The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Blind Saddlebred/Paso Fino gelding 16 hands-trail ridable!! *Pics*

Dusty is a Saddlebred/Paso Fino mix, no I didn't breed him but he actually turned out to be pretty awesome! Smooooooth gait and nice size and very beautiful.

He isn't being used much anymore, we have too many horses to ride them all. He needs a job and loves to go out. He trims, clips, bathes, loads, loves to trail ride on smooth road type trails and can go on some rough trails (tree roots, rocks, inclines, logs) if it's not for long stretches. He is great in the arena. Smooth fast rack and awesome canter, I have never "opened" him up as I am afraid he would be too fast, LOL!

People are amazed and don't believe he is blind when we are trail riding, he is so reponsive, almost like a "joystick" control on the reins. He also replies to voice commands (Whoa! Back! Step UP! etc)

He has a small pasture with lots of trees and he has it memorized, he also is good in a stall.

I would like to do a free lease. He is a smart horse and a good boy I would love so much to see some little girl have him, it would be good for him. I would like a contract that if it doesn't work out he comes back to me, that's my sweet boy, I just want him to have some work, he loves it so.

Here are pictures of him:

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=CIMG0593.jpg

He is the one on the left:

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=CIMG0577.jpg

View from his back (his ears) recent trail ride:

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=CIMG0100.jpg

Trail ride:

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...nddusty060.jpg

Pretty pose:

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...eb20200671.jpg

Prancing boy! He is SO beautiful to see move!

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e2...andLexxie6.jpg
    Last edited by Chardavej; Feb. 19, 2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Wanted to ad "trail ridable" to the title

I guess it would help to give a location, eh? We are near Charlotte NC, in Gastonia. He has never had a sick day in his life, he is healthy as a horse, so to speak. He has gas colic about two years ago, vet thinks it was because of the weather change. He has NO vices, is a sweet boy and a BLAST to ride! He has to have blankets (and has an assortment) because he can't see the days getting shorter so he keeps a summer coat all winter, which isn't bad as you don't have to deal with shedding in the spring and when you ride in the winter don't have to worry about sweating or clipping.

He is lovely! Can I put post him on the trot forums? (saddlebred people there!) Neat horse, I bet you have lots of fun letting people guess what his breeding is! I can definitely see the saddlebred, but the other half would have me stumped.

Yes by all means please do, thank you!

His gait is unbelivable smooth! He is very high stepping in the front and really covers some ground, he paddles with front feet too. They move quick almost like the Paso Fino. Maybe this weekend if it's nice (I really, really hope) I will get him out and ride him and have someone video him.

Everyone loves to watch him move, they say he looks so PROUD the way he arches his neck and lifts up his front feet. I am a big fat weeble wobble and can ride him bareback with a halter and leadrope at all his gaits, his canter is to DIE for! So unbelivable smooooth!

He is my baby boy, I really just want someone who will ride him as he loves loves loves to go out, he truely does. When he could see we would take him out of the pasture, point over to where ever the open trailer was and he would trot over and self load! Too cool. Now though you have to lead him over, stop him, he puts his nose on the trailer floor then steps on in. His trust is amazing, he is amazing period.

I just posted him in the Rescue section....I know he's not a rescue, but there are similar free-to-good home situations on there.

I think he is just loffly, and what an incredible story - a blind trail horse! Admittedly, I have no experience with blind horses, but what a guy. I hope he can find someone he has as strong a bond with as he obviously does you. Best of luck!

Thank you! He is a good boy, also forgot to mention he is about 16 years old.

What was the cause of his blindness?
    He is lovely
    I have actually been to Gastonia recently for work, unfortunately the area isnt part of my territory, or else i'd help you keep him fit and happy when in town.

If you want to PM me your contact info, if that ever changes I would love to meet him!!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

He's lovely and sounds like SUCH a nice horse.

Ahhh.. if I wasn't so far away and already paying board on 3

I hope you find a great situation for clearly very special horse.
    I recognized with despair that I was about to be compelled to buy a horse ~
    Edith Somerville and "Martin Ross"

"Momma" to Tiempo, Tucker and Puff, RIP my beautiful Norman 8/2012

He had uvietis in both eyes when we got him, we knew he was going to go blind just didn't think it would happen so fast. The vet came out several times and we were going to have surgery to remove his lens (he wouldn't be able to see stuff up close, it would be fuzzy but he would have had far vision) but they said his irises were to scarred up.

He loves to have his face and eyes rubbed, I call him my "Itchy Boy" and he is the ONLY horse I let rub his face on my back. I will turn to him and brace myself and push on his face and then he knows it's on, LOL!

He is a charater too, he knows it is feed time and that you are there somewhere, he will bang his foot on the gate then stick his head over the gate and look around till you speak to him. Otherwise it's "BANG! BANG!" *looks around* "BANG! BANG!" *looks around*. Cracks me up and annoys me all at once!!

oh my gosh! he is BEAUTIFUL!

i would love to take him, unfortunately i am not able to. i really hope he finds a wonderful home, he deserves it.

you sound like you've done a fabulous job with him!

He is so pretty, thank you!

I was riding him today bareback with a halter and lead rope, he is such a blast!

Will he have further problems with his eyes? He looks like he has a great personality. Does he need to follow other horses out on the trail or will he go by himself? Is he spooky because he cannot see? I have never had a blind horse and wonder how they adapt to riding if they cannot see, but can hear things.

I would love to have a safe, sane trail horse - my mare is wonderful, but isn't exactly comfortable for trail riding long distances, all that trot, trot to keep up with gaited horses wears me out. Kills my back too.

I hope you can find a great home for him, he is such a pretty boy.

Default blind horses are awesome

A blind horse who have adjusted well to being blind are SUPER horses!! We have a mare that we have had for 2 years now and got her blind. She is the most amazing, kind, loving, and gentle horse I have ever met. Not at all spooky, and a worthy trail mount. We just took in another horse about a month ago or my family and I would of been on our way to meet him and go figure we live in Lincolnton, NC

Ah Blue sky yes you are so close, but you are more than welcome to come meet him as we are just 10 minutes apart.

A sane blind horse is a perfect mount. I have Lil Dot here who is the favorite of the kids and the most reliable. She wouldnt dream of bucking or running away and listens very well to voice commands. Take blind out of the equation.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

snkstacres you are so right! I was riding him Saturday bareback in his pasture with his 10 month old buddy Rockie. Rockie was so excited by ME being on his buddy Dusty's back, he was so weirded out he was running and bucking beside us, I was trying to sho Rockie away when he crashed into us and knocked me off! Dusty came from a canter to a dead stop and stood there and waited for me to get back up.

Stupid yes, I just never figured Rockie would freak out by seeing Dusty ridden. I usually ride Dusty in the big pasture away from Rockie. I will never forget how Rockie was looking at us! LOL! I have to admit it really freaked him out! He was SO upset!! "What are you doing up THERE?!?! I want up there too!!!!"

He is Lovely!!!
    I am too far away as well.. Drats!!!
    he looks like a great horse-- so much fun!

He is fun! Such a blast to ride!

Shamless little bump.....

stormy123 Guest

Hi. Has he ever been in the snow? Thanks.