The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 16.2 Thoroughbred Gelding Placed

Young off the track gelding, JC name New Cadet by Private Terms. Located near Mountaineer Racetrack. 16.2 H, eager to please, easy to gallop, sweet guy no vices. He has a chip in an ankle with a hairline fracture. Vet said chip needs to be removed, hairline fracture will heal. His owner told trainer to have him shipped to auction, trainer would not but she does not have the money to have him operated on, he is a very handsome well put together youngster. Anyone have any ideas where he could go to live, where he could get the surgery and recovery time?
    Last edited by Calamber; Feb. 23, 2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: clarification
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

we have a gorgeous Private terms eventer who is a careful catty jumper, awesome mover and good at dressage. This is a very talented bloodline! Also, Cadet's dam is by Nepal, who sired some very nice, and nice-minded, sport and race horses. Whoever gets this guy hould geta really nice horse!

Any pictures???????

Default New Cadet

No pictures yet. I will send an update when I get the pics. Thanks everyone, for the info on his breeding and the inquiries.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Sent you a PM.

See if she can contact the TB Rescues

There are so many just use Google and type Thoroughbred Adoption
    Make a bunch of calls and see if a rescoe could take him. If he doesn't need surgery right away than maybe the next owner could. Try:
    http://www.exracers.com/tb_links.htm

http://www.rerun.org/ and http://www.thoroughbredadoption.com/...nPrograms.aspx and
    http://www.tranquilityfarmtbs.org/

I wonder how much that type of surgery costs

I do hope he gets a home

All of the rescues are full. I am very aware of the plight of the horses, 12 TB horses went to the kill buyer at New Holland today. I am trying not to drain the reserves of the rescues since they usually get horses who are going directly to slaughter or in danger thereof. I was hoping to find a private individual who could help. Surgery could run anywhere from $1000 to $1500.

Thanks though.

John F Kennedy

Perhaps contact one of the local vet schools, they will usually do a surgery for little to no $$ if you agree to let the students do the surgery. Then it would just be finding someone to take him with layup and rehab needed, which I would think would be much easier!
    I give the truth scope!

The horse is near Mountaineer, no vet schools near there, and I am looking for a home offer for him for rehab, she cannot afford to keep the horse. I also do not know of any vet schools that do the surgery for a lesser fee. Blacksburg is the same cost that I quoted. But the main issue on the table is to find the horse another home. Not just pass him off on a rescue to absorb the cost, maybe someone who has the contacts to get him a reduced charge for the surgery but he needs to get the rehab time with someone who can afford both the time and the care. I have contacted ReRun, no reply yet, I have also contacted the USERL, they are full and cannot take anymore right now.
    Last edited by Calamber; Feb. 5, 2008 at 12:08 PM.

John F Kennedy

Calamber,
    The situation that might fit this horse is the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation. The boys school in Baltimore takes injured TB's and rehabs them in a program for helping the boys learn how to care for horses and learn how to work. It's awesome. I took a horse there two years ago. They had it operated on in Va. at Morven Park and rehabbed it there. Call them on the phone, the number is on line. This is the kind of horse they take on. Exc. bunch of people.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Default New Cadet

I just checked on the TRF last year. They need $2000 to take a horse up front. There are so many offered to them that they cannot afford to take them without a donation now.

Thanks

John F Kennedy

Shameless bump for a nice guy.

John F Kennedy

Actually I was going to suggest the same thing as I have been thinking about this guy since last week, but I just am not able to take in any horses right now. It wouldn't be fair to my own.

I donate to them from time to time and wanted to be sure so I just emailed one of TRF's executive directors last night and got an email back this mornings saying that that is not true....
    I also mentioned this horse to her and she did say that he would not be considered in desperate need as he has someone who cares about him and is trying to find him a home, they do give priority to horses who are being sent to slaughter and have no other immediate options.
    Now I do know that IF the person donating the horse to them has financial means (well off owners and trainers) they do "suggest" an annual donation to help support the horse but they do not require it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    I just checked on the TRF last year. They need $2000 to take a horse up front. There are so many offered to them that they cannot afford to take them without a donation now.

Thanks
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

That is news to me, last I tried a year or so ago they were very adamant about it, papers had to accompany the horse, race record and they required a donation. Glad to know that is not true now. He is not in danger of slaughter but the owner cannot afford to take care of him, stinks that the good people are put in this kind of position. Thank you for checking.
    Last edited by Calamber; Feb. 8, 2008 at 11:46 AM.

John F Kennedy

Default I Love Thoroughbreds

Can you give me as much information on him as possible? Tell me more about his general attitude, is he easy to hop on and hack, is he pretty? Is he at least a decent mover? I will then pass the word among my friends and see if I can help you. I would personally take him, but I have one to give away and another to sell right now. If push comes to shove, I do have an empty stall (don't let my husband know I said that). All the TBs here are incredibly spoiled.

Default New Cadet

This horse has done absolutely nothing wrong and per his exercise rider he just wants to please. So, in answer to your question, since he is sore and he still acts like a good boy, you can infer he has a pleasant disposition but I have no idea how he is to hack since he has not been hacked. He has been exercised on a race track and that is all I know. I would not just "jump" on a horse just off the track and expect to go out for a hack in any case. I would certainly like to see this horse live up to his potential since he is so obviously a sweetheart.

John F Kennedy

Question about specifics: is the hairline fracture separate from the chip issue? Any idea of the vet prognosis for future work?

Default New Cadet

I don't know what you mean, the hairline fracture is not a chip, two different issues. Whether the chip caused the hairline I do not know. The horse is a very good surgical candidate and all that I know, since this is not my horse, is that the vet said if he had surgery he could go back to racing after a suitable recovery time. Trainer does not want him to go back to racing.

John F Kennedy

Default New Cadet

I received a call from this trainer and he is in danger of going to auction as she has broken her ankle and cannot work. I am going to email the TRF and see what they say. But if anyone could help that would be great.
    Last edited by Calamber; Feb. 17, 2008 at 10:03 AM.

John F Kennedy

He is beautiful! I make it up to Cincinnati occasionally. I might be able to transport him south! This web site has pictures of him.

http://www.geocities.com/daracingsta...wcadetbio.html