The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Selling a horse that cribs

How can a breeder go about selling one their horses that cribs. ? Is there a niche market for those animals? I will be upfront about it as with any other problem. Suggestions how to market, please? Peg

Just put the information in your ad. Cribbing doesn't deter some people. As long as it says cribber in the ad, you shouldn't get too many people who refuse to have one that call you.

Is this a youngster? Or a performing horse? If it's a youngster, you might have a harder time selling. Most of the people I know will overlook cribbing if the horse has everything else that they want.

everone is different ofcourse, but I could care less!
    But would like to know befoehand ofcourse
    Sincerely Linda
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

Having owned a cribber and knowing the management associated with it, I would never buy another young one again unless I absolutely fell in love with the horse for it's other attributes and HAD to have it, or it was the perfect schoolmaster for me that could teach me the ropes. But I would expect to not pay as much for the horse as it would otherwise be worth without any vices.

Cribbing can cause them to wear their teeth down prematurely, colic, and build up excess gas in their stomach which can lead to colic. And keeping a collar on them has it's own challenges. They loosen up and stop working, they twist around and stop working, they get all kinds of dirt and gunk between them and the horse's neck and require constant cleaning....but if you forego the collar and let them crib then you have the other problems I mentioned.

I've heard that anti-ulcer treatments have helped some cribbers, but I haven't seen any dramatic results in my own personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
    Just put the information in your ad. Cribbing doesn't deter some people. As long as it says cribber in the ad, you shouldn't get too many people who refuse to have one that call you.

Is this a youngster? Or a performing horse? If it's a youngster, you might have a harder time selling. Most of the people I know will overlook cribbing if the horse has everything else that they want.
    This is exactly what I would have typed. Personally, I would never knowingly buy a cribber no matter what other attributes they might have. My first horse was a cribber and it has scarred me. Other folks are wiser and would overlook this vice if everything else is ok.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

Yup. Put the info in the ad and let that sort out the people who won't touch 'em for you. It will save you and potential buyers who don't consider cribbers a lot of time.

I have owned three cribbers, and while I would never seek one out, I wouldn't let that fact alone scare me off....
    Y'all ain't right!

A client of mine just took a "free" pregnant mare (Saddlebred) and turns out she cribs and has ulcers...of course that was not mentioned when she took her! She stall walks and paces also and a bigger pain in the butt I've never had to deal with. You could not give me a cribber. This mare will crib even with a miracle collar on as tight as I dare put it.

I've been lucky to never have one of my babies learn to crib but I sympathize with your situation. I would be very up front about it and it sounds like you are planning to.

I own a cribber, but to me, it really depends on how adicted they are to cribbing. One like DB described wouldn't interest me (she also has other vices like stall weaving), but my mare is a very mild cribber, usually mainly after meals (I have tried antacids, don't work) and she is so mild that she doesn't need a collar. She is a super mare otherwise. She didn't start cribbing until I had her at a boarding situation where they fed very little hay and she was next to a cribber. But again, I don't mind mild or easily controlled cribbing.

State it upfront in the add (and I would also put an indication of how easy it is to control)

My husband and I went to a vet seminar last year on colic. The 2 vets there said that cribbing as a cause of colic was a myth. That surprised me bc I had always heard what was described above. They said that it can be hard on a horse's teeth but did not cause colic.

Of course it can be irritating if the horse is a bad cribber, but if the rest of what that horse has to offer is what I am looking for, it wouldn't stop me from buying it.

As long as it is disclosed in the ad, you should be fine. That way if someone doesn't want a horse that cribs, it won't waste anyone's time.
    Work - feed - ride - shovel poop - repeat.

I have owned a cribber - wonderful, sweet, easy going horse. I do insist that any cribber on the property be controlled with a plain strap (stirrup leather, or french collar). I won't deal with a Miracle collar - the horses hate them.

My husband and I went to a vet seminar last year on colic. The 2 vets there said that cribbing as a cause of colic was a myth.
    A friend of mine had a horse that cribbed, did not wear a strap. After his 2nd colic surgery that the surgeons attributed to cribbing, they told her to get a strap on the horse. He never coliced again. One horse here that cribbed had to have the strap left off for a few weeks due to a sore (metal throat rusted). During that time, she coliced badly, and we almost lost her. No colicy issues either before or after. I will have to disagree with the "it is a myth" statement.

I've had several cribbers are brood mares. They never, ever 'taught' any of the other mares to crib nor did their offspring (many) ever crib.

There's some pretty good anecdotal evidence (at least - maybe also papers but I'm not sure) that changing the feed can eliminate, or almost eliminate, cribbing. I changed all my horses over to a ration balancer, a bit of plain oats, alfalfa pellets and well soaked beet pulp and I have no more cribbers. There's some strong evidence that too much grain causes acid gut syncrome and horses crib to relieve the pain. This is NOT the same as ulcers, but rather too much grain spilling over into the hindgut and being fermented, rather than digested, and causing acid gut syndrome.

If not an outrageous cribber that cribs rather than eats - even with a change in diet - I'd probably have no problem with the horse.

I'd put the horse on Gastrogard or Ulcergard and see if he doesn't stop cribbing. He probably will.

FWIW, we had a cribber as our first BTSH and we loved him. He was Children's Hunter Champion at WEF and sweet as pie. We never had any colic issues with him.
    http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
    CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
    Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

I had a TB for 3 years that cripped, and a boarders horse will suck on ANYTHING ANYTIME (he is out with Electric so has no means He has been here 5 years. Neither has ever coliced, not taught others. So, it is based on those 2 that I would not mind.

Linda
    Linda Woltz
    www.walnut-farm.com
    standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

Is he a wood chewer or a cribbber. There is a difference

Peg, two of my best horses are cribbers (bought them as cribbers), just be upfront.
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

We have had two cribbers on the farm, interestingly they wre both by the same WB sire.
    One was a boarder's and the other we bred. The one we bred started cribbing before he was weaned. I sold him as a two year old to a woman who already had a cribber and she wasn't concerned at all. I did discount the price a little because of the cribbing. She trained him and showed him thru to third Level dressage and then sold him for what I consider a great price..so I'm guessing she had no problems selling him either. Just be up front and either advertise him as a cribber or that be one of the first things you tell a prospective buyer about as soon as they call.

The two cribbers we had here were fairly mild, really only cribbing after eating for a while but neither of them transferred that vice to any other horse on the farm, no colic issues.
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

Be honest about what the horse can do and emphasise its attributes but also be up front about this vice and price the horse accordingly.

There's plenty of folks buy horses that crib

My junior hunter (long time ago) was a cribber. We knew it before we bought him and I loved him. That said, I would never ever ever ever have another one. He would pull automatic waters off the wall in his stall, flooding it, he would pull the top board of the fence when turned out, he was very hard on everything and anything and he wasn't even that bad of a cribber.

Recently had a friend who had a cribber and same thing: couldn't keep weight on him because he would rather crib than eat, broke boards in the pasture causing constant repair, pissed off everyone else in the barn because things were constantly getting broken by him.

At shows, it is even harder.

To me it depends on how bad the cribbing is.. I have had 2 and both were Very mild and it did not bother me one bit. Both preferred cribbing on plastic and only after meals. One was a broodie and had numerous foals with NONE of the cribbing. I also owned a wind sucker which did not bother me at all.... GREAT horse and obviously never did any damage.

The vice that I would never knowingly buy is a wood chewer!!! There is nothing more destructive then a beaver in a horse suit !!!

For me it would definitely depend on how bad of a cribber the horse is. Can his cribbing simply be controlled by a nutcracker strap or a miracle collar? I had a horse who was a mild cribber- his was controlled mostly by wearing a nutcracker strap. Uncontrolled cribbing can be very destructive- both to your property and the horse imo.