The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff – TB sires that pass on easy temperament and good hunter movement.

Along the lines of the thread about sires that are known for passing on an easygoing “ammy-able” babies, I would love a list of Thoroughbred only sires that meet this criteria?

Thanks

Talking Reputed Testamony

Reputed Testamony passes on a great disposition and fancy looks. www.tamarackhill.com
    I have been the breeder of 4 of his offspring - they are all wonderful. Reputed does pass on incredible movement too - the gelding I bred named The Patriot is a great example - 2007 WIHS A/A Hunter Champion

I bred to Texas Fuel for just that reason--he had produced a bunch of really good minded top show hunters. Unfortunately, my yearling colt is his last foal. I believe there is a stallion son of his standing somewhere in the south.

I LOVE the Noble Houston foals I have seen (from a pure hunter perspective) and have heard nothing but the nicest of things about their temperament as well ...

Guaranteed Gold would also fit into this category as well - produces fabulous hunter type movement with ammy friendly temperaments ...

And Erin Troy's (Baystar Farm) new TB stallion - Harvest Moon - is a doll to work with, passes on the same temperament to his foals and has some wonderful hunter types out there showing as well

I second Reputed Testamony. I have a coming 5 yo homebred full TB by him that is a STAR. She has the best brain and has been a joy to work with. Her pic is in my profile. She is a hack winner in some top company (beat Montego Bay once) and we are coming into the home stretch of her first full season foxhunting, in which we have actually been asked to whip in several times. Our Jt.MFH/Huntsman called her "such a fabulous young horse".
    Where is the bursting with pride icon? I would breed to him again in a heartbeat, and actually am considering it for the near future.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

A Fine Romance throws lovely ammy friendly temperamant.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

My guy is super ammie friendly, as evidenced by me showing/training him Can't say about foals yet, his first 2 are due this year but I've heard his sire and siblings were also ammie friendly.

I've seen several A Fine Romance babies and they appear to be ammie friendly also.

Good luck with your hunt there are a lot of nice ones out there!
    There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse-Robert Smith Surtees
    Breeding TBs, Connemaras and TB/Conn crosses for eventing
    www.twistoffateeventing.com

Got the looks. Got the ammy-friendly mind (babysat 40+ cowardly rerider ). Got the babies that can jump. Got one foal doing well in the hunters (local VA); horse bred mainly appendix QH up til now.

www.pedigreequery/adam+k
    Tinwhistle Farm

My Innkeeper filly has been wonderful.
    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

Ontario <Living life for the journey not the destination>

Our stallion Sato passes on a easy/quiet/ammy friendly temperament. His get are sweet and also quite nice hunter movers. There are new photos of Sato posted on our website too. Any questions feel free to contact us...
    http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com

Join us on FACEBOOK
    Living life for the journey, not the destination.

Not to pick on anyone in particular, but there are at least three stallions suggested in this thread that either don't have offspring undersaddle or offspring that have just started undersaddle.

How can a stallion owner claim that thier stallion throws "ammy friendly" offspring, when none of the offspring have competed in the amatuer ring?

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood Jablowme View Post
    Not to pick on anyone in particular, but there are at least three stallions suggested in this thread that either don't have offspring undersaddle or offspring that have just started undersaddle.

How can a stallion owner claim that thier stallion throws "ammy friendly" offspring, when none of the offspring have competed in the amatuer ring?

I am having the same problems after I wanted to include a free stallion resource page on the north american TB sporthorse site, www.hellohorse.com . It's like walking through a minefield on who to include and who to leave out.

Especially, on top of the comment already made, SOME STALLION OWNERS DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO STAND THEIR HORSES WELL TO HAVE APPROPRIATE PHOTOS TAKEN. (I'm not looking for Barbara Livingston-esque shots people, just come up with acceptable photos.)

Not a rant, I am here to help TBs, but it's like walking through a minefield to pick out the reputable breeders.... anyone have any good ideas on where I should draw the line please let me know, right now no stallions are up.

I think A Fine Romance is a great canidate, as well as Reputed Testimony and maybe Minister General (not sure about temperment but some people on here have foals by him that are just gorgeous).

Also, I've only seen one, but I met a Sato baby who was an *amazing* hunter mover. She was a full TB filly, out of a nice mare, and like I said, I've only seen the one...but she was jaw-dropping, with the temperment to match.
    Last edited by goodmorning; Feb. 12, 2008 at 06:02 PM.

Decisions...decisions! Some good candidates for *investigation* have been given so far - Thank You! I am definitely looking for that *classic* hunter movement (flat-kneed, nice stride). And excellent temperament is a must.

And I agree with what Haywood Jablowme said. The offspring are very important - it gives a sort of *window* into what you can hopefully achieve when breeding a nice mare to any given stallion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood Jablowme View Post

Who has Adam K now? I remember at least one ad from years gone by that was pretty nice.

I have a wonderful mare by Believe It. She has, by far, the most wonderful disposition I've ever seen in a TB. Great hunter movement and athletic, but a pleaser and aware of her rider. My daughter took her to her very first outing this past weekend and, though she was wound like a spring at the excitement, she was VERY well behaved.

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    ...and maybe Deputy Minister (not sure about temperment but some people on here have foals by him that are just gorgeous)...
    I believe that Deputy Minister died a few years ago. He was a great horse, but with a stud fee of around $100,000, he was a bit out of my price range !

Opps! I meant Minister General!

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Opps! I meant Minister General!
    Ah, ha - okay - off to look for his information. Thanks.

Ontario <Living life for the journey not the destination>

Along the lines of the thread about sires that are known for passing on an easygoing “ammy-able” babies, I would love a list of Thoroughbred only sires that meet this criteria?
    Not defending anyone but the thread did ask for babies... In my opinion a stallion can pass on ammy babies... those that are easy to train as youngsters (weaners - two year olds), adapt to new situations well, accept trailering well, leading, showing on the line etc... There are line classes that have ammy hander classes and here are ammy owners who buy young horses too. I have had several ammy buyers that buy young horses from me. I would say I sell to 80% ammy owners and 20% pros. So to me that would mean that the babies I sell are ammy friendly. A not ammy friendly baby would be one who kicks, bolts, spooks at everything, does not want to trailer, just over all a difficult baby.

"Goodmorning" glad you seen a nice offspring of Sato's. I would love to know who it was so if you could PM me that would be appreciated. I have not had much luck tracking down any foals by him from before I purchased him. Thanks...

I do have to agree that there are many people/owners/breeders who do not have enough or some "any" good shots of their stallions. That is something I have always held in high priority and have paid a big chunk of $$$ for pro photos.

And "SM" funny you mention Barbara Livingston. She is coming here soon to photograph a bunch of our horses. Waiting for a nice snow fall to add some "flare" to the photos.
    http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com

Join us on FACEBOOK
    Living life for the journey, not the destination.