The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yes, but if your cat infects a feral cat, and then that feral cat has a wide roaming range, it could infect other feral cats that roam as well and then infect someones cat who is a indoor/outdoor cat and then someone who is a responsible pet owner, looses their cat all because you couldn't keep a infected cat in your house!!! that is really not very nice!!!! you don't care about feral cats but you aren't looking at the big picture

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Without getting into the issue of letting a FeLeuk positive cat out- let your local small animal vet know that you are willing to take a FeLeuk positive kitten that would otherwise be euthanized.
    Uh this is a crazy statement! Shame on a vet if he agrees with her that its ok to let a FELV+ cat outside to infect others! Many people own indoor outdoor cats so you are putting all those other cats at risk of getting infected.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Hippotamus View Post
    I have a healthy FeLV positive cat. We would like another kitten. They always say to test kittens so what happens to the ones that test positive? I'll take one!
    I don't like long hair cats and I want a male.

I have tried a rescue and they said no to me because I let my cats outside. I guess I could have lied but I am not that kind of person. I live on 10 acres away from neighbors and the road. I will not spend my life yelling at the kids to keep the door closed and don't let the cat out. I garden alot and the cats help me in garden - that is where the catnip is too.

I don't want to go too far maybe in Bucks/Montgomery county PA? Or just over the river in NJ. I know it is not kitten season yet but just keep me in mind.

Thanks.

you know the cat may have a food life with you indoors but to let that same infected cat out isnt right- cats cannot be domesticated in the true form as they are cats and there territory is bigger than your ten acres -- let me say this as your cat is female then every tom dick or harry will come to her calls from as far and wide as you might not think so all your neighbours cats thats arnt done could then be infected-- its not the female that roams its the tom that roam to the queen--------- so by letting your cat out you may think you are being responsible but in truth you arnt-- so be responsible if you wish to keep the cat then indoor cat it will have to be as for putting it with another kitten then you will have 2 cats infected
    and more toms will leave a calling card

Umm, stink ...My cat is a neutered male. He lives with a spayed female and they want absolutely nothing to do with each other.

If he was an outside cat like a barn cat would everyone say I should euthanize him? He does have the job outside of keeping the bunnies and voles out of my garden. Too bad he's not big enough to get the deer.

For general info: my cat was vaccinated for the feline leukemia, I guess it helped him survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Hippotamus View Post
    If he was an outside cat like a barn cat would everyone say I should euthanize him?
    No, In that case I would recommend that you teach him live as a house cat - inside only!
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

As an aside, do you know how many people never even bother testing for Feluk - let alone vaccinate for it - when they are made fully aware of the consequences? Do you know how many cats actually have it? Do you know how many people don't think their cats would ever get it - only to find out when its 13 and not feeling well, that yes, it does have Feluk?

Having worked in a vets office for a while, if it's a sick cat - it has Feluk. If its an old cat - it probably has Feluk. I really, really wish people would vaccinate/test their animals properly. We work with several shelters and most do not put down their Feluk kittens - unless they are sick. I really feel that unless you do the proper course of vaccinations, that if your cat goes outdoors, it will contract Feluk. But, we have plenty of cats with feluk that live until they are very old.

Anyways, good for you taking an unwanted cat. I wish it would stay indoors, but at this point in time, Im just not sure it makes any difference

(OK - touchy subject, love kitties and dislike owners who wont shell over the extra 35 to vaccinate their kitty!)

I have a FIV positive cat (less easy to transmit) and I would NEVER let him outside. He got FIV as a stray fighting with other strays, and if he fought now he could pass the virus. Plus he can get sick much easier.

Not carrying if a feral or stray cat catches and passes a virus is not caring about animals in general! Just because it doesn't have a home doesn't mean it deserves to suffer and die.

sorry can't resist

enjoytheride - are you a vegetarian?

Sorry, I don't know how what I eat for dinner relates to how I care for my pets.

Default here is how it applies to dinner

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Not carrying if a feral or stray cat catches and passes a virus is not caring about animals in general! Just because it doesn't have a home doesn't mean it deserves to suffer and die.
    How about if I reword this as:
    Not caring if an animal stands in a manure filled feed lot for its short, hormone-injected life is not caring for animals in general! Just because it has a home doesn't mean it deserves to suffer and die so you can eat it.

Whatever, congrats on winning the game of "taking people's words and twisting them around to make them sound really mean and serve your purposes."

If you want to twist around your posts you seem to be on a one woman crusade to rid the world of feral cats by letting your FeLV cat run amok to infect them so they get sick, suffer horribly, and die.

I really didn't want to get into an arguement. But it is not true that I don't care about animals which is what you said. You know nothing about me, how can you say that? I may be making a bad choice and you can tell me that, as many people did. I do happen to think it is extremely hypocritical to say that I don't care about animals when you are the one who eats them. I thought I put that very gracefully (and humorously) in my first reply. You forced me to spell it out.

Default Please email me

Hey there,

I have contact info with someone that has a positive kitten..

Thanks,
    Stephanie
    sundownfarmva@aol.com
    Stephanie Smith
    www.SundownFarmVA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Savoy 8 View Post
    Yes, but if your cat infects a feral cat, and then that feral cat has a wide roaming range, it could infect other feral cats that roam as well and then infect someones cat who is a indoor/outdoor cat and then someone who is a responsible pet owner, looses their cat all because you couldn't keep a infected cat in your house!!! that is really not very nice!!!! you don't care about feral cats but you aren't looking at the big picture
    I agree. This is a sick thread -- I cannot BELIEVE that someone actually thinks it's o.k. to let a positive cat outside!

I have always had indoor cats and they are happy as can be. Cats do not require a huge territory -- they require companionship, things to climb, warm places to nap, and love, all of which can easily be provided inside the house. And there should be no question whatsoever that this is where FeLV or FIV positive cats belong!