The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which H/J Sires Known for Passing Great Temperament?

I'd love a list!!
    Who are some hunter (or jumper) stallions that are known for passing on easygoing ammy-able babies?

Any Capitol I son is famous for passing on a great temperament and work ethic.
    http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
    CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
    Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

A FINE ROMANCE for sure!!
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Rio Grande
    Chaleon
    Landkoenig
    Acord III
    Just The Best

Palladio.
    Just The Best
    A Fine Romance
    Westporte

PARABOL
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Shine, Cunningham (fillies, especially, are proving very easy to break, and my colt has become an incredibly unflappable gelding)

Default Hmmm.

Hennessey, sire of Zarr. They tend to be outgoing, brave, and friendly.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Balta Czar

Talloaks,
    I love Parabol, but I have heard that you have to take the mare to Hillltop to be bred? Do you know anything about the breeding policy for him?

Oxford. I have a filly by him and she is just a charm to work with.
    Élène

Fighting ovarian cancer ! 2013 huge turnaround as I am winning the battle !..
    http://esergerie.wordpress.com

Definately Ironman.
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

Quote Originally Posted by bellaalexander View Post
    Talloaks,
    I love Parabol, but I have heard that you have to take the mare to Hillltop to be bred? Do you know anything about the breeding policy for him?

I know his semen hasn't been very good the last few years and I have noticed they have him listed as frozen semen. I think he has a live foal guarantee, but you should check with Hilltop first. I have had a couple of Parabol offspring in the past and they are the easiest, sweetest and talented horses to have. He was a Grand Prix Jumper in Germany before Hilltop purchased him and brought him to the US where he did Dressage. Very talented and easy stallion. I'd check with Hilltop about the quality of his frozen semen and if their is the lfg.

Best stallion temperaments I have encountered who are related to this discipline H/J.... the two Lemgo sons who were docile and teddy bearish in busy surroundings... Lansing, First Impression (old style big foundation type stallions).... more recently Shine (modern conformation type hunter stallion)has impressed me on many levels. Many others with very good temperaments but these three I might leave in the hands of a child ringside and not worry too much, and I am sure I can count on one hand the stallions I might consider doing that with.

PS>...I am Hocus Focus... visiting a friend...thus above name.

The nicest, sweetest stallion I've seen at the hunter ring is Cabalito. I have a filly by him that is going to be just like him. I've heard from a couple of others that have youngsters and they've all seemed to get the same mind. Unflappable, kind and willing.
    "We don't ride the clock. We ride the horse." Reiner Klimke.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/arnikaelf

Default Cabalito & Shine

I just bought a 10 month old Cabalito filly who is an absolute doll. I searched out his offspring after hearing how he stamps his get with a great mind. I was shopping for my next ammy horse and after going the OTTB route, I wasn't sure if I was up for that again. I also love, love Shine.
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

We have been SO pleased with the comments received from Mare Owners that have bred their mares to Guaranteed Gold:

Everyone who sees her is fairly smitten with her and I've had a couple people inquire whether she is for sale (she's not). We're really thrilled with how she is turning out and I think that Guaranteed Gold was the absolute best choice we could have made for our mare. If I were focusing on breeding horses instead of ponies, I'd breed every single one of my big mares back to him. I haven't completely ruled out breeding my Oldenburg mare to him at some point... I'll keep you posted.
    and:

I love Cira, she is wonderful! The filly I had before had such an attitude and was so resistant, Cira is the total opposite. It makes me a big believer that a lot of the personality comes from the stallion. She was
    even easy to get in the trailer. She is just so wonderful to work with.

In Aug I am hoping to take her in an in-hand trail class. We have started going on walks every day. She is just so easy to deal with, she is perfect.

I tell anyone who will listen that they should breed to your stallion. I am so happy with Cira, she is perfect.
    And the foals that we have had by him are very user friendly, quick to learn and very accepting of everything around them ... so I can very confidently say that he does consistently pass on a terrific temperament to his foals!

Quote Originally Posted by Seal Harbor View Post
    Palladio.
    Just The Best
    A Fine Romance
    Westporte
    I have a Westporte that is sweet and kind... amazing
    My Zillionair guy is so even keeled
    I would love a Just the Best or AFR baby someday
    Palladio is one to watch... this one's got something special... and what a jump!
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    http://www.bydesignfarm.com
    Check us out on Facebook

The Escapade & the Chaka Kahn kids I have here now are the easiest babies ever. Very ammy friendly.

Please correct me if I am being naive, but aren't most nice hunter stallions notable for good temperament. I mean, how many difficult stallions excel in the hunters?

Or am I confusing temperament with rideability?