The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Jingles Please for My Old Man - HAPPY Update Post #252

Well ... King is not himself tonight. It's bitter cold and though he ate his Sr. Feed last night, he did not eat but a small handful this morning. He wanted hay, but he does not have the teeth to eat it. He was out all day (with a blanket on) but when I went out tonight to bring them both in for the night and to feed, he was nowhere around. I got in a panic and sent Elijah back out to find him (why do these things always happen on a pitch black night???) So, Eli "found" him and King came in ... slowly. He got halfway inside the barn and just acted like pulling his back legs up six inches to step inside was way too much effort. But he finally did.

He is lethargic, mopey and just standing with his head in the corner. No interest in his feed ... a teeney bit of interest in hay, but not really.

Called the vet and talked -- his gums are pink, his ears are warm. Gave him banamine and will check him again in 30 minutes. Vet is great, will come if I ask him. But don't really know what's going on with the old guy.

Can you please send some jingles that he's just tired of this cold, tired of senior feed, tired of wearing a blanket, tired of achey joints and wishes he were young again ... and so will be back to his curmudgeon-ly old self in the morning? Please? (Maybe the scariest thing of all is that he actually stood there and let me cuddle and kiss his old head ... he must really feel bad! That sort of thing is usually way below his dignity!)
    Last edited by King's Ransom; Feb. 16, 2008 at 12:23 PM.

Have him checked for Lyme Disease if it isn't a colic..

My gelding acted this way last spring, and with treatment he's fine.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

your account is so sweet - I am jingling like crazy for your dear old man! Many many jingles
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Jingles! I hope that King starts to feel better.

*** jingling like mad for your old guy *** I love the old ones!

Ohhhhhhhhh, HRH Avery sends very special jingles to your beloffed "young man".
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I'm so sorry. The old guys worry us so. . . do you think he might be tempted with a nice warm bran mash? When mine are not feeling great, that's an almost sure way to get them to eat. . . and my old man with no teeth can eat that just fine. . . I also give my old guy a bucket of nice warm soaked beet pulp instead of hay. He has no back teeth anymore and has to eat everything soft. Jingles for King. . . and for you.
    Last edited by Over the Hill; Feb. 11, 2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: fumble fingers

Jingling away for King, hang in there old guy.

Default make him some hot oatmeal

Give him a hot bran mash. If you don't have that make some hot human oatmeal. It sounds like he is not getting enough to eat. Lace it with some brown sugar or molasses. Get something hot in his tummy.

Now, King, you knock this off and stop scaring your poor human!

KR, jingling from SC ... wish I could also send you some of our balmy weather to warm King's old bones and loosen his muscles.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Texas-sized jingles for the Kingman! Keep us posted--he's become one of our favorite
    fellas!

Tons of jingles going out to King!

My own dear oldies are pretty stiff & grumpy in this nasty cold . . . maybe if we all wish real hard we'll get some warmer weather!
    ~ A true friend knows all there is to know about you and still likes you. -E. Hubbard

Jingles, can you tempt him with bran or beet pulp?
    I have a 35+ old woman, she has been slow lately, standing around alot. She can't eat hay so she is on the only bit of grass i have.
    Can you believe, somebody told me I shouldn't out her in my front pasture because she looks bad! As if I would care about that

King! How can you greet the granddaughter if you're sick?!?!?!

Jingles.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

i have an old man also and he is the love of my life. king will be in my prayers tonight.

I too have a dear old grump. Jingles, hugs, & prayers from Louisiana.
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

Many jingles for King from warm Florida. How old is he? I know this is hard for you. Please update as you can. We do care.
    Last edited by Sugarbrook; Feb. 11, 2008 at 11:34 PM. Reason: typos
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Big jingles for the old boy. I second the oatmeal idea and plenty of maple syrup. My gelding Simah couldn't resist the maple syrup... Maybe some applesauce in it too?

~{~{~Jingling~}~}~

Jingling jingling!

Take some horse cookies and smush them w/ hot water & molasses. Our sassy old lady pony loves this.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Adding lots of jingles, KR.

For what it's worth, our Old Geezer also sometimes will not eat his grain/senior feed when it's excessively cold, even though that's when I think he needs it the most. Scares me to death, but in a few days he's back to normal.

The current Arctic Blast is, I believe, supposed to pass in a few days; the radio weatherman was talking about the upper 60 by next weekend! Just tell King to hang on. Better times are one the way. Until then, get any calories into him you can, but know that he won't starve to death if you can't do much for a few days. You know he's a tough guy.
    Incredible Invisible