The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

secretlink - You should be glad the horses got a great home, and hope that everything works out OK for the OP in her difficult situation.

I agree about looking at CANTER - they have some great horses that are in desperate need as well.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Foreverpepper and Kinsella, thanks for you suggestion. And as I posted I am glad they are safe. I am not out looking for a horse right now, every once in a while you feel a connection to a horse for some reason... and that is what I am sad about, I just wish I had been told I had to get there first. But thank you for your suggestions. I do peruse the Canter site on occasion.

secretlink
    I understand what you mean. And I also agree with you

Default I'm sorry you're upset

But Eileen did what she had to do. She loves those horses very much. I would much rather give horses to someone who dropped everything and drove all night (in the rain and wind) to pick them up. She also got to meet us, one of our trainers (the horses will either be here at my house or at the trainers) and my daughter who will be riding them. It's very hard to send an animal you love away with a commercial shipper, never to meet their future owner. There are a lot of odd-balls out there.
    She also really needed to rehome them fast. Lots of things can happen in a few days. I know many people who have had people promise to take horses never to show up and actually get them. She couldn't chance that in her situation.

She is a WONDERFUL, KNOWLEDGEABLE woman. She wasn't pulling one over on you. She did what she needed to do.

You could have done what we did. We drove 17 hours non-stop to get them.
    M

I definitely have to second, third or fourth the CANTER suggestion, we have a great big guy from Penn National who has been awesome, 17.2 hands and lets little nine and ten year olds mosey around on him

Well I can understand your frustration!!! Though it's absolutley WONDERFUL that these horses found homes!!! I too had talked to Eileen about coming to get all 3 of these horses!!! and I couldn't do anything till this weekend!!! but I was so happy when I saw that they had a good home!!!!! I wonder did the other older mare find a home yet??????? I hope so!!!!! I am in NC and yes it would have been a haul but I am sure it would have been worth it! I have a horse at my place right now that was given to me!! he has a fractured cannon bone, a quarter crack and a excercise induced pulmonary hemorage! I have a soft spot for TB's and especially ones in need!

Anyway I understand you aren't currently "looking" for a horse but hey we can't actually believe that!!!!!!!!! haha you are after all a horse person!!!!!! face it you, me and everyother horse person is always "looking"!!! but Canter is great I got my last horse there a 17 tb gelding! and while I was there I picked up 2 others! a filly (sound), given to me and the horse with the injuries!! so you never know what you can find when your not "looking" haha

Savoy - you have a PM (totally unrelated to this discussion!)
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

I am always looking...just not with intent! I am glad I did not drive 17 hours and find the horses gone and have to head home with an empty trailer. Commercial shippers are not bad. The ones I had retained were going to let him travel in a comfy air-ride box stall
    Zoe

Could we get an update on the status of the older mare? Any leads or is she headed to New Holland Monday?

Default re: OP"s update

She posted in the update that the mare is safe for now. She moved her to a friend's house down the street but hopes that in a couple of weeks someone will give her a lifetime home.
    Last edited by Calamber; Feb. 1, 2008 at 05:47 PM.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    She posted in the update that the mare is safe for now. She moved her to a friend's house down the street but hopes that in a couple of weeks someone with give her a lifetime home.
    Thanks! Some how I missed that... ?

Default Who said commercial shippers were bad????

Quote Originally Posted by secretlink View Post
    I am always looking...just not with intent! I am glad I did not drive 17 hours and find the horses gone and have to head home with an empty trailer. Commercial shippers are not bad. The ones I had retained were going to let him travel in a comfy air-ride box stall
    Zoe

I never said commercial shippers were bad. I hired one to move my herd from NJ to VA last year. Nothing wrong with that at all.

My point was she got to meet us and talk to us in person. That makes a big difference.

We took the chance of driving 17 hours and going home empty. It was a chance worth taking for us. We had no idea what we would or wouldn't find when we got there. We took a chance, that's what you have to do or else you'll never get anything. There aren't many free, sound, gorgeous, talented horses out there. When you find them you have make a move and make it fast.
    Had you gotten there before us we would have went home empty. Would we be on here complaining about it? No. We know sometimes you win sometimes you lose. It's not like we were never on the losing end.
    M

CHS,
    I appreciate that. I just did not know that there was a race to get the horse. I was told I could have him and a saturday pickup was fine. If I had known I needed to get there first to have him I could have done things differently. That is what I am saying.

For all that are or not looking. I have a post for a wonderful gelding in PA. He needs a good loving lifetime new home! I hope he finds one!

I sent you a PM regarding the older mare. Thank you!
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

mothernature Guest

Default I may be the forever home you are seeking...

could you email photos and history for your 19yr old mare, I lost my girl, last week at age 35. I have a greiving 16yr old Arab gelding who needs a companion. If she can be ridden by beginner/intermediate that is a plus. I have a small farm on Virginia's Eastern Shore, great barn, safe fencing. Barn is also home to a cat and visited frequently by my corgi's. Does she do well with small animals? please let me know what info you would require from a potential adoptor.

thank you...

Kim
    Last edited by mothernature; Mar. 2, 2008 at 03:22 PM.

Default The older mare

I'm sorry to tell everyone the older mare coliced not long after I took the other two and had to be euthanized.
    M

Oh how sad. Jingles for her soul.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I'm sorry secretlink that you got led on by the Op- I've had it happen to me and although in the end it really did work out best for me not to end up with the horse it was a major bummer.

I don't care if the OP was giving away the horses or selling them for 20k a pop. It sounds as though she made a firm arrangements with secretlink for the horse to be picked up on Saturday. I can see where SL would feel like she got screwed.

And quite frankly CHS's rightous attitude about its a little mean spirited. No need to rub salt in the wound.

Default Sandra

This has happened quite a while ago. You didn't even see the ORIGINAL first post because it has been edited.
    The horses NEEDED to be moved by Feb 1. Secretlink couldn't get them by the first. That Saturday was a few days AFTER the first.
    I was able to pick them up before the first and I did.

As for the rest of your post, Secretlink has pm'd me saying she would still like the gelding if I decide not to keep him.
    You're snotty remarks, while NOT knowing the whole story aren't helping Secretlink one bit now are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra6500 View Post
    I'm sorry secretlink that you got led on by the Op- I've had it happen to me and although in the end it really did work out best for me not to end up with the horse it was a major bummer.

I don't care if the OP was giving away the horses or selling them for 20k a pop. It sounds as though she made a firm arrangements with secretlink for the horse to be picked up on Saturday. I can see where SL would feel like she got screwed.

And quite frankly CHS's rightous attitude about its a little mean spirited. No need to rub salt in the wound.
    M