The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 117
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug. 11, 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    519

    Default

    For me personally, besides pay and benefits, I want a boss who really respects and loves the horses...not always easy to find in this highly competitive field. Example: I don't want a boss who skimps on bedding and allows the horses to stand in wet bedding just to save a couple bucks.

    One of my all-time favorite stories: My sister worked her butt off at a big barn (she's an adult/doesn't ride), and one day when one of her co-workers was so insulted by the owner's behavior that she walked off the job, the owner went on a rant to my sister, during which she said, "I pay you guys a decent wage." My sister looked at her, wordless, while the owner thought about this statement then amended it to, "Well...I pay you."
    \"Get after her, you feckless pack of ingrates!\"



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr. 12, 2007
    Posts
    251

    Default

    I second the, "Say please and thank you. Display over the top gratitude in response to over the top effort."

    As someone who has worked in several barns, I think that treating the help with respect and showing gratitude is the most important thing.



  3. #23
    Join Date
    May. 13, 2006
    Location
    Southeast MA
    Posts
    1,208

    Default

    Chanda, I always appreciate hearing your stories and words of wisdom
    -Desmond

    "If you're dating a guy who rides horses, Raise your cup. If not, Raise your standards."



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug. 22, 2006
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Cboylen-----you should be an equine commedian, that was gut-wrenching!

    Thanks for the laugh!



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov. 20, 2006
    Location
    Barboursville, Virginia
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    At my former barn, we had the groom that drove from SC to the wrong city in TX and pawned the golfcart on the way (but boss, it's okay, they're only charging $20 a day storage). He was closely followed by the groom that pawned the fax machine, tv, vcr, microwave, and coffee maker, then got the car impounded and wound up in jail. Then the one that left us short handed for two weeks in the middle of VT, to go home to mourn the death of a family member that we later learned was a pit bull chow cross. One magically "got lost" on the way to every show, arriving just in time to see the last thing unloaded and set up.
    There were a couple that required explanation of indoor plumbing, one who would not drive any type of motorized vehicle, and one who hit the ground at the sight of his first airplane going overhead. We had one equine college grad who spent forty minutes of every day explaining how she would do things differently, and the rest of the time giving me important information like "Fluffy went out in the paddock at 10:12 and came in at 12:03".
    My recent favorite interpreted "wrap the horses with the shipping halters on their stalls" into "rig up a hotplate to the tent lightbulb and cook beans and rice in a skillet in my feed room two feet from the hay". That one remained in the housing two weeks after he was fired, and the other guys were too scared of him to tell anyone.
    I've had ones that purported to know everything who have put the girth on backwards and had no clue how to attach a pair of draw reins, and one notable case who actually managed to tack up a horse with a backwards saddle. We've washed horses with truck soap and set up legs with flyspray, while flyspraying with wound medicine. And then there was the helpful one that, before I went to get on for a class, dusted off my horse and my saddle....with show sheen.
    We've had some great help, too, but I have become an obsessive double-checker in the process, and there was a period of time where my mother went to every show with a bail bond in her purse, just in case .

    It sounds like you hired a bunch of mexicans... Honestly- What did you expect from people who barely speak english and are illegal?!



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,333

    Default hmmmmm

    I think if I was looking for a job and I read some of the above, I would scratch my head and wonder who would work for someone that belittles their employees?

    Attitude reflects leadership.



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul. 11, 2004
    Posts
    6,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderluster View Post
    Can you elaborate? I am interested in your point of view.
    What part of KEEP IT LEGAL is a "point of view?"

    Don't hire illegals no matter how cheap they'll work.

    Don't play games with payments. I've run into several barns that told their employees they were all "independent contractors". These were guys who really weren't all that savvy about business. Since they were IC's, the barn owner didn't pay: unemployment insurance, medical insurance disability insurance, retirement, social security and several other costs. Tons of savings for the BO, the employees got screwed.

    There are 12 or so requirments needed to be fulfilled to qualify as an independent contractor...these guys didn't qualify for even 1 requirements.

    Be honest, pay a real wage to legal employees and treat them like adults.



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2005
    Posts
    2,606

    Default

    Offer health insurance.



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2007
    Location
    Rising Sun, MD
    Posts
    3,526

    Default

    From a good employee

    1. Pay decently- it doesn't have to make me rich, but I do have bills to pay.
    2. realize that I am not a slave
    3. please understand that this is not a normal job (how many nonhorsey people do you know that work 6 days a week every week at a minimum of 8 hours a day??), we are away from our families, and we are doing all of this to take care of animals we love. This isn't just a job- it's our passion and our lifestyle
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec. 7, 2006
    Posts
    867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DancingQueen View Post
    Hire "international" staff and sponsor their visas. A visa holder will have to work for the person sponsoring their visa.
    Being a good boss helps too of course. Lol
    Nothing quite like indentured servitude, is there?



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Nov. 20, 2006
    Location
    Barboursville, Virginia
    Posts
    329

    Default

    No wonder professionals have such a hard time keeping good help. After reading all the above posts I understand.

    I worked for the same woman, same barn, same horses, for 6 years. I left last week because I moved to NC to be with my husband. I was the one and only. I did it all. She was a wonderful boss and wonderful friend. My leaving was hard for her, but we decided it would be best for me to gradually phase out. It has taken her 4 people to replace everything that I did.

    I could have worked where the pay was better, or where I got some benefits, but I loved working for someone who became my friend as well as my boss.

    Belittling the help, treating them like slaves, and making their work unbarable is not the way to keep them.



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Apr. 12, 2002
    Location
    Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes
    Posts
    1,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    At my former barn, we had the groom that drove from SC to the wrong city in TX and pawned the golfcart on the way (but boss, it's okay, they're only charging $20 a day storage). He was closely followed by the groom that pawned the fax machine, tv, vcr, microwave, and coffee maker, then got the car impounded and wound up in jail. Then the one that left us short handed for two weeks in the middle of VT, to go home to mourn the death of a family member that we later learned was a pit bull chow cross. One magically "got lost" on the way to every show, arriving just in time to see the last thing unloaded and set up.
    There were a couple that required explanation of indoor plumbing, one who would not drive any type of motorized vehicle, and one who hit the ground at the sight of his first airplane going overhead. We had one equine college grad who spent forty minutes of every day explaining how she would do things differently, and the rest of the time giving me important information like "Fluffy went out in the paddock at 10:12 and came in at 12:03".
    My recent favorite interpreted "wrap the horses with the shipping halters on their stalls" into "rig up a hotplate to the tent lightbulb and cook beans and rice in a skillet in my feed room two feet from the hay". That one remained in the housing two weeks after he was fired, and the other guys were too scared of him to tell anyone.
    I've had ones that purported to know everything who have put the girth on backwards and had no clue how to attach a pair of draw reins, and one notable case who actually managed to tack up a horse with a backwards saddle. We've washed horses with truck soap and set up legs with flyspray, while flyspraying with wound medicine. And then there was the helpful one that, before I went to get on for a class, dusted off my horse and my saddle....with show sheen.
    We've had some great help, too, but I have become an obsessive double-checker in the process, and there was a period of time where my mother went to every show with a bail bond in her purse, just in case .

    OK I am wiping the coffe from my screen now, I'm sorry I know the stories weren't funny
    to you at the time, but I needed the laugh this morning, I just got in from the barn , it's 20 below with the windchill and my damn horses are dressed better then me !



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2004
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    What part of KEEP IT LEGAL is a "point of view?"

    Don't hire illegals no matter how cheap they'll work.

    Don't play games with payments. I've run into several barns that told their employees they were all "independent contractors". These were guys who really weren't all that savvy about business. Since they were IC's, the barn owner didn't pay: unemployment insurance, medical insurance disability insurance, retirement, social security and several other costs. Tons of savings for the BO, the employees got screwed.

    There are 12 or so requirments needed to be fulfilled to qualify as an independent contractor...these guys didn't qualify for even 1 requirements.

    Be honest, pay a real wage to legal employees and treat them like adults.
    I agree, I have interviewed at a few barns that tried the whole IC thing - luckily I know what it means and immediately said "thank you for your time, I will give you a call."

    If you hire international employees, educate yourself on visa sponsorship and make sure you get everything in on time.

    And obviously pay well and give health care benefits and at least some time off.



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jan. 23, 2000
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,890

    Default

    It sounds like you hired a bunch of mexicans... Honestly- What did you expect from people who barely speak english and are illegal?!
    You know this... how, exactly?



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Nov. 23, 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,625

    Default

    You get what you pay for. If you want to acquire as well as retain good, reliable and educated help one must PAY for such and hold high standards on the job. This isn't a problem that is specific to just the horse industry. It is a problem in the majority of minimum wage jobs.



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 2005
    Posts
    1,971

    Default

    I agree w/ everyone who said pay a good wage...Its hard to be happy with your job when you're struggling to pay for the basics.

    Its also more appealing to stay in an environment where you feel appreciated for your work. Of course, most good employees want to feel like the job they are doing is being done well and to your expectations. I know in the industry I am in now, I can get frustrated if I feel I am not able to do something effectively (its a male dominated, hands on field...I'm still *in training* and always will be, since its constantly evolving technology, and sometimes I feel like I have to prove I can do something better than "the guys" to feel appreciated)

    As an employee, it's *hard* to find a good job where you make enough to pay the bills and where you feel appreciated.

    One note though, I left a good paying, great benefit job to go back to an industry I loved (not horses...but was a possibility) My boss lured me in with "competitive pay, but not what you're making now." I jumped on the chance, only to learn he could hardly afford to pay minimum wage, no beneifits. I won't take any job now without everything in writing before leaving the last. On top of it, he's an alcoholic and brings his own liquor to work, the phones are shut off due to non payment and we have almost no customers. I'm so dissapointed. A professional environment might make up for the lack of pay. So it's not all about pay, but I guess it takes the right combination if you want to keep someone.

    Good luck in your search. Once you find a *good* employee, I hope you are able to keep them!!!
    "Wost Case Ontario..."



  17. #37
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2007
    Posts
    650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dancetil3 View Post
    For me personally, besides pay and benefits, I want a boss who really respects and loves the horses...not always easy to find in this highly competitive field. Example: I don't want a boss who skimps on bedding and allows the horses to stand in wet bedding just to save a couple bucks.

    One of my all-time favorite stories: My sister worked her butt off at a big barn (she's an adult/doesn't ride), and one day when one of her co-workers was so insulted by the owner's behavior that she walked off the job, the owner went on a rant to my sister, during which she said, "I pay you guys a decent wage." My sister looked at her, wordless, while the owner thought about this statement then amended it to, "Well...I pay you."
    AMEN to the 1st part. Its soo hard to work for someone who skimps and puts the horses at risk to save some money.



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb. 26, 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    At my former barn, we had the groom that drove from SC to the wrong city in TX and pawned the golfcart on the way (but boss, it's okay, they're only charging $20 a day storage). He was closely followed by the groom that pawned the fax machine, tv, vcr, microwave, and coffee maker, then got the car impounded and wound up in jail. Then the one that left us short handed for two weeks in the middle of VT, to go home to mourn the death of a family member that we later learned was a pit bull chow cross. One magically "got lost" on the way to every show, arriving just in time to see the last thing unloaded and set up.
    There were a couple that required explanation of indoor plumbing, one who would not drive any type of motorized vehicle, and one who hit the ground at the sight of his first airplane going overhead. We had one equine college grad who spent forty minutes of every day explaining how she would do things differently, and the rest of the time giving me important information like "Fluffy went out in the paddock at 10:12 and came in at 12:03".
    My recent favorite interpreted "wrap the horses with the shipping halters on their stalls" into "rig up a hotplate to the tent lightbulb and cook beans and rice in a skillet in my feed room two feet from the hay". That one remained in the housing two weeks after he was fired, and the other guys were too scared of him to tell anyone.
    I've had ones that purported to know everything who have put the girth on backwards and had no clue how to attach a pair of draw reins, and one notable case who actually managed to tack up a horse with a backwards saddle. We've washed horses with truck soap and set up legs with flyspray, while flyspraying with wound medicine. And then there was the helpful one that, before I went to get on for a class, dusted off my horse and my saddle....with show sheen.
    We've had some great help, too, but I have become an obsessive double-checker in the process, and there was a period of time where my mother went to every show with a bail bond in her purse, just in case .
    I haven't laughed so hard all week. I can't even imagine how you managed to get on after your saddle was "dusted" with show sheen!



  19. #39
    Join Date
    Dec. 6, 2006
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrbear11 View Post
    It sounds like you hired a bunch of mexicans... Honestly- What did you expect from people who barely speak english and are illegal?!
    Wow, what a terrible thing to say. In addition to everyone else's tips for keeping good help, I'd add: "Must not be a Bigot."
    Being Mexican does not make someone an idiot, a thief or illegal.



  20. #40
    Join Date
    Nov. 6, 2005
    Location
    Canada/Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrbear11 View Post
    It sounds like you hired a bunch of mexicans... Honestly- What did you expect from people who barely speak english and are illegal?!
    Just because you have Mexicans working for you, it does not mean the are illegal. I have 3 Mexicans and they have the proper paper work and pay taxes.



Similar Threads

  1. Professionals and their Tack Choices
    By MistyPony in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jul. 25, 2012, 01:08 AM
  2. Calling all professionals....
    By Isabeau Z Solace in forum Off Course
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: May. 4, 2012, 04:27 PM
  3. Professionals....
    By Isabeau Z Solace in forum Dressage
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Feb. 14, 2012, 02:30 PM
  4. Horse Professionals and Retirement?
    By Pirateer in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Feb. 17, 2010, 02:10 PM
  5. Drug use in professionals
    By Firerider88 in forum Favorites
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: Dec. 4, 2002, 01:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness