The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mini Percherons (Additional pics 2/1/08)

Today was the day. Time to see what we have for ponies. We brought Ty and Hector in and brushed them and gave them an oat of two. They are ponies so only enough to think they got a treat. Each was line driven around the drive way a little single to see how they did. Both were great. Ty's previous owner has done lost of ground work with him. Hector we did the ground work so it was just a warm up. Both ponies were great single so we hooked them together and tried our luck. Here is the evidence that of what we did. I need to take the bridles in and have some work done to make them fit a little better. But all in all it wasn't a bad first drive. LF

http://www.drafthorsevillage.com/php...php?pic_id=425
    http://www.drafthorsevillage.com/php...php?pic_id=426
    Last edited by LostFarmer; Feb. 4, 2008 at 09:57 PM.

Oh how cute! But all of that white stuff has me shivering! <brrrr> So what's the game plan for these little ones? Will they do chores just like your pinto pair or are they for LF Jr?
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Soooo cute! Soooooo cold! Where are your earmuffs????

Until I saw the pix, I was thinking you must have had an early warm day
    I promise not to complain any more about the cold here in the south.
    Gosh are they cute.

These are for the kids. My sons are interested and both want to drive so both need a team. These just kind of happened. I didn't go looking for a pony it found me. They will be good with a little time. LF

What lucky kids.
    It's great so see not all kids are being raised in front of TV or computers these days (as I sit in front of my computer)

Default Please post more pictures of this pair

Could you please post more pics of this pair. I am trying to talk my husband into getting some. I need more evidence of cuteness.

Yay LF! They look great. It must be warmer there than it is here! At 1 degree it's too cold to snow!

They are beefy section A Welsh ponies. At least the Ty the darker one is. The lighter gray Hector is a mutt pony of Welsh breeding. Ty is extremely dominant in the pasture so Hector seems reluctant to get up even with him. I have had to make it clear that when I am present I am the Alpha. When they are in the pasture it is non of my concern and they can work out the turf wars. In harness and in the barn there is to be no posturing.

My other team had the same problem. Now the mare love the fact that she is equal in harness. In the pasture the gelding give her ugly faces and she moves. In the barn he gives ugly faces and she gives them back. It has been interesting to see the social issues resolve themselves. All my animals know that I am Alpha and not to forget it in my presents. Well all but the cat.

LF

http://drafthorsevillage.com/phpBB2/...php?pic_id=422

Here is a picture of Ty by himself. This was actually the picture I bought him from. He was pricey and Hector even more so. Maybe I can write a book. Tales of the $650 team. LF

LF--- lets do a little math here!

You have a team of pinto ponies and a team of "mini-percherons". You have 2 LC. Have you lost your team of pinto ponies to one of the LC? Or is there another team being readied that you haven;t told us about yet?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Actually... Yes there is another team getting ready. I don't know exact details but my grandfather that raised Shires recently passed away. He had lived a long and good life so there is really no need to cry. My aunts and uncles want me to have a team of the best and the flashiest team I can put together from grandpa's horses. I am hoping for a couple of pretty nice mares that I can bring along to me my team. The disadvantage is now I need 3 different sets of harness, carts, wagons... Is there an end?

Wow! Good for you To answer your question - NO! At least that's what I'm finding out. But you've got to spend your money somehow so why not enjoy it I know I sure do enjoy my horses/ponies - wouldn't be half-sane without them.... and life certainly wouldn't be nearly as much fun!

Of course we'll need to see pictures as soon as you decide on your NEW pair
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Default hmm

Sires are pretty cool. WHOLE LOTTA HORSE. We have a shire X TB that shows a lot of shire. Really nice horse but as you say that harness and vehicle thing gets in the way. Nothing I have is of any use for her :-( Also I have come to like the multiples so much and I have nothing to pair her with. She has been out a few times with Bob's Lexy and goes just fine. It's like driving one of our 26' box trucks compaired to driving the Corvette though.

Of all the drafts I've seen one of the most spectacalur was a Shire. Big black beautiful with 4 white stockings and an almost perfect blaze. Nice gal drove him at a show at Silver Sands. We had 7 or 8 drafts that show.

I knew you had something else in the ranks, LF. Keep us posted.

They are CUTE! And if you only had LC #1 in the photo, maybe we could be persuaded that they were BIG Perchies!! With you in photo, ahh... no.

Glad to see Hector looking so well after his illness, looks good. Worth the time and effort, seeing all the smiles.

With the cute little Welsh heads, you might want to consider using a gullet strap on the bridles. Seems to be a more recent innovation in carriage drivers. With tiny heads, thick manes, bitty little ears, the bridles are easy to rub off. A gullet strap is just a leather strap, western curb strap works, that runs from throatlatch to noseband, is tightened down pretty snug under the jaw. Fairly invisible too. Addition of strap makes it more difficult to rub the bridle off those bitty ears. Some Welsh owners say clipping mane often, helps a bit, allowing bridle to sit down tighter. Strap doesn't affect breathing any.

Sounds like you will be working like a demon, to keep all the equines in working shape. Too bad about the size variance, needing all that separate sized equipment.

We made the decision to put them to the forecart today. Hector has become the anchor of the two and Ty the ambition. This was the first hitch to a wheeled vehicle. They walked off like old pros. I think Ty is going to also be a single cart pony. He has a PONYTUDE that just won't stop. He is animated and can really move out. Hector is sleepy and more laid back. He tries to sit on the tongue when it touches his leg and Ty tries to escape it by running sideways. I do thing they are going to get it all together one of these days.

Just so you will believe me here is the proof.

http://www.drafthorsevillage.com/php...php?pic_id=429

Default Love it

LF Thanks. Great stuff there. Think my brain is talking to my fingers better this morning. I sure mangled the spelling in my message about the Shires didn't I?

You're not even wearing gloves!!!!!!

Sorry. distracted by all the snow. Those are great-looking ponies and I know you and the little losts are going to have a grand time with them.

Quote Originally Posted by MySparrow View Post
    You're not even wearing gloves!!!!!!
    He's a rough tough farmer not in a poncey concours d'elegance class

LF, Nice pair of ponies.