The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone know QH/Appy bloodlines?

My Trakaloosahorse gelding has Poco Wiggy and Plaudit on his dam's side. Does anyone have any knowledge of these lines ie temperament, rideability, soundness etc?

Just curious to know where he gets his abilities/attitudes from

I can't get any info on his sire as he was imported and has since passed

Is the sire the TK??? Just curious as to that side too!

I rode a Prince Plaudit son over fences many moons ago. He was fairly sound, had some hock issues, but not sure how much was due to the horse vs early training of the horse. He was also kind of nasty on the ground, but a trip to the 'cowboy" cured him of that (he liked to bite). Over fences he tended to be LAZY (well under saddle he was lazy) but if you got him "up" enough he was pretty decent. Lovely gaits and easy to ride (in terms of the gaits). Very pretty horse too... few spot leopard. I had heard that the Plaudit kids could be kind of nasty tempered (like the biting for example) but don't know for sure. and we did break this guy of it (really don't want to know how it happened. He was downright viscious about it at first, but a month at boot camp (old school too) and he came back a puppy dog and never tried it again. He wasn't my horse, just a horse I rode/showed for a barn.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

The North - frozen mud and now SNOW and COLD

I have a Prince Plaudit bred Appy-Arabian mare that is very aloof but a great performance horse. No temperament issues, she's willing to do just about anything and do it pleasantly. If anything she tries too hard to please by anticipating what you are wanting not precisely what you are asking. Could be the Polish Arabian bloodlines coming through but I've had those lines before with no issue.

She's great over fences too but really excels at distance riding. She's a bit tense about ring showing but I attribute that to her training before I purchased her.

Not familiar with QH lines sorry.

I was excited to see this post as Appy bloodlines is something I know about, but Plaudit is a line I've never researched as I'm not a fan. I've just never like their look very much compared to some of the other lines.

As for temperament, well after owning or ridden about 30 appies in my lifetime, I can say that the majority of their temperaments are stubborn and lazy. However, I've also noticed that once you bond with them and gain their trust they will die for you just trying for you. They are also extremely smart (haven't met a dumb one yet) and can be opinionated, which can make for interesting training experiences when their young. Being the leader and gaining their trust is key to training an appy.

Never had a soundness issue with any of them, very sturdy horses. My appaloosa/hanoverian I currently own is the sturdiest of them all, hooves like diamonds, etc. I rode my first appy up until 6 months before he died, he was 35. My other appy could do a gymkhana during the day and still have plenty of energy for the two hour trail ride home, and be ready to do it all over again the next day. Never a lame step in her life, and we've had her for 12 years (she's about 22 now). My only concern with Appys since they are generally very easy keepers is founder. My appy/hano is only feed grass hay and is fatter than the horses getting mounds of grain each day+alfafa.

So crossed with a Trak, I'd say you should have a horse that will be very athletic with good gaits with the ability to go all day. I've never seen my girl winded even after two hours of work, just a go all day kind of horse. For temperament, some people just cannot stand the stubborness and laziness, but I love it.

Hope you have fun with your boy!

Default Prince Plaudit

I think Prince Plaudit gets his name from Plaudit the TB, and plaudit the QH back in his blood lines... not related to Plaudit the appaloosa.

there is a distinct difference between Plaudit and Prince Plaudit, theya re not related in any way. Plaudit was extremely well bred according to appaloosa foundation lines, being of Bright Eyes Brother and Joker B bloolines not to mention Red Dog, of which I have had many app offspring. They are very hardy, tough horses that excell in a variety of disciplines. If you are speaking of Prince Plaudit he is of a completely different bloodline (although Plaudit TB not the same Plaudit as above, does appear four generations back in his pedigree) and really nothing of note in terms of his bloodlines. he was bred by the great Hank Weiscamp.

We have a Prince Plaudit bred Appy mare. She is lazy and would much prefer not to work but when she meets Mr. Crop she gives in and works and does well at both jumping and polo. She is smart and has learned exactly what is the minimum amount of work required of her to not get whopped by the crop and does not give an ounce more than that! For example, polo. She knows exactly where the end line is. She WILL run on the polo field but not one stride after she crosses the end line after the chukker is over and she is heading back to the trailers she is done and the brakes get thrown on and she shuffles back to the trailer. SHe even knows which one is the game field and which is the practice field.She will run on the game field for my hubby but not on the practice field for her groom when she is being warmed up! SHe is not one to overjump a fence. SHe will put out JUST enough effort to get herself over it.

Quote Originally Posted by acottongim View Post
    Is the sire the TK??? Just curious as to that side too!
    Yep- his name on his papers from Poland was Danger (with a hard G) and as they were in Polish, I don't remember anything else- nor could I interpret it!

His american name was A Different Drummer. I has posted on here about info on him a few months ago- but no one could tell me anything.

Carol Lavell used to event him Prelim, other than that I don't know much about him. He loved to jump and hated dressage. I have tried looking him up online but I can't find anything. He was a plain looking liver chestnut from what I could tell in pictures.

My horse is Mr. Personality- very much in your face, attention whore kind guy He has been sound except for a few abscesses that just blew out.
    He is VERY smart and has been easy to train.

I actually raised him from a weanling and sold him and now I have him back (forever!) and we are rebonding and I will see where he is at ability wise once the dang snow melts

I don't think he is linked to Prince Plaudit, that doesn't sound right.
    Unfortunately when I sold him I gave the new owners copies of copies of his parents papers so I am going from memory.

Here is a pic of him
    http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...horses/011.jpg

The North - frozen mud and now SNOW and COLD

Prince Plaudit the Appaloosa stallion does go back to Plaudit (TB) several times. See his pedigree http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/prince+plaudit

I had a Prince Plaudit granddaughter (through Band Plaudit). Plaudits are generally known for very good conformation (he was a halter champion before the current obese/tiny feet trend) and all-rounder type performance (back in the day that horses were expected to halter and ride under saddle in the same show). My mare had 3 foals - all have clown-type personalities who will do anything for attention and love to have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
    Prince Plaudit the Appaloosa stallion does go back to Plaudit (TB) several times. See his pedigree http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/prince+plaudit
    yes, but he is in no way related to Plaudit the APPALOOSA. There is a Plaudit TB stallion, a Plaudit QH stallion, and a Plaudit Appaloosa stallion. Confusing enough?

Prince Plaudit ApHC is a decedent of Plaudit TB and Plaudit QH.

Plaudit ApHC goes back to Plaudit the TB (1895)

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/plaudit6

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Halt At X View Post
    My Trakaloosahorse gelding has Poco Wiggy and Plaudit on his dam's side. Does anyone have any knowledge of these lines ie temperament, rideability, soundness etc?

Just curious to know where he gets his abilities/attitudes from

QUOTE]
    well Plaudit was a Remount stallion...so useability and soundness were paramount...and Poco Bueno...well...that is Cattle Horse Royality

Tamara in TN

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    yes, but he is in no way related to Plaudit the APPALOOSA. There is a Plaudit TB stallion, a Plaudit QH stallion, and a Plaudit Appaloosa stallion. Confusing enough?

Prince Plaudit ApHC is a decedent of Plaudit TB and Plaudit QH.

Plaudit ApHC goes back to Plaudit the TB (1895)

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/plaudit6
    WEll, yes WAY back there is Plaudit(TB) in both, but other than that there is really no realtionahips between the two (and the LONG way back the Plaudit(TB) appears in prince plaudit's pedigree has little influence. There are MANY MANY horses named Plaudit in many different breeds interestingly enough!