The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Not since I've had him, we have had light snows that last a day.

Does deep mud count because we get a lot of that, LOL!!!

I guess I need to clarify when I mentioned I would to see some little girl owning him as I came across a chat board with some members talking about this chat board (Coth-Giveaways) and I read this:

"loshad wrote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I particularly like the ad for the blind animal that is being touted as a safe children's trail horse."

What I meant is, not by a child as in 1-11 years old but as in child like 12 to 18 years old, and that also depends on what horse experience the child has.

Sorry for any misconceptions about my posting, I don't mean for a YOUNG inexperienced child to have a blind horse, that is foolish. I hope that is clear.

Has this horse been out with other horses in electric fence? I really like him. Good Luck with placing him. How old is he?

Drooling!

He doesn't do good but with one maybe two horses, either mares (they love him) or a young horse does great with him, because if in a herd he will tend to be picked on by someone.

We have a horse wire type fence between the pastures from him and his buddy to keep them from him, there is wire on the other side but not on his side so he only bumps the wire fence, but rarely as he knows where it is. I am afraid he has electric braid wire around the other 3 fince lines but he goes no where near them, it really is amazing how well he knows that pasture. Once we get more funds we are going to replace all the electric with the mesh type fencing for him.

He is about 16 years old.

Ok, I was planning to stay away from here since I figured you wanted your thread to stay nice, but apparently not. You have a 16 year old blind horse who is currently safe and happy. He knows his way around. He knows the other horses. He may have one that acts as a guide for him. And yet, you think he needs more work and want to give him away to a place where he doesn't know the people, the pasture and doesn't have anything familiar. IME, this is asking for a badly injured pony.

I wish I had pictures of a blind horse I knew who got out of her comfort zone, away from her guide buddy and somehow smacked herself up against a fence when she spooked. Disgusting was not even close to the word for what she looked like when we found her.

He's cute. I'm sure you like him. Why not keep him where he is happy and safe? Sending him somewhere else is in no way different from putting someone on him who can't plan ahead while they are riding him. Sorry, giving away a blind horse is selfish IMO. Keep him or euth him, but don't send him away from the pasture, people and routine he knows.

Quote Originally Posted by loshad View Post
    Ok, I was planning to stay away from here since I figured you wanted your thread to stay nice, but apparently not. You have a 16 year old blind horse who is currently safe and happy. He knows his way around. He knows the other horses. He may have one that acts as a guide for him. And yet, you think he needs more work and want to give him away to a place where he doesn't know the people, the pasture and doesn't have anything familiar. IME, this is asking for a badly injured pony.

I wish I had pictures of a blind horse I knew who got out of her comfort zone, away from her guide buddy and somehow smacked herself up against a fence when she spooked. Disgusting was not even close to the word for what she looked like when we found her.

He's cute. I'm sure you like him. Why not keep him where he is happy and safe? Sending him somewhere else is in no way different from putting someone on him who can't plan ahead while they are riding him. Sorry, giving away a blind horse is selfish IMO. Keep him or euth him, but don't send him away from the pasture, people and routine he knows.
    Dusty is not disturbed by being in strange places, I can also trail ride him out without a buddy horse with him. He does not stress during trailering, never has, we take him everywhere via trailer and stall him overnight in strange places when we camp.

I am not wishing to give him away to just anyone, I really just want to free lease him, if they want to I would like to keep him at my place. He just loves having a job. I ride him when I can but it isn't often enough for him. When he is in his pasture he moves about slowly, when someone is on his back he can once again "see" and move out. He is amazing!

If I can't find anyone interested in doing this that is fine, I love the boy and have taken care of him for many years and will do so till I have to put him in the ground, it's not a problem taking care of him. If no one is interested it is fine though. He is just getting a little fat and he's losing his muscle tone he used to have. I try to ride but with a boarding barn and other horses plus a full time job it is hard. Rode him last weekend for a bit, just around the pasture, didn't have time to saddle up and go out on the trails though.

I do have someone interested in free leasing him possibly and him stay here. Which would be absolutly awesome! He will get to get out more!

Thats all I want for him, someone to come ride him or take him to their place if I feel it is a good place for him to be, sign a contract for him to still be mine and come back to me.

He adapts well, he isn't freaked by new or strange places. You walk him around the parimeter and he pretty much remembers. I am constantly amazed by him! He is truely special.

I am so sorry you find it horrible that I wish to free lease him. I wouldn't let him go to anyone, I would make sure they are a good candidate with a good home and a contract he is to come back to me. If I don't feel it will work out then he wont go, I do love him, he is special to me. He's a good boy. I am not going to put him in a situation that is harmful for him.

And I am sorry about your friends horse that smacked herself into a tree when she spooked but we had a SEEING horse do that! Turned to run and BAM!
    Last edited by Chardavej; Feb. 24, 2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: I mispelled Dusty

I do truly understand about wanting more for a horse of your own. I truly love a pony we have. A pony mustang in fact. He is adorable. He is at a place where 3 young boys ride him. He is adorable for them. He adores them as well. He can come back here at any time. I sold a mare to friends of ours that have a teenage daughter that loves the horse. It was a good fit. Both my husband and I have a special mustang each. We just got a mare that needs some groceries. We had a coming two year old that will be a lot of fun for people with more time. These people have time, but no groceries. It is understood that either horse goes back to the other place if it doesn't work out. It doesn't mean we don't care.

I believe people who truly love their animals will do what is right by them, for them, and with them. I think you are doing the right thing, wanting more for him, better for him. You are not trying to get rid of him, you just want him to be used and appreciated.

You go girl!

Quote Originally Posted by mustangtrailrider View Post
    I do truly understand about wanting more for a horse of your own. I truly love a pony we have. A pony mustang in fact. He is adorable. He is at a place where 3 young boys ride him. He is adorable for them. He adores them as well. He can come back here at any time. I sold a mare to friends of ours that have a teenage daughter that loves the horse. It was a good fit. Both my husband and I have a special mustang each. We just got a mare that needs some groceries. We had a coming two year old that will be a lot of fun for people with more time. These people have time, but no groceries. It is understood that either horse goes back to the other place if it doesn't work out. It doesn't mean we don't care.

I believe people who truly love their animals will do what is right by them, for them, and with them. I think you are doing the right thing, wanting more for him, better for him. You are not trying to get rid of him, you just want him to be used and appreciated.

You go girl!
    Bravo! Well said!
    I recognized with despair that I was about to be compelled to buy a horse ~
    Edith Somerville and "Martin Ross"

"Momma" to Tiempo, Tucker and Puff, RIP my beautiful Norman 8/2012

It is quite evident that you have put thought and love into placing this horse. It sounds as if a free lease with him staying at your barn would be wonderful! Do not fret about the other poster...obviously some coth'ers are just looking for trouble. Good luck placing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    Dusty is not disturbed by being in strange places, I can also trail ride him out without a buddy horse with him. He does not stress during trailering, never has, we take him everywhere via trailer and stall him overnight in strange places when we camp.

I am not wishing to give him away to just anyone, I really just want to free lease him, if they want to I would like to keep him at my place. He just loves having a job. I ride him when I can but it isn't often enough for him. When he is in his pasture he moves about slowly, when someone is on his back he can once again "see" and move out. He is amazing!

If I can't find anyone interested in doing this that is fine, I love the boy and have taken care of him for many years and will do so till I have to put him in the ground, it's not a problem taking care of him. If no one is interested it is fine though. He is just getting a little fat and he's losing his muscle tone he used to have. I try to ride but with a boarding barn and other horses plus a full time job it is hard. Rode him last weekend for a bit, just around the pasture, didn't have time to saddle up and go out on the trails though.

I do have someone interested in free leasing him possibly and him stay here. Which would be absolutly awesome! He will get to get out more!

Thats all I want for him, someone to come ride him or take him to their place if I feel it is a good place for him to be, sign a contract for him to still be mine and come back to me.

He adapts well, he isn't freaked by new or strange places. You walk him around the parimeter and he pretty much remembers. I am constantly amazed by him! He is truely special.

I am so sorry you find it horrible that I wish to free lease him. I wouldn't let him go to anyone, I would make sure they are a good candidate with a good home and a contract he is to come back to me. If I don't feel it will work out then he wont go, I do love him, he is special to me. He's a good boy. I am not going to put him in a situation that is harmful for him.

And I am sorry about your friends horse that smacked herself into a tree when she spooked but we had a SEEING horse do that! Turned to run and BAM!

if only there were more horse owners like you in this world, we and horses both would all be in such a better position!

Thank you all for your support! I do love him with all my heart, he is a very special horse and everyone that meets him loves him, he is quite the ham I have to admit and loves to make faces for a cookie!

He is fine here, I just feel bad when I leave him at home and take someone else for a trail ride, would be nice to have him with us! I try to rotate around but just haven't been able to lately, most of the places our friends have been wanting to ride are rocky, tree rooty, low branch trails, he can do it, it's just too hard when thats all there is to the trails, if it's just a little of that he does fine, and I have to ride him with a flymask (or two) to protect his eyes from branches.

Thank you all!! And just for also seeing how special he is!! I wuvs him!

I think its obvious from your posts that you're not dumping him.

Other than turnout (which you clearly explained what works), I don't see the big deal about a blind horse being offered in the giveaways.

The ones that are on their last legs are the ones I find awful to read about on here...yep give them away so you don't have to look at them suffer anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by olympicprincess View Post
    I think its obvious from your posts that you're not dumping him.

Other than turnout (which you clearly explained what works), I don't see the big deal about a blind horse being offered in the giveaways.

The ones that are on their last legs are the ones I find awful to read about on here...yep give them away so you don't have to look at them suffer anymore.
    I agree! It is so sad when they no longer serve a "purpose" and are being pushed away. I have a old mare with heaves and a broken (healed) pelvic bone that is high maintenance (soaked hay everyday, heave medicine (precription and over the counter), oiled grain, joint and other suppliments, beet pulp and weat germ) but when the time comes she will be put down with US, the ones who love her.

We bought her (he should have GIVEN her to us) last May. She is just an expensive pasture pet. A grumpy one at that, but we sure love her. We bought her to get her out of a bad situation, he was still RIDING her and he had stopped feeding her when he lost his job. She is 25 +/- years old and with a foal at her side!

I just want to free lease my boy Dusty because he is a good, useful horse with no health issues (other than being blind, but that isn't making him unsound)

Sometimes it is more selfish to keep a horse you are not using, than to put up with the hassle of finding the a home with purpose.

There are some horses that don't care about going out and doing stuff, and then there are other horses that don't understand why they are not out working every day of the week.
    ~ Kimberlee
    www.SpunkyDiva.com

Someone gave me some recent photos of me and Dusty on a trail ride. I will scan them and post them maybe tonight or tomorrow......

Char, I do have a couple of questions for you about him.

Does he neck rein well? Truly one handed riding?

How does he load in a step up trailer?

How is he with strange noises? Dogs barking? Traffic?

A great friend of mine lives in a residential equestrian subdivision. There is a lot of traffic. He just wants to get on and ride. He doesn't want a horse with any issues, if you know what I mean. I just thought that your gelding may suit him perfectly. He has a dominant mare that is NOT working out for him. It was sold to him as a "packer". The horse is goes nuts....any time. I would like to find him something that is settled. He rides occasionnally and would ride more if he had a horse he could trust....a Been there and done that horse from some one who I trust...He comes over to our house to ride often. I would like to see him ride more. I wouldn't even ride his mare. I don't like her, especially for him. He can ride well. He is 60. He has neck issues. His horse needs to be smooth and easy to handle and ride one handed. Direct reining hurts his neck and shoulders. He can ride a spook. He doesn't like dangerous.

One horse is turned out with my geldings. His other two horses are in a 1.5 acre field with 4 board fence and 12 x 24 run in shed. The dominant mare would be gone. His other horse is a friendly quarter horse mare that is middle of the totem pole. She is not mean about being above other horses. She just pins her ears or nudges them. The gelding I have is bottom of the totem pole. He loves every one.

Let me know what you think. I might be able to help a friend out and you as well. He would have the best of every thing. They are good people and really take good care of their horses. They just need safe horses.

Let me know what you think.

He does neck rein although I don't do it much, he used to be my husbands horse and that is how he would ride him. You know I will have to find out, I know I do ride most of the trail with one hand on my hip or thigh as I cramp between my shoulders, so I feel sure he does so good, you might have to pick up both reins on occation.....I will find out.

He loads well in any trailer, just walk him to it and stop with him right at the door, tap the floor (he will then put his nose down to feel where the floor is) tell him to "step UP" and he steps in. He backs out and turns around also.

He is good with unexpected noises, he spooks in place, he will "freeze" until you tell him what to do, that it's alright, although he usually doesn't react while you are on his back, usually if some unexpected noise and he is by himself (like the tractor starting near him). Cars and such haven't been an issue in the past when he could see, used to ride him on the shoulder of a busy, fast road for two miles to get to the trails. We have moved and since then the trails are in our backyard or we trailer somewhere. Now I do ride him under bridges with the cars going above and he doesn't flinch a muscle.

He is extremely SMOOOOTH! I love his ride! He is also very forward but easy to control.

After typing all of this my hubby called and I asked if he neck reined and he said "Oh yea, he's a neck reining fool." LOL!

Now that I think about it he is pretty "joystick" type steering, if you "oversteer" he will be facing in the other direction and you will be floating in the air still facing forward! VERY light touches with the rein and he turns. He can turn so quick with the lightest touch I used to wonder if at some time in his past he barrel raced?

Hubby says you have to be close by, he wants to be sure anyone that free leases him bonds with him, says he's a "very special boy!" (and he is, wait till you see him, he is one of those horses you just want to stare at) especially if it works out and you want him later. I would like a contract with someone that if it doesn't work out he comes back here. I just want him to have a job. I hate the excuse I have too many horses but I do, I am trying to cut back but then I don't want to I love them all! LOL!

He has to be with just one horse, a mare usually works good as they seem to love him (mean or nice ones, they all seem to love Dusty) or a very quiet gelding. I can't have him getting picked on, he can't see facial expressions to move and then he could get bit or kicked. So it has to be a match there. : )

Let me know if you and your friend would like to come by and meet him. We can go trail riding somewhere or just ride around here, there aren't much trails here though so I am game to go somewhere nearby, that way you can see him away from home and being trailered.

He is an easy keeper and smart horse. He loves things that make noise. He has occational headaches with is soothed with equine aspirin and liquid MSM (which I will provide for him). He goes barefoot and is pretty sound unless there is a LOT of rocks.

Let me work on it. It sounds wonderful. I am in love. I know my friend is looking for a gooood horse. It sounds as if your boy meets the bill. I will talk to him when I get back from a funeral in Savannah tomorrow. I don't know how soon I can get up there to see him. I live on the other side of Columbia, SC. I don't know if we are "close" enough for you or not. My trails are perfect sand and level. My friend's neighborhood is quiet and level.

This just might work.

If not my friend, my hubby would looove to give him a chance. One small problem.....

Hubby is deaf!

Horse is blind!

Match made in heaven?!

Quote:

"Hubby is deaf!

Horse is blind!"

This made me laugh! Well Dusty is VERY good with his hearing and your hubby could tell where the sound came from just by Dusty looking! And speaking of his hearing hubby and I were upstairs yesterday and he was looking out the window over at the barn in Dustys pasture, he said as soon as I turned on the vacuum he looked up and started walking over, looking this way and that trying to find where and what the noise was, he had me come over and look, it was cute!

Dusty is also the only horse I have ever had that comes when you call him, no matter where he is. I love it! All the others I have to go out to the back 40 (or so it seems that far) to get them. Unless it's dinner time then I am their best friend and they come running!

Gosh your trails sound perfect! Sandy and level, just what he loves. The trails around here are uneven unless I go to Latta Plantation or Moses Cone to ride.

Before you come down if you would like I could take a video of him being ridden in the arena. Now that daylight savings is here I have time after work again to ride.

Columbia isn't too far, just a little over an hour.....

Well, at least someone in the duo would be able to hear. LOL. At least hubby can see. What a pair! We will have to send pictures.

We are 45 mins south south west of Columbia. It sounds as though we are only 2 hours apart. Is that too far? You can still come visit any time. Come ride our trails.

My hubby has to work this weekend. The earliest we could see him is next weekend....the 22nd I believe. Is that ok?

I would love to see a vid of him. I am starting to get exciting.