The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HPFarms Guest

Red face "Horse Wanted"

Hello,
    I have room at my farm for 2-3 more horses, I am looking for a free pasture mate that is : mare or gelding, 14hh-17hh, 11yrs.old and under. I prefer REG. to prove age, any breed (but I would prefer not gaited) Mares do not need to be broke or sound, just breeding sound and safe to handle. Geldings need to either be sound, or have an injury that will heal with time, plus they need to be broke to ride with no funny bussiness under saddle. If you have what I am looking for and can deliver to Ohio zip code 45130, please contact me by private message or email at halfpintfarms@yahoo.com Thanks

Why can't you have a gaited horse in your pasture?

Because she wants to either breed them or ride them. Doesn't want to breed or ride something gaited I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra6500 View Post
    Because she wants to either breed them or ride them. Doesn't want to breed or ride something gaited I guess.
    And she apparently wants someone to give her a well-schooled horse with no issues under saddle, AND it has to meet all these other criteria, AND she wants it delivered to Ohio. Interesting.

OP Could you please provide further details about your breeding or riding plans?
    Thanks!
    Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Amazing.

I saw another post like this on a local forum, someone looking for a 17 hand horse with potential to be a top level eventer for $1k or under.

I guess it never hurts to ask

HPFarms Guest

Default to answer you questions.

I said that I would "Prefer a non gaited breed" not that I won't take one in. I plan on breeding the mare next year depending on the breed, I would need time to find the right stallion. as far as age goes, I want something that is 12yrs.old and under because my 27yr.old TB mare died last year and it wasn't very fun!!! I only had 6yrs. with her, and I would LIKE to spend more time with my horses! as far as a well schooled horse goes, that is NOT what I am looking for, if you read my ad, you will NOT see me asking for a schooled horse, just one that can W/T/C with out trying to dump me. If I wanted a "well Schooled Horse" I would pay $5,000-$12,000 dollars. I just have extra room on my farm, plenty of Hay & Grain, and would like to "Pleasure Ride" the gelding (key word being pleasure) I also said the mare do not need to be riding sound. So I am sorry if you don't agree with me.

Quote Originally Posted by HPFarms View Post
    I I plan on breeding the mare next year depending on the breed, I would need time to find the right stallion.
    I'm sorry but, Please don't. If you are looking for the experience of raising a baby, why not just go to the auction and buy one for $50. In the long run it will save you a lot of money- and will save a life, instead of creating another one.

Default Why all the fussing?!

I don't really understand why everyone is giving this woman a hard time. She simply posted a wanted ad that specified what she is looking for...and there very well could be some freebies out there that fit her criteria. We have 6 horses, 4 of which were given to us free because the owners wanted a good home rather than getting money for the horse. While these horses are a little older, (ranging from 15 yrs -21 yrs) they are still in perfect health and great riding condition. They are very well trained under saddle and on the ground. I have seen MANY great horses on this forum and on other sites that are free, just keep your eyes peeled for the right horse in the right location. Im sure you already have seen this site, but Equine.com has a good free horses section that we have had a lot of luck with. There may be some closer to your area on that site.

As far as her wishes to breed a mare, why the heck not? She sounds like she is wanting to do research and find the right stallion. We used to be into breeding and while it does cost a lot of money and time, it is well worth it! And if you have the extra money and time to spare, go for it!There is nothing like being there for the birth and being there for the foals first few hours... not to mention being able to imprint the foal. Buying one from the auction is a great option too, but just not the same experience.

Anyways, just my opinion!

Jessie
    Zion Farm - Friesian & Norwegian Fjord Horses

I just sent you an email about a mare located in Eastern Ohio...she sounds like she is exactly what you are looking for!
    goodluck

HPFarms Guest

"Norcrest" Thank you for the info, I just wrote to her and waiting for a reply

Is anyone else pounding their head on the keyboard right now?

HPFarms Guest

what is that suppose to mean? I am an experienced horse owner with extra room on my farm. What is so different about my ad then if I were to go to www.equine.com and put in my search criteria? I would be skipping over the horses that I do not want! huh?

I just feel that with the unwanted horse crisis going on right now, that people should have a little higher standards when looking for a broodmare.

"Free and Registered" probably isn't going to produce a foal with any more quality than a lot of them out there already. There are a lot of registered mares out there that should not be bred just because they can be.

I would hope that I'm missing something in your OP.

HPFarms Guest

sent you a PM as a reply

Quote Originally Posted by JSWiley View Post
    As far as her wishes to breed a mare, why the heck not? She sounds like she is wanting to do research and find the right stallion.
    Because her criteria seems to be pretty much that it have a uterus. It's generally useful to have at least as much research go into finding the right mare as it is the stallion. And frankly, as she didn't give a whole lot of indication what her goals were for the foal, it makes it look like she just wants to crank out a foal. There is a huge surplus of horses in the US right now. If she isn't breeding for high level performance (no, not little local shows) and/or to otherwise better the breed, then there's really no excuse for it, as there are plenty of horses going through auctions for almost nothing and as giveaways. Breeding yet another unremarkable foal just dooms another one already on the ground to slaughter.

There is nothing like being there for the birth and being there for the foals first few hours...
    Uh huh. And what about being there for the next 25+ years of its life? How about being there for its last few hours and death at a Mexican slaughterhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    Is anyone else pounding their head on the keyboard right now?
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    I just feel that with the unwanted horse crisis going on right now, that people should have a little higher standards when looking for a broodmare.

"Free and Registered" probably isn't going to produce a foal with any more quality than a lot of them out there already. There are a lot of registered mares out there that should not be bred just because they can be.

I would hope that I'm missing something in your OP.
    Me too.

HPFarms Guest

Default Please PM me if you have a horse available.

I am sorry, but I do not have time to reply to every quote, since most of the time you guys are putting me down. I posted here because 4 people told me this was a great message forum. I guess they were wrong. if you truly have a horse available, please PM me .otherwise I won't answer any more negative replies. and I will just delete any PM with the same rude remarks. Thanks!

Please don't be upset, this IS a wonderful board.

If you search the topic "horse slaughter" you will find that the unwanted horse crisis issue on this board is a HOT topic, and all of us, whether we are for, or against slaughter, are seeing horrific things happening every day because of irresponsible breeding.

Now I know everyone's definition of that is different, but around here the general consensus is that a horse needs a darn good reason to reproduce right now.

I hope you won't leave the board, because it is really a great place. But the people here are all relatively experienced horse people, and are not afraid to speak up when they disagree with someone.

Anyway, hope you stick around, but you do need a thick skin here on COTH.

HPFarms Guest

I would like to say "Thanks" to sweetwater,Norcrest, and Jswiley for giving me useful information, and talking to me like a professional horse person. I did enjoy talking with you.I will continue to read the posts, and from time to time I may reply.

Quote Originally Posted by HPFarms View Post
    I would like to say "Thanks" to sweetwater,Norcrest, and Jswiley for giving me useful information, and talking to me like a professional horse person.

I am sorry that you felt I didn't talk to you like a professional horse person. My post was from the heart.

So you understand where I am coming from:
    I have a high quality Arabian mare that is worthy of being bred. Have had many professionals tell me so- requests to lease her as a brood mare, offers to bred her to their stallion for free etc. But when doing the math on breeding a mare, calculating the risk to her and benchmarking that against a 3 year old started horse, I came to the conclusion that it was not only financially a bad choice, but morally and ethically wrong to bring another life into this world when so many are being wasted. On top of that, breeding is a crap shoot at best, and if you bred the best of the breed to the best of the breed, you still might get a crappy horse. That is why so many top breeding farms cull a percentage of their foal crop at auction.

So again, I am sorry if you think I didn't talk to you as a horse professional, but your post lended itself to these types of responses. To me, breeding a horse is something that should be left only to those that are experts in their breed, and have years of extensive study and research into what breeds well with what. Someone posting on a Giveaway forum to breed a mare that's only criteria is that it has to be registered, IMO, does not fall into that category- and is a recipe for disaster. Which is why I suggested picking up a baby for $50 at an auction.

Looking for rideable geldings that you want to give a home to, good for you.
    Last edited by gloriginger; Mar. 6, 2008 at 10:16 AM.