The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Off topics?

Am I the only one who thinks this forum is getting a bit swamped with a lot of seemingly off topic subjects that while important and/or relatively associated with racing they tend to be overly abundant?

A lot of great tools and resources have been provided for doing analysis on reading a horse's record, obtaining track pictures, past replays, how to read dosage indexes, etc.

Yes I know the KY Derby trail as per say is only now getting geared up and of course the argument can be said that the COTH really isn't a racing publication at heart or even casually for that matter save for steeplechasing. Not to mention the Derby is not the be-all of racing although I've never said it was

Still its just is a bit disheartening already to ignore the OT forum altogether because of the wall to wall slaughter/abuse/abandoned threads and now slowly cutting back on even wanting to peek around this forum.

By no means am I dictator of this banana republic (heck I don't even want to run for dog cather!) so don't think I'm trying to say what goes. I just wonder if I'm alone in seeing this trend among the topics.

I think there just isn't much to talk about right now racing wise. =)
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Someone on this forum once said that it was different from most racing forums around because there was great tolerance of those who were not well versed about racing. Newbies, and those who have innocent, if rather simplistic, questions about racing are treated with kindness while on other forums they are generally encouraged to "scat."

I think a lot of folks who come here with questions that are maybe not "racing" related, but more Thoroughbred related, come here because they don't know where else to go. So, yes, there are probably going to be more breeding and pedigree questions here than you would see elsewhere.

But, those who come here, and get courteous answers to their questions, go away with a good feeling about "those racing folks." And, they may actually stick around long enough to learn something, and become fans of the sport. That, certainly, is worth a few topics that those who are more serious about real racing can skip, don't you think?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Someone on this forum once said that it was different from most racing forums around because there was great tolerance of those who were not well versed about racing. Newbies, and those who have innocent, if rather simplistic, questions about racing are treated with kindness while on other forums they are generally encouraged to "scat."

I think a lot of folks who come here with questions that are maybe not "racing" related, but more Thoroughbred related, come here because they don't know where else to go. So, yes, there are probably going to be more breeding and pedigree questions here than you would see elsewhere.

But, those who come here, and get courteous answers to their questions, go away with a good feeling about "those racing folks." And, they may actually stick around long enough to learn something, and become fans of the sport. That, certainly, is worth a few topics that those who are more serious about real racing can skip, don't you think?
    Well said Louise!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Sometimes I wish that the title of the Racing 101 thread could be changed to include "researching your TB" so that more folks would realize they can just do the lookups themselves....but even with a name change there will always be people who don't read that thread.

I'm not a racing person, and a lot of racing boards I ask questions on, I am encouraged to go my own way.

I've asked questions here, and have had them answered. Although I'm not a racing person, I am a fan of the sport and am not completely in the dark on most subjects. I appreciate any horse person in any dicipline that is willing to take the time and help out a person with questions, and that is what I see here, as some may see a little off topic. (and I myself may be going a little off topic, but I tend to ramble.)

Going to the racetrack, I definatly remember the people that take the time out of their busy day to answer any questions I may ask. Some of the racers are very friendly and open to answer questions, and some... well... lets just say they're not so nice.

When more experienced people on here answer questions, related to the board or not, I see people that are very friendly and willing to help educate yet another person.
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

I just want to know what a "dog cather" is...
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

its a message board in case everyone forgot. so what with the off topics ?? so maybe not everyone on here is a racing expert but they have racing related questions. HORSE SHOW DIVA DOT COM

I do think some of it is off topic, but I think in a way its kind of nice. I love racing, my dad always took me, and we went to lots of different tracks. I still have all my scrapbooks of race clippings from over 25 years ago, but my knowledge of basic racing things like claiming rules, conditions, etc is still thin to say the least. I always feel like I can ask any kind of question here and people will at least try to explain it to me in a nice manner. Also, it was the love of racing and riding TBs in other disciplines that led me to do foster work for a rescue. And I do feel that rescue is a racing issue. The rescues are the surplus of the sport. The way the are or are not treated effects the publics perception of the sport. So if people come here searching for info, even if it seems off topic or dull, it behooves all who love racing to try to help. The sport is in need of a shot in the arm, and any good impression that can be given to those less informed can only do racing good in the long run. Plus I thought it was really cool that people on this board gave me some cool insight into my own personal horses father. So I guess that was off topic per say, but I certainly enjoyed it. Of course this is just my opinion and I may be way off base.

Thumbs down

Would someone please slap hipsdontlie-- and tell her that there is NO need to keep shouting HORSE SHOW DIVA DOT COM-----we get it already!!! GEEZ put the stinkin advertisement in you signature like all the rest of us
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Glimmer, I am with you 110%. I am SO glad somebody said something because I have been thinking it for a while.

I will say, Louise has great points. But I think the point is, throughout the year, there are more posts not related to actual racing than there are about racing. And I don't think it is about this time of year. I don't think this group here has a problem with "Newbies" but very few that poke their head in actually stay and try to discuss racing. We were all new at one time. I mean, it isn't like you can be wrong about picking or liking a horse, can you? Wouldn't it be fun to have somebody say they liked the horse in pink and everybody jumps on them and then they win!? That is normally what happens to me when I go to the track with friends anyway

I do know other forums can be tough but sometimes you just have to stick around

Maybe we need a subcategory-like a general TB forum or something.

Maybe those who would prefer to segregate OTTB people from pure racing should conclude each of their posts with MESSAGE BOARD AT PEDIGREEQUERY DOT COM, where there are forums and subforums aplenty too keep those pesky information seekers away from racing discussions.

The tattoo lookup or "I just bought a TB and I want to know about his breeding" threads can be a little annoying. Mostly when there are several of them at the same time. But I just don't look at those threads. Heck, I don't look at the threads about dosage or betting either, because I don't give a rip about those things. I just like the horses and watching the races.

The newbies don't mean to be annoying. They just love their horses and want to know more about them. I agree that it might be a good idea to have a FAQ thread where we could refer them about how/where to get info on a horse's tattoo, how to look up pedigrees, where to get race photos, etc.

I think Louise is right that it's never a bad thing to be nice and tolerant. Some of these newbies might want to learn more about racing and become fans of the sport. And racing needs more fans.

If the racing forum is being inundated with requests for the same type of information from new members, feel free to provide suggestions here for solid threads that have previously discussed those topics. We can move the recommended threads into the reference section and place a "TB FAQ" sticky at the top of the forum with links to them.

Thanks!

I think a TB FAQ thread might be good. Also, (and I know this may be alot for mods) if posters with "tell me about my OTTB's pedigree?" posts could all use one thread. I know people often prefer to start their own but if they tag onto one already in action and getting bumped it keeps things neater. I do respond to those questions but if there are 10 of them going at once I get overwhelmed.

I do like the friendliness here compared to many racing exclusive bb's. Most are for bettors who have little tolerance for fans. There are more "horsemen" here than bettors (I think) thus it's a bit more congenial.

Xcntrygirl posted a great list of TB resources, I think in the "101" thread. That info should be stickied. I think the problem is that oat thread go so long that it's hard to find the answer to a question. You have to read 30 pages of posts.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

I have to say that I am making a pointed effort not to go anywhere near that website that a certain poster insists on SCREAMING at all of us with every single post she makes. GRRRRRR.
    And I agree with most everybody else, put the info about the various ?? people have about OTTB's and whatever else in the Racing 101 thread, which has excellent information. Unfortunately I don't think the problem isn't that the info isn't there and easily accessible, instead it's the same problem we have on the other forums. People are too lazy to do a search or read the stickies, they just start another thread about stuff that's already been asked and answered, or discussed ad nauseum. Maybe they are all lawyers?
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    I have to say that I am making a pointed effort not to go anywhere near that website that a certain poster insists on SCREAMING at all of us with every single post she makes. GRRRRRR.
    And I agree with most everybody else, put the info about the various ?? people have about OTTB's and whatever else in the Racing 101 thread, which has excellent information. Unfortunately I don't think the problem isn't that the info isn't there and easily accessible, instead it's the same problem we have on the other forums. People are too lazy to do a search or read the stickies, they just start another thread about stuff that's already been asked and answered, or discussed ad nauseum. Maybe they are all lawyers?

I took the bait and looked at that website... really sorry I did! Anyway, sure didnt mean to go Off Topic!

Quote Originally Posted by Acertainsmile View Post
    I took the bait and looked at that website... really sorry I did! Anyway, sure didnt mean to go Off Topic!
    Ugh...I have to learn how to contain the curious side of me...I looked too after reading this thread.
    Pre-pubescent came to mind immediately...
    Makes me appreciate the people here so much more though!

Back on topic, while it's annoying sometimes to have to wade through endless tattoo threads, there is value in taking a kinder approach. As another poster mentioned, getting new fans is one potential positive.

Unfortunately, racing has gotten itself stuck in the 1950's, and is struggling to find a new look and feel. Many people don't get it. They see the bad, never the good. Lower level tracks, like Suffolk Downs, have about as much charm for a new fan as a parking garage. Attracting new fans is difficult at best.

The classic races are great, and everyone is aware of them, but they take place early in the year, and then they are done and the average person doesn't think much about racing until next April.

Hopefully, for some folks, maybe coming on to boards like this and hearing folks who are living the life talk can spark an interest. I love reading VAbred's stuff about horses she galloped that day and such. I've been on a farm for many years now, but still pine for the backside, despite the some of difficulties of living there.

Maybe a thread dedicated to photos of racing would be something of interest. I love seeing photos of people breezing horses, or shedrow shots. Maybe we can have an impromptu photo contest over here in racing...

A photo shoot, sounds fun! I have tons of pics stuffed in a box!

Lower level tracks, like Suffolk Downs, have about as much charm for a new fan as a parking garage.
    Gonna have to disagree with you there.

New owner Richard Fields is doing a wonderful job of cleaning up and renovating (as much as funds allow), making a BIG effort to have fun promotional events (like free handicapping seminars, and Jerry Bailey day -- which was AWESOME!!!! SO cool to meet him) and create a family atmosphere (pony rides & a new playground on the apron). Horsemen were even encouraged to clean up their language -- I read on some of the overnights that there was a fine for swearing on the track!

Huge, huge difference from the Buddy LeRoux days of the 80's (Barnfairy *shudders* at the memories of some of the things she saw on the backside then).