The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which claimers do you root for?

Which horses do you follow who aren't part of the "big names" contending in the graded stakes bt rather the bread-and-butter of this sport?

I know we've tossed a lot of names under the 'Those beloved battle tested warriors!thread - like Our Best Man - but there must be others who are plugging away at Suffolk, Aqueduct, Mountaineer, Hawthorne, Turf Paradise, Turfway Park, etc ....

For example I still look for Golden Man once a graded stakes runner now seen in sub $30k claiming races at Aqueduct.

Then everyone's favorite claimer, Golden Hare, who was the winningest horse in 2007 with 14 victories.

Who do you watch for?

I root for a bunch that I know in some capacity.

But, by far, my favorite claimer running is Honor Prayer. I guess I can't call him a claimer at the moment, since last time out he moved up to a $4,800 starter allowance at Beulah. I'm pretty sure he'll be seeing the $3K claimer ranks again in the not-so-distant future.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Again and Again, Pay Attention, Dynergy and R Clear Victory in NY. There are a few I follow at PHA and in KY as well. I agree about Golden Hare, he's a cool horse.
    I know there are others, when I see their name in the Form I'll add to the list.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Default Old Warrior

Azure Ciel, 11 years old and still plugging away at Charles Town. Just won a $4,000 claimer the other night. I wish they would retire him, big ankes and all. I love him, he likes to escape from his stall if he can.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Default Who's in your stable?

I've got a bunch, mostly horses I've met like Blind River Fox (He runs at the allowance/optional claimer level, and was named top sprinter at Suffolk last season. I got to stand in the winner's circle with him last June -- so cool!) or the diminutive MA bred Shamrock Patty (who at last notice was in with $2000 claimers at Penn Nat.)

Christmas Away --the now 8 year old son of Skip Away who ran is some lesser stakes races in NY before dropping to the claiming ranks-- is still on my watch list but I'm not sure if he's freshening up this winter or if he's all done.

I also have quite a few that are just starting out their careers: Salty Kisses, full sister to my Salty's Actress, who has put in a few works at Tampa, and a few sons & daughters of Prince of Fame, sire of my Rasor D, running out in New Mexico.

I've mentioned him before but I'm a Tyros Beach fan. He's running in optional claiming races now, and trains at Laurel. Hasn't actually run in a while, though (and hasn't been doing all that great at it, really).

I just love his big moose face, he was my horse's turnout buddy as a yearling and early two year old.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

My favorite claimer would have to be Ohbeegeewhyen. She was the first racehorse I was put up on to exercise and is such a sweet little mare. She was a turf runner in the $30k Claimers up here in Aqueduct and Belmont she was moved down to the Fairgrounds where she was claimed and seems to be working to another race. She's a very consistent girl, always tries her hardest once the gates open.

Others would be Baby Book, the first racehorse I was dumped by, Rememberthecowgirl, Prime Diamond, Bold Love and others.

I like Golden Hare, though I am biased as I get to see him work on the weekends at Sam Houston.
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by texang73 View Post
    I like Golden Hare, though I am biased as I get to see him work on the weekends at Sam Houston.
    Born 02/20/1999, GH just worked out on the 27th at 5 furlongs in 1:03.80 on a muddy track

Trail Boss is one of my current favorites who races at Beulah right now. He has won his last two races. And he is really cute. I'm secretly hoping one day he shows up on CANTER and I can buy him.

This Friday (Feb 1st) Golden Man will be running at Aqueduct for a $10k claiming pricing and $22k purse with 10 other starters:

Race 7 on 2-1-08 at 6 Furlongs - PP #9 Golden Man

In the 3rd race, another claimer for bigger dollars, is another name of recollection that's been kicking around: Artytheonemanparty

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Yep, I was the one who entered the info into Ebase!
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

I have 2 that I had been following since last summer. One is out-Dr Voodoo. I liked him for no other reason than he looked spectacular under the lights at Penn National. He ran well too. Somebody on here actually posted not too long ago that she aquired him for free since he got injured. Nonetheless, it was nice to know what happened to him and that he got a great home. I guess those off topics are ok sometimes

I also really like Mr. Sexy Cat. I'll admit I only really noticed him bc I have a cat named Sexy AND the little bugger won! I proceeded to watch him move up from a 5 or 10K claiming race to a 16K allowance race. Unfortunately he was brought back down and last time out at Laurel he didn't do so well. But it is fun having a horse to watch that is more or less local (I hope he comes back to Penn when it opens)!

What I noticed about both these horses is that I never got workout notices for them-only notices that they were racing.

If anybody knows of any others I can look out for at Penn, let me know! What is neat about this area is that Penn National actually has its own TV channel if you have only the simple extended cable!!

Quote Originally Posted by miss_critic View Post

What I noticed about both these horses is that I never got workout notices for them-only notices that they were racing.
    There's a reason for that. Hopefully one of the trainers on here can explain it better than me. But at most tracks you need X number of official works in a certain time period OR a race to remain eligible to run.

To do an official workout most places, you pretty much have all the hoopla as you would for a race (you need a jock, a starter, a clocker, verification of identity, no illegal meds, etc.). So with the cheap horses, they just run 'em regularly. No need to register for official works and you can earn a buck.

Although, a lot of the time people get around the workout rule and run without a work. Like for example, earlier this month I was watching a maiden claiming race where two of the horses had no works and no starts (and the announcer kept confirming there were no published works on those horses). I don't get that. Maybe someone can enlighten me.
    Last edited by Texarkana; Jan. 30, 2008 at 10:48 PM. Reason: re-phrased because I tend to make no sense :P
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I usually root for the ones I know, alot that I have worked on

I root for a ton of them because I own their dams or 1/2 sisters or 2nd dams but then I have my favorites just because they are older classy horses. Vinemeister at Charles Town is one, but he recently retired to stud. The other is Danthebluegrassman...this old boy ran in the Derby (or was on the Derby Trail cant remember which but I remember watching him on TV) and I saw him at Presque Isle on opening day this past fall and he ran last week for $7500 at Philly Park. I would love to have this boy in my barn at some point as a stud. Mister Lover Lover, I owned his 2nd dam until her death (have her 2yr old colt here) and not only do I love his name but he wins regularly...last win was a few days ago at MNR.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcrest View Post
    The other is Danthebluegrassman...this old boy ran in the Derby (or was on the Derby Trail cant remember which but I remember watching him on TV)
    Someone else just brought him up the other day. He was entered in the 2002 derby, but tied up the morning of the race and had to scratch. I think it's so cool he's still running.

Another tidbit, 2002 was the same year Lusty Latin ran in the derby. He was still running in the claiming ranks as of last summer, although I haven't seen any notifications on him lately. Not sure where he is now. He's a neat horse, I worked with him a few years ago.

I root for my own claimers----the babies in my barn

One of my "old guys" was just retired. Multiple Choice was a NY sw and was recently retired at age 10 after a pair of bad races at $7500 in NY.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    Someone else just brought (Danthebluegrassman) up the other day. He was entered in the 2002 derby, but tied up the morning of the race and had to scratch. I think it's so cool he's still running.
    That was me on the warriors thread -- he was never in contention in that last race. I don't know how low they'll drop him...but I'd think if you want him, now's the time to make an offer.