The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shameless brag- competed in Trail Horse competition

no, not regular stock horse show stuff or a judged trail ride...the Alabama Horse Fair was last weekend. It was a timed course, set up indoors...seventy riders competed and a CUTE little mule from GA won it with a screaming time of less than 2 minutes for the whole course (you were allowed 10 ) a perfect score would have been 105, and my little QH Jake and I ended up with a 101, which put us in sixth place

I just loved every second of it and am bursting with happiness over my good boy's go. Links here if you'd like to take a look...that's me on the sorrel, I'm wearing a black vest.

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s...20Horse%20Comp

http://www.youtube.com/user/DustyRider

Thanks for looking! If there's a similar competition near you- GO! Sign up! Try! It's a blast

Congrats katarine! It sounds like a lot of fun! Was the bag part of it? Or were the links not working for me?
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

I practiced outside carrying and dragging the bag of cans- he stepped in the dragline and scared himself outside...he was perfect inside... so all the outside pics are warm up stuff...only the indoors is actual competition

Yay! Congratulations! It sounds like so much fun. (And I hate I missed it.) I'd love to do something like that, but my ponies would give me the "You've got to be freakin' kidding me, lady" look if I tried.
    Randi
    "If you can't walk with the big horses, stay in the stall!"

Sounds like a lot of fun! Good job!!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Hi,

I saw you and your horse there~!~ I was there rooting for some of my friend's horses, and I saw the little mule..WOW..great job that mule did. So did the SSH that also got a perfect score. But you scored way up there..jeez 105 was max..

did you win money? I think first place was 1,000. Heck maybe that is one way to pay for some of our horse stuff!

There's another ultimate trail horse competition in Tennessee soon, I think in March.
    I had a great time watching everyone, did you see the horse that spooked from dragging the tree and ran sideways and backwards halfway across the arena. I thought that lady should have gotten the "best velcro butt" award..man could that horse fly sideways!

Great time, and I think it really shows how well a horse or mule can be trained!

Hey, thanks! We were sitting in 5th place until the SSH near the very end- the one who had a little trouble with the steps? Well when he nailed the tire work she knocked me out of the money but I was still just delighted with my horse. The judge walked up and told me halfway through the course (after the tire work ) that I was perfect plus one. I was really, really pleased- I was worried speed would get points over safe & sound: so for us to be well scored for a walk through, I thought was really nice.

I did see that horse try to exit stage left and I also heard someone hollering for Champagne Watchout but he wasn't as vocal in his praises when that same trainer/rider poked holes in her black horse to try to force her through the course. Did you see that? I was sitting RIGHT beside the poles/walkover section when the horse refused that obstacle too. I tell you what she should have been excused for abusing her spurs. It was poor horsemanship on her part all the way around. I'm glad rides like that were in the minority!

When/where is the thing in March? My SO wants to take his horse next time, make it a family affair
    Last edited by katarine; Jan. 30, 2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: ask about TN

Congrats, sounds like you had fun!! Pony looked really nervous. Is he young? You were hanging on that horn like he was gonna fly to the moon. How many obstacles could the horse refuse and still get good points? How did your horse handle the steps? Your boy did good with the cow! Two of my girls would have been fine with the cow, but the Arab does not "do" cows. lol. That would have been ugly!

CW was there??

LOL oh no, that's not me on the horn . That's a girl from GA who excused herself about halfway through. Her horse - who's in his 20s, was very worried - and he is wearing a curb bit and leather reins....mine's in a snaffle with black cord reins on slobber straps. We're both wearing black vests so I can see the confusion.

Each of the 10 obstacles was 10 points. Each half of the course you were allowed 5 minutes. If you had time remaining in the first half, there was a bonus obstacle- a smallish tractor tire with shavings dumped in it. Each hoof in the tire was 1 pt. Get both fores in at one time, then both hinds, that was a possible 5 total bonus points. Possible perfect score was 105. We scored a 101. I suppose you could refuse one and ace the rest...and get a 90 or so but horses fell into one of two buckets - 95 or better or 70 or less, seemed like. There were about 10 horses at 99 or better, and a ton under 70.

there was no cow?

my horse aced the steps- never hesitated. There are good pics of him up on it in that link. He slowed and looked at the water but went on, and the rest was easy with him. Just easy. That's him. He's 14 and I've had him since he was 3.

CW was there and he tried hard but he did poorly. she backed him into the water obstacle but he didn't really love any of it. I don't know his score. The other horse she rode was a disaster from start to finish and her riding was abusive.

Oh my, I'm sorry! You know me - and I was trying to be as nice as possible while thinking, um, the horse didn't complete two obstacles that I saw, and he was clearly very nervous, and the girl was obviously scared too, and she still got 101 points ??

Ok, it makes sense now!

I'll go back and look at the videos again. I can't open the pics here at work because it's blocked.

And I saw a cow! Or have I been drinking again at work......lol. I swear I see a cow. Past the water obstacle, near the 2nd gate you have to go through. It looks like a little steer.

In any case, I'm so glad your boy did so well! I wish I could see the picture, but I'll go and look tonight from home. The steps look like fun!

At about 3:15 on the long Lisa/Pockets video there's a cow. Or a sheep?? Ok, maybe it's a sheep.

I could tell you were trying to be nice and thinking how the heck do you blow a pattern that bad and get an A+ ???? LOL I gotcha

yes there was a ram and a ewe in a pen. you had to walk between them and a panel with only a 4' gap. Lots of horses took an exception to the notion of sheep in all forms

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    I could tell you were trying to be nice and thinking how the heck do you blow a pattern that bad and get an A+ ???? LOL I gotcha
    You know me too well, don't you??? LOL!

yes there was a ram and a ewe in a pen. you had to walk between them and a panel with only a 4' gap. Lots of horses took an exception to the notion of sheep in all forms
    Yeah, I'm not too sure how my ladies would have handled that either. Weeeeee!

But that looks like so much fun. How did you find out about it? I wonder if they hold anything like that around me?

Hey - for those stairs, do you have any idea what the rough dimensions were, or was there a non-slip surface on them? Just curious how they did it. I'd love to make a set to practice on at home. I have plenty of tractor tires, so I'm going to give that a shot too!

I can tell you exactly what it was and the pics you'll see from home show it clearly.

4' X 4' platforms formed each of the two 'risers'. They were one solid unit, like regular steps, so they couldn't slide apart. Topped with 3/4" marine-grade plywood and commercial grade carpet attached, on top of that. Total height was 32" so I guess the first step up was 16", then another 16" up from that, for a total backside drop off of 32" ...some horses scared me b/c they didn't hop forward off the end- they just stepped off and I can see a H&R getting in a serious wreck if a horse didn't catch himself right on landing.. it didn't happen but there wasn't much room for one to get sideways and then fall off the side, either.

I knew about it b/c the AL horse fair is always in Jan. so I found it on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by sidepasser View Post
    I had a great time watching everyone, did you see the horse that spooked from dragging the tree and ran sideways and backwards halfway across the arena. I thought that lady should have gotten the "best velcro butt" award..man could that horse fly sideways!
    That award should be presented at every competition, no matter what the sport!! There's a few times I might have won it.

We've competed in these types of things for 10 years now...some so scary I was afraid to go in the arena!! The last really big one was at the Ky Horse Park.

Not sure where you are but they are having a good one at the Fl Horse Park in Ocala...check their web site....

We ALWAYS attend one yearly in Altoona ...and then there are various ones in other areas. One coming up first part of March in Tampa....

You can get really hooked on these...sounds like you did really well too. What were the 10 obstacles?
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Hey, thanks! We were sitting in 5th place until the SSH near the very end- the one who had a little trouble with the steps? Well when he nailed the tire work she knocked me out of the money but I was still just delighted with my horse. The judge walked up and told me halfway through the course (after the tire work ) that I was perfect plus one. I was really, really pleased- I was worried speed would get points over safe & sound: so for us to be well scored for a walk through, I thought was really nice.

I did see that horse try to exit stage left and I also heard someone hollering for Champagne Watchout but he wasn't as vocal in his praises when that same trainer/rider poked holes in her black horse to try to force her through the course. Did you see that? I was sitting RIGHT beside the poles/walkover section when the horse refused that obstacle too. I tell you what she should have been excused for abusing her spurs. It was poor horsemanship on her part all the way around. I'm glad rides like that were in the minority!

When/where is the thing in March? My SO wants to take his horse next time, make it a family affair

I saw that rider hitting the horse so hard with the spurs that one flew off - she should have been excused right then and there. No excuse for it.

I saw the ad for the ultimate trail competition in March in either a Southern Horse connection magazine or Stablemates..can't remember which. I bet if you google around, Ultimate Trail Competition and Tennessee you will get a hit.

I thought the half arab was sooo cool, he just thought and thought about that tire and them "boing" popped right over it. Got a great response from the crowd!

Oh them were sheeps in that there pen - lol. Sheeps scare horses, cotton balls on hooves..

here's the little mule, Grace in the first half of the competition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1coy-0O_ACU&NR=1

and here is the second half:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7z2-...eature=related

I just have a soft spot for mules.

Oh and I found this advertisment for Tennessee but am not sure it is the same one I saw in the magazine:

http://www.midtnhorsefest.com/

HorseGirl70 Guest

no, not regular stock horse show stuff or a judged trail ride...the Alabama Horse Fair was last weekend. It was a timed course, set up indoors...seventy riders competed and a CUTE little mule from GA won it with a screaming time of less than 2 minutes for the whole course (you were allowed 10 ) a perfect score would have been 105, and my little QH Jake and I ended up with a 101, which put us in sixth place

I just loved every second of it and am bursting with happiness over my good boy's go. Links here if you'd like to take a look...that's me on the sorrel, I'm wearing a black vest.

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s...20Horse%20Comp

http://www.youtube.com/user/DustyRider

Thanks for looking! If there's a similar competition near you- GO! Sign up! Try! It's a blast
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iNhoU_lbaI (see video)
    The people that don't understand how or why a ranch would train a horse like this should see these competitions.
    (check out this post: http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=135950)
    I know they have them all over the country now. Seems like a small investment for someone that could actually attend these, win and maybe earn the money backā€¦.AND it looks like so much fun!

"Yeah" for you out having fun WITH your horse!! Awesome job - great horse you have there!

Thanks for posting it - I really enjoyed watching the video

That looks like soooo much fun!! Congratulations... Wow, we never have anything good like that around here.

Its about time that "Trail Horses" got recognized for their unique talents.

I loved Grace the Mule..

What were the rules of the big tire? The owner seemed to wave her hand, like "Never mind".

Looks like you had a lot of fun.