The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default 101 ways to get eliminated

So, I'm going to do a presentation...... 101 ways to get eliminated... so share your way....
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

Or at your first Novice jump Training fence #3, which is really no where near your fence #3.

I've seen this one a few times: carrying your whip into the dressage arena at championships.
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

My only E was when I could not keep all 4 of pony's feet in the dressage ring
    I came damn close the day I entered the stadium ring without my armband on- thank goodness for the very nice stadium judge who whistled before I crossed the start line (which would have meant elimination), scolded me and let me go get it and ride a little late. phew!
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Your Thelwell-pony-in-a-TB-suit neatly exits the dressage arena as you trot past "A"...

A couple of my E experiences:

- Not having rein stops on with your martingale (and thereby being told you're being eliminated just as you walk out of the ring with a beautiful, double clear stadium round which would have ended you in 3rd place).

- Being a complete moron and jumping Training jump #3 while doing a Novice course. Thankfully I jumped both Novice and Training (as the jumps were not next to each other). That part didn't get me eliminated. What did get me bounced was later in that same course completely blowing by one of my Novice fences. Was just not my day....

Jumping the first jump on stadium before the judge whistles you to go. I was very nervous!
    Some Fear, 'cause if you got No Fear, you ain't going fast enough!
    N3D or T3D someday, dammit!
    Member of the Geezer Event Horse Team (1981-2011)

Closest I've come is a red-headed TB temper tantrum in the dressage ring that concerned the judge.

I've seen people eliminated for carrying a whip in a championship, missing a jump on x-c, "showing" the horse the jump in stadium after it refused (smacking standing horse with crop as it faced the fence in question), illegal-sized crop in dressage or stadium, no rein stops with running martingale.

I bet you'll get a lot more than 101 ways!
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Oh lordy I have figured out some imaginative ways.....

1) Go in dressage and forget to take off boots/polos
    2) Not have spurs on for your intermediate dressage test (sure judge make me wear spurs on the hot chestnut TB mare that has never had spurs on in her life!)
    3) Going off course in show jumping (ala Kristin Backman, that still hurts)
    4) Horse trips in the middle of show jumping and flips while cantering on the flat in between fences
    5) No medical armband
    6) No number on your horse at an FEI event

Ok I'll stop now....but if you need more let me know.

Default and here I thought it would be HARD to get that many

.... keep 'em coming guys!!!!!

I am thinking I need a powerpoint presentation of this....

Hollyn
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

I somehow managed to get eliminated TWO YEARS in a ROW at the same event - held at my HOME BARN... so here's my 'key learnings' on how to get eliminated...

1. Gallop through the water jump... without managing to go through the flags. (the WHOLE DAMN ENTRANCE was pretty much flagged, and I still managed to do this one).
    2. Have your horse go lame during dressage.

The most recent one I learned here on COTH: wear a ratcatcher collar when coats are waived.
    "This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down" - Mary Pickford

Have a bunch of "helpful" spectators scream at you, "Don't forget the finish flags!!!"

Unauthorized Assistance (I wasn't forgetting the flags either......grrrrrr).

Not going through the finish flags.

Not waiting for the bell before starting your stadium course.

Going through the start flags while waiting for the stadium bell to ring.

Jumping INTO the dressage ring before the bell is rung (the judge took pity on me and did not eliminate me but could have)

Very first schooling event: jump the warm up fence backwards.

Oh, sure, you people can all talk about missing a XC fence -- those things are out in the countryside, with acres of land. ANYONE could get lost out there.

I, on the other hand, managed to miss a SJ fence
    Jumped 6ab, made a (very nice, if I say so myself) rollback turn to 8, carried on over the rest of the course...only to see my coach standing at the in-gate looking p.o'ed..."what about fence 7?" he said.

Fence 7?

I looked back...oh, that wee dirt colored one, way over in the corner...
    turned to my coach...
    "I didn't even GO over there!!!"
    oops.

For years, long after I had left that coach, he would see me at events and yell "what about fence 7?"
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    Oh, sure, you people can all talk about missing a XC fence -- those things are out in the countryside, with acres of land. ANYONE could get lost out there.

I, on the other hand, managed to miss a SJ fence
    Jumped 6ab, made a (very nice, if I say so myself) rollback turn to 8, carried on over the rest of the course...only to see my coach standing at the in-gate looking p.o'ed..."what about fence 7?" he said.

Fence 7?

I looked back...oh, that wee dirt colored one, way over in the corner...
    turned to my coach...
    "I didn't even GO over there!!!"
    oops.

For years, long after I had left that coach, he would see me at events and yell "what about fence 7?"
    I've done that one before (a few too many times... )

I think I need some sort of GPS...
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Crushing the dressage ring on your first canter circle (subsequently ending up with all 4 hooves outside of the arena).

Or better yet, jump an rolltop oxer backwards in Stadium. Let's just say my gelding's steering wasn't installed to well at the time and I tried to cut on the inside of the jump and he ended up drifting into the jump and jumped over it. sigh..........

Bobbi

So happy about getting through a nasty combo, forget last st fence and run right out of the arena.
    Crop on xc has to be 24" long (I think. Janet!) and I was grooming for someone at a *. Her handle slipped out a little and it was a 1/4" too long. GJ took a measurement AFTER x-c and eliminated her. Even though she didn't use it at all. And she was up there in placing. Yep, this person on the GJ was that much of a b***h.
    A person at the T3DE got too many time penalties on phase C! Didn't realize there was a time limit
    Do you ever have that fear that you don't make your dr test on time and get the big E before you even start?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Not going through the finish flags.
    I've also seen people get eliminated for missing "mandatory flags" on course...

Completely missing a fence in stadium. In my defense, it was pouring and I'd fallen off in the middle of the triple. Somehow after I oozed back on and rejumped the triple I smoothly bypassed the next jump.