The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cord girths?

Anyone use a cord dressage girth?? A friend of mine has a stubben cord girth and she loves it. Can't find to many US tack shops that carry them...all over the UK though. Any opinions??

I use the Montana Cincha 100% mohair cord girth with neoprene and leather buckle backers. I have the black and white version with keepers. Very beautiful girth. Costs about $90 but well well well worth the cost. I loved it so much I ordered a second one and when I get the dough I'll order a third so all 3 mares have their own.

You can get them from most endurance tack shops:

Action Rider
    Running Bear
    Sportack
    Long Riders Gear
    Distance Depot

Etc...

I use this one from Dressage Extensions: http://www.dressageextensions.com/Pr...l.asp?KEY=2752
    and plan to get a mohair one as the previous poster said.

I have a black mohair cord girth and I hate it. After it is washed it take awhile to stretch out so when you tighten the girth it doesn't stay tight until it has been worn for a while. And it tends to pill so you really have to watch what you throw into the washer with it.

Unlike the trevira nylon one, that I love, that doesn't shrink up then stretch out after washing and it doesn't pill and looks new a lot longer.

I have ridden with the Stubben cord girth, my horse loved it. He loved it even more when I put padding under the buckles. Now I ride with a Montana Endurance Anatomical girth. If you go to the endurance forum, there are quite a lot of posts about string/cord girths. I've found mohair/string girths to be the best solution for my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    I have a black mohair cord girth and I hate it. After it is washed it take awhile to stretch out so when you tighten the girth it doesn't stay tight until it has been worn for a while. And it tends to pill so you really have to watch what you throw into the washer with it.

Unlike the trevira nylon one, that I love, that doesn't shrink up then stretch out after washing and it doesn't pill and looks new a lot longer.
    You NEVER put mohair in the washing machine! It's a natural angora fiber, and you wouldn't toss your angora sweaters in the wash! You gently wash by hand in cold water using no detergent, or a tiny speck of Woolite, then you lay flat on a towel to dry.

I haven't had my girths long enough yet to have to wash them, but I have washed western mohair girths according to the mfgers. directions. Washing machine is a major no no.

So the pilling and shrinking isn't the fault of the product, but yours for not following the care instructions. LOL

i don't recall ever using anything other than a trevira cord girth for dressage. oh i used a cottage craft for a while, but mostly, cord girths. i have a couple and will wash one and use the other.

Dover has some cord girths, but maybe not cord dressage girths... I think theirs are white, and I would probably go with black if I were you (a little more discreet )

love mine, but alas got them all in Germany..hard to find the right fit if you have long billets.

Any dealer that carries Stübben and Courbette stuff should be able to order trevira cord girths in black, brown, or white for you, in short or long billet styles.

Tip: measure your current girth in centimeters and then order that size as the US conversions in the dealer catalogs aren't always accurate. Don't ask me how I (or my lovely, patient, tack shop folks) know...

Personally I like the mohair ones a bit better, but if you do want to toss them in the washer get the treviras. The Courbettes and the Stübbens are pretty indistinguishable (they must be outsourced to the same factory) and have really nice hardware.

Smile

I have used both the mohair and the plain cord girths. I wash both in the washer. I like the "give" in the mohair.

The only caveat I have concerning them is thatthey don't always come with billet keepers,so you then need to make some or sew on a tape ring.

LOVE mine, as does my very sensitive TB.