The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OK, so nobody told me...

that after the first of the year, when your horse is fit; when you finally have a clue as to what is going on; when you can sleep the night before a hunt because you aren't so nervous; when your every waking hour is spent thinking about the next hunt; when you count the days until it's Sunday again...

that the weather turns rotten and the hunt is canceled! When they say that February is the cruelest month, I now know why. Sigh.

We had 6" of snow on Thursday night/Friday morning, some did melt today. But plenty is still there, and it should freeze again tonight. The Master canceled due to bad footing, which makes sense.

But I'm not going hunting tomorrow! WHHAAAAAAA! My neighbor is having a scrapbooking party, so I'll head over there to work on my hunt journal/scrapbook. At least I can drool over my pictures, and re-read my hunt reports.

If anyone gets to hunt tomorrow, please think of me! And know that I am jealous beyond belief!
    Barbara www.customstockties.com
    Tulsa-QH; Schnickelfritz-Holsteiner; Atikus-Danish Warmblood; Buddy-QH/TB; Winston-Shire; Thomas-Percheron/TB; Mac-Belgian Draft, gone but never forgotten

Default I took beagles out today

In the same 6" of snow you had.

Took one of my barefoot horses so the snow wouldn't ball up.

This was after I had already skied 4.5 miles on my X country skis with the goats behind.

I'm working on teaching the goats to pull me. Might take a while.

Anyway, I took four couple out of beagles. They spoke once down by the creek. I didn't see much but deer tracks around but they were steady and we had a great time.

My usual whips weren't up for it though. The beagles were fine without whips. I took my horn and had to use it a few times to keep them on track.

My young horse is so tolerant of the beagles she probably won't bat an eye when I take her out foxhunting for the first time.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

I'm in the opposite situation. It's a windy 70* outside and I'm stuck in my apartment because of medical reasons (when one goes away, another one appears). I haven't been able to ride in a month and am going crazy! Having pictures of my boys everywhere isn't helping me any! I want to be with them not just look at pictures! Not to mention all the other drama going on in my life

Soon I'll be able to ride a pretty pony! And then I can steal my boys back from my Daddy (prison-keeper and master pony spoiler) and give them love!

Aw, what bad luck for you but the scrapbooking will be neat w/ all your hunting stuff.

That storm missed us and we were able to hunt today w/ very moderate temps for Feb. 2. Plus, no wind! Surprisingly the field was small for excellent roads & weather, I think I heard 15 total. After the first hour the ground thawed enough to make footing okay if you used common sense and understood that even with that, an accident was possible and one horse did go down in slick clay. There were no coyote to stir up but the hounds were out 4 hours. I lasted 3.5 hours and enjoyed every minute of it albeit a bit tired since I haven't been out for a couple weeks.

Default This is what my day looked like

Unfortunately the snow was melting fast. Tommorrow will just be Beagles and horses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goatski.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	19890  
    -Painted Wings

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Wings View Post
    Unfortunately the snow was melting fast. Tommorrow will just be Beagles and horses.
    I miss having goats! We raised Saanens for a few years.

In the photo it looks like the goats have taken you out for a walk.

That's actually my friend. I took the photo. When I walk out the hounds on foot the goats act as whips. They go at 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock behind me and make sure no beagles stop or wander off. Then I can look forward and watch the ones in front of me. It also has pretty much served to deer proof the hounds.

When I take the hounds out on horseback the goats don't bother to come, I guess they know it's too much work to keep up for them.

Goats are the best pets.
    -Painted Wings

What cute goats!!!! No farm is complete without some pet goats. My vet suggested I drive mine to get some weight off them. I've yet to convince Mr JSwan this is a good idea.

Barb - around here we having a saying: "Hunt as much as you can before Christmas; it gets spotty after that. " Not true for every hunt - but ours has a lot of bottomland so often we cancel because it's just too wet; but other hunts still go out.

I too have a fit horse and no place to go - but instead of scrapbooking I crochet. My house is going to be full of little old lady doilies if I'm not careful.

Before I drove mini's we had this....http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...52639572bmmJSd He did the county fair parade and was a hit!! The Jack Russell riding shotgun thought she was hot stuff having a vantage point that high.

Talking I'm smitten!

I, too, am smitten with the goat pictures! I have a mental picture of JSwan mounted on a horse driving her goats around the pasture with Kevin Bacon the pig following along......OR JSwan with a long staff and a beagle helping herding the goats around the pasture......you know shepherd like!?? Horses running around all wound up, bucking, etc. Please be sure to call me so I can come watch!! GOTTA be there! Maybe we could make it a COTH function! I'll bring popcorn! Cool!

Herding goats - like herding cats!??? Driving goats - like driving goats?!!
    OR...you could rent them out to local hunts to deerproof their hounds! That'd be some exercise!!

SLW, your picture won't load! I wanna see!

PW, I LOVE your goats. How adorable. We have an ancient pygmy, Iris, and I just can't even imagine harnessing her. I might as well try to harness the wind. She's as wild as it gets when it comes time to medicate or do something with her that SHE doesn't choose to do. My vet has to rope her to give her the Goat Wasting Disease shot each year; I think he looks forward to it! LOL.

Then she got so fat that we figured Goat Wasting Disease might be a good thing. She used to go on walks with us when we rode the horses around here, but now she stays back at the barn. She's quite amusing and funny, and between her (she's about 9) and or 26 y/o mini, I feel like I'm running a geriatric home at times!

I can't really say I'm surprised we canceled, and it's best that I don't trailer 110 miles in this. The main roads are clear, and we had a ton of melting yesterday, but it got down to 14 last night so everything is frozen hard again. It's quite icy and slippery underneath the snow, and the icy ruts are pretty bad. It's just not worth it to have a horse slip and fall. Snow isn't a problem since Buddy is barefoot, but it's that ice that would be the problem.

Sigh. Maybe next weekend?!?!?!?! Watch us get warm temps and rain all week, so that next Sunday we are hock deep in mud.
    Tulsa-QH; Schnickelfritz-Holsteiner; Atikus-Danish Warmblood; Buddy-QH/TB; Winston-Shire; Thomas-Percheron/TB; Mac-Belgian Draft, gone but never forgotten

GTD, all I'm finding is the report from 1/31. Maybe the link didn't update yet?

WOW! What a hunt! Now I really AM jealous...

*Sigh* We had ice. I hate ice. I hate the wind that comes with the ice and more than ever I hate that I don't get to hunt when there is ice. My hunting escapades are slim anyways because I don't belong to a hunt, but the boss takes me when she can, but this ice thing really did not please me, nor her, nor the horses. I don't think our goose liked the ice either. I certainly did not like driving the tractor and spreader in the ice/sleet. I am not very good at back the spreader into its narrow parking space either so I got soaked and cold to the bone. Of course I tried to go faster. Never go fast with a 1950's tractor and a manure spreader, it only takes longer. Moral of story: I hate ice.

"I already know my horses can't ice skate, lets not prove it!" - My dear boss

Default I bet nobody told you the corollary, either!

Which is...

That after a few weeks of being snowed and iced in, when everybody has cabin fever, and the huntsman finally can't stand it anymore and says 'come on, everybody, we're taking the hounds out for a bit of exercise- we won't go faster than a trot, and it's too cold for good scenting anyway...'

That's when you can bet the ranch that hounds will find in the first 10 minutes and be off, screaming, for hours...and that trot turns into as fast a canter as one dares, even w/snow pads and borium...and you learn that yes, it IS possible to take off and land over a coop with blue ice on either side, and live to tell about it...and jumping said coop is pretty much your only option, 'cause the nearby gate is frozen and snow drifted shut.

Whyizzit they say foxhunters are crazy?