The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who are the best Sporthorse Breeders in North America?

In North America who do you feel are some of the best Sporthorse Breeders that are breeding to produce Eventers and/or Show Jumpers?

I am looking for breeders that display quality mare/foal mangagement skills with focus on superior care. Who are some of the proven breeders that have produced top notch competition horses?

Preferably I would like the ones that are using Irish horses. I'm not looking for the breeders that are leaving the horses in fields until they are three, untouched. Would like the ones that are more hands on and thinking about the best interest of the horses from the start.

Default Well You Can't Go Wrong.....

with Denny & May Emmerson at http://www.tamarackhill.com/

Most of the jumper breeding programs are fairly young, although the Cudmores & The Oaks come to mind. The well established / best known farms are primarily dressage - i.e. Hilltop & Iron Spring. Acorn Hill has an Irish sporthorse breeding program. There are many up-and-coming jumpers breeders who have started with an outstanding mare base and just need time for the youngsters to get to the ring - Silver Creek Farms, Crooked Willow, October Hill, Hans DeGroot, Winley, etc.

You may find difference in opinion about letting young horses grow up on pasture versus being stalled and being handled daily versus being handled routinely. The smaller breeders with 1 to 2 foals per year are more likely to have foals raised with stall/turn-out and handled daily, but that is not always the case.

We foal out in the barn, but the foals live out 24/7 once they are 3 weeks old. They receive routine care (farrier, vaccinations, worming, etc.) and are fed twice a day to supplement the pasture. We strongly believe that pasture raised foals are healthier and have less problems with joints, upper respiratory, ulcers, etc. We have also found that an overhandled foal is more difficult in the long run. The winter of their 2 year old year, they receive 90 days training (mostly ground work) and then go back to pasture for 6 months. The summer of their 3 year old, they come live in the barn and go into training.

Thanks, Soo Coo, for your kind endorsement, but I am a stallion owner more than a breeder.
    Breeders are those intrepid souls who pick the mares, select the stallions, and take the huge risks, months, actually years at a time, to produce the young horses.
    We`ve bred a few, over the years, but not as an enterprise, more just for our own use.
    Stallion owners are a resource for breeders, is how I would put it.

Don't listen to Denny.....two of them have already responded to you!! Don't leave Edgar out of the mix either. Rainbow Equus Meadows

Denny I noticed some of the Ferme Beaulieu infusion in your lines!! AWESOME
    I dream of the Pumuckl backend although I don't know if I could ride it!! HA HA
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

I second Edgar he is great. Also, Windsor Farm is producing some amazing show jumpers. As well as Hidden Pearl farm.

It is easiest for me to think of a top horse - and then backtrack.

"Jam" - Bruce Davidson (Sr) has some nice homebreds.

"Three wishes" - Acornhill farm - stallion owner/breeder in VA. They are a sponsor of the YEH series. I think they have Irish bloodlines as well as some Hanoverian lines.

"Le Samurai" - Wendy Webster - Holsteiner breeder in CA. She also imported "Lady Calido".
    www.clearbluefarm.com - a work in progress

You will find most of the BWP stallions are primarly (not all, must most) jumpers. If I were looking for a jumper, Id start here with these two registires.

http://www.belgianwarmblood.com/stallions.htm

http://www.sellefrancais.org/stallionpage.htm

And start looking up the farms/breeders that are listed on those sites. Those two registries offer some of the top/proven jumper blood in North America (most of those bloodlines proven international as well).

Also look here and double back to some of the farms the horses are associated with or bred by-
    http://www.youngjumpers.com/

Good luck! There are some super blood out there now. SUPER! Just in the last two years the stallion base in North America and the breeding base alone has doubled. More quality mares are being used now and the stallions being used in breeding programs (fresh and frozen) are super. Look around, Im sure you can find something very nice.

www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Default Sporthorse Breeders

showjumper66-

Agree with you 100%, perhaps I need to rephrase what I said earlier. I DO think it is better that the youngsters live out as long as their health is being taken care of. Making sure they are being fed their supplements and looked after in the fields. I have had some experience with breeders cutting corners on good nutrition for babies and many different types of things show up in the future when that is done. Just want to make sure we are talking about the top-notch breeders here!

Thank you for all your responses! Keep them coming.....

Thanks, Soo Coo, for your kind endorsement, but I am a stallion owner more than a breeder.
    Breeders are those intrepid souls who pick the mares, select the stallions, and take the huge risks, months, actually years at a time, to produce the young horses.
    We`ve bred a few, over the years, but not as an enterprise, more just for our own use.
    Stallion owners are a resource for breeders, is how I would put it.
    Opps, sorry Denny! Its just that getting anything from YOU is a dream of mine!! I'm hoping for the day I can breed my little Connemara TB cross to Formula One and one day attending one of your clinics!!

Ahhh ...

Hidden Creek is another. ClearBlue might have the right idea to work backwards!

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    showjumper66-

Agree with you 100%, perhaps I need to rephrase what I said earlier. I DO think it is better that the youngsters live out as long as their health is being taken care of. Making sure they are being fed their supplements and looked after in the fields. I have had some experience with breeders cutting corners on good nutrition for babies and many different types of things show up in the future when that is done. Just want to make sure we are talking about the top-notch breeders here!

Thank you for all your responses! Keep them coming.....

That is why I love being a mare owner....the ability to work backwards is SOO much fun.

The day might come when I am physically FORCED to stand a stallion but I much prefer the fun of the selection process for my mares. Now I have 2 more young ones coming along!! WHOOOOOO

All you stallion owners will just LOVE me!
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

I think Bannockburn Farm is one of the best sporthorse breeding programs in the US. Allyn and Fletcher use fantastic bloodlines to produce performers. In 2007, Bannockburn Farm bred horses did the following:

Ali Baba B, USDF HORSE OF THE YEAR at 2nd level in 2007 as well as winning both VINTAGE CUPS for his owner and trainer at both 1st and 2nd level.

Dante B (showing as Dorv'dor) was the champion for best performance at the Midwest final of the INTERNATIONAL JUMPING FUTURITY.

Centurion B was the second place winner of the YJC 5YO Midwestern League Finals in 2007.

Cinnamon B placed in both the Training Level Southwest Dressage Championships and the Region 9/Great American Championships with scores of 67%.

The USEF webiste lists the leading breeders for each discipline each year. from 2007 Eventers http://www.usef.org/documents/points/Eventing.pdf and Jumpers http://www.usef.org/documents/points/Jumper.pdf

As you can see, many KWPN breeders in the Jumper rankings, ISF is #6 even thoough some people think of them as primarily a dressage breeder (they are #4 in the dssage breeder ranking for 2007). The KWPN is the #1 Jumper studbok in the world

W. Charlot Farms up here in Canada is definately one of the number one places in North America. Thier stallions include the late Rio Grande, Cabardino (hunter), Viva Voltaire, Vasco Da Gama, and Futurist. They've been the 2004 , 2005, 2006 & 2007 Leading Breeder of Hunters (USEF).

Rio's Ramona (aka "Catwalk" - Winner of a $70,000 WC Qualifier and a $100,000 WC Qualifier) was bred by them and is currently doing very well in Grand Prix
    They also bred Mill Creek Sparky, an international jumper and they bred dozens of up and coming horses who have been doing well in the Ontario Young Horse Development Series.

There's a lot more information on thier website
    http://www.charlotfarm.com/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Clear Blue View Post
    It is easiest for me to think of a top horse - and then backtrack.

"Jam" - Bruce Davidson (Sr) has some nice homebreds.

Coolest mare EVER!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it"

Quote Originally Posted by Renae View Post
    The USEF webiste lists the leading breeders for each discipline each year. from 2007 Eventers http://www.usef.org/documents/points/Eventing.pdf and Jumpers http://www.usef.org/documents/points/Jumper.pdf

As you can see, many KWPN breeders in the Jumper rankings, ISF is #6 even thoough some people think of them as primarily a dressage breeder (they are #4 in the dssage breeder ranking for 2007). The KWPN is the #1 Jumper studbok in the world
    While I have no comment about the USEF jumper rankings, the USEF Eventing rankings are useless. Horses that are ranked in the top 20 in the USEA (and pretty high in the world FEI rankings), are way down on the USEF rankings. Horses that have wins at Training and Preliminary level are ranked higher than horses who have second places at Advanced and CIC3*'s.

Quote Originally Posted by Clear Blue View Post
    While I have no comment about the USEF jumper rankings, the USEF Eventing rankings are useless. Horses that are ranked in the top 20 in the USEA (and pretty high in the world FEI rankings), are way down on the USEF rankings. Horses that have wins at Training and Preliminary level are ranked higher than horses who have second places at Advanced and CIC3*'s.
    USEF's sire list doesn't rank individual current performers. So I'm not sure I understand your post.

It does rank stallions by assigning points to wins, placings at all levels.
    While it isn't the best tool, it is useful if you want to find a stallion that has multiple offspring doing well at all levels.
    Perhaps you are objecting to the points given for low level wins, placings?

Okanagan Show Jumpng Stables is a large breeding farm in British Columbia. They represent Studbook Zangersheide and breed horses with some of the best bloodlines in North America. The website address is www.okshowjumping.com

Quote Originally Posted by PineTreeFarm View Post
    USEF's sire list doesn't rank individual current performers. So I'm not sure I understand your post.

It does rank stallions by assigning points to wins, placings at all levels.
    While it isn't the best tool, it is useful if you want to find a stallion that has multiple offspring doing well at all levels.
    Perhaps you are objecting to the points given for low level wins, placings?
    An indvidual horse's points are attributed to its breeder. When a horse is 20th on the USEA list, 20th on the FEI list for US bred horses - and then 48th for the USEF list - the breeder is also ranked 48th on the USEF list.