?id=24471

I don't ride at the track, but used to exercise at a farm, and I have a Champion helmet, which I like a lot!
    Last edited by SteeleRdr; Feb. 15, 2008 at 02:06 PM.

I used to be a "bobby bucket head" too. It was more of a european steeplechase style. But the second I went back to the track after a 3 year hiatus, i got a more streamlined helmet,. Feel so much better and less silly!
    To get in the winners' circle you must first get into the gate

I wear one of the Tipperary helmets.. which I have noticed more and more track people wearing, but I did get made fun of greatly at first.
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

There is a guy up at Penn National... he makes very nice helmets for galloping... I'll try and find his info! But they wont be any use anywhere else.

Okay, I didnt find exactly who I was looking for, but here is a good site for a variety of different helmets for the track....

http://www.winhoss.com/helmets.htm

Default Helmets

You can try Jockeytack.com they carry the Excalibur which looks like a Caliente-- only safer-- I have one and I love it
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

The site that Pink posted has the leather covered ones that I was looking for... good deal!

What I have looks just like the Charles Owen at the bottom of the page
    http://www.jockeytack.com/AnProducts...it=Submit&ID=2 But, it's a Harry Hall and it is not "one of the lowest profiles" like the CO claims. It was also considerably cheaper - which probably should have been a dead giveaway.

So, the Excalibur (not to be confused with the sheath cleaner) is lightweight, too? My helmet is kind of heavy and the padding is uncomfortable on the front side.

Doublete, if I showed up in south La. with one of those Tipperary helmets, I think I'd be laughed out of town - you're much braver than I! It's going to take me long enough to live down the bubble head incident (which was made even worse by the fact that I loaned my helmet to a guy w/ short hair and I tuck a whole pony tail up in it, so it was huge on him besides just being dorky).

Well I have a Charles Owens helmet designed by A.P. McCoy. Maybe it does look like a big bubble, but for comfort and safety I love it. It is the most comfortable thing I've ever had on my head. Not to mention the little bits at the back of the neck are really good. Considering how many times I hurt my neck when galloping, I would have gladly taken a few jives in the name of safety.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

This is my helmet...excuse how large I look in this pic...I had just had a baby!

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...diandgrady.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    This is my helmet...excuse how large I look in this pic...I had just had a baby!

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...diandgrady.jpg
    That looks good - thanks for posting! You also look great - not large at all. However, you do bring up a good point - do you think my ginormous helmet makes my a$$ look smaller by any chance?? If so, it might be worth keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyFox View Post
    That looks good - thanks for posting! You also look great - not large at all. However, you do bring up a good point - do you think my ginormous helmet makes my a$$ look smaller by any chance?? If so, it might be worth keeping.

Now that would be worth keeping an oversized helmet!

Um, Andi, as if you could ever be big! You look the same as I remember you all those years ago. Your horse looks brilliant too!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Question from a horse show person: do you guys have to have helmets of a certain ASTM rating, like we do? The Charles Owen would pass muster for us, but I don't know about the others.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I use a Troxel helmet to gallop out horses, I've gone through 2 helmets in 7 years, that second helmet was bought just last spring. My first helmet had survived multiple hoof gouges, falling off a horse at full speed right into a T-Post, and many falls.

My old one was red/white/blue and my current is black with a dial fit system, very comfortable, light, and strong.
    http://www.troxelhelmets.com/product...p?ProductID=14
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

I also find the Tipperary Sportage Helmet to look nice, be comfortable, not so sure about the safe. I'm going to run one through a crash test one day or another. A friend uses one, I've tried it on, and it's very light.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...cd2=1203193198
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

those new "bucket head" helmets, are really for jocks riding races, we're required in many states now to wear them, including KY and IN. For galloping, the excaliburs are great helmets. I get all my tack through WHIPS INTERNATIONAL (www.jockeystore.com) based in NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Um, Andi, as if you could ever be big! You look the same as I remember you all those years ago. Your horse looks brilliant too!

Terri
    Thanks Terri, but I was huge in that pic...

That is my big horse Grady, LOL... he is now at the farm, learning to be a foxhunter... he has a home with me for life!