The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Niedersuss Symphonie

I'm trying a Niedersuss Symphonie tomorrow. It fits my horse and was comfortable just to sit in, but I've been wrong buying saddles before...thought they were fine at first, but they really didn't fit me at all. I am quite long from hip to knee.

Is there anything I should particularly watch for in trying this saddle? Unfortunately, I won't have anyone particularly knowledgeable on the ground to help me out.

I'm not sure about that particular saddle but I have an "all purpose" (think eventing, foxhunting) Niedersuss saddle. It has a very nice, deep seat, and puts you right in THE SPOT. It fits a very wide range of horses, wonderful balance. I call it the amazing butt sucking saddle, because know matter what your horse does, your butt stays right where it's supposed to be. I have had friends who sat in it and instantly loved it, and friends who sat in it and instantly hated it. In other words, I think if it fits you, you'll know right away. Good luck. I started alot of greenhorses and foxhunted them in mine. Still throw it on the ones I think might have the ya ya's.

I love my Niedersuss Symphonie. Not sure what to say but I have 3 dressage saddles (for 8 horses) and the symphonies allows me to find and keep my position the easiest. It is well balanced and doesn't hold or lock me in which is what I prefer.

I'm an eventer with a Niedersuss Symphonie and I'm convinced the saddle is magic! Just like 2ndyrgal said ... it puts me in the right spot everytime.
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

I just got a symphonie to replace the County and the Stubben that kept putting me in the wrong position.
    For me (I have long legs and a proportionately long thigh but it seems the symphonie works for a lot of people), the symphonie is the first saddle in a long time that puts my leg under me where I can actually use it and my seat. As 2ndyrgal said, you will probably know by the feel if it works for you both in how you feel and how your horse responds to your balance or lack tehreof. It fits both of my horses (although one I use a riser pad).
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

After reading your replies, I'm very hopeful it will suit me. I have a long thigh and don't like a saddle that has huge blocks that lock me in place. For dressage especially, I would appreciate the 'butt sucking' feature!

I hope it works out for you. I can't offer much advice on saddle fitting but did want to add that I love my KN Symphonie for the same reasons as have already been mentioned.

I'll be the fly in the ointment!
    I tried one out in the fall. It fit my horse really really well.
    However, I didn't last more than 2 minutes in it and never got out of a walk...
    I hated it!

JustDressage Guest

I love my Symphonie. I purchased it from my trainer, who still has one Symphonie for training, and a Hennig for her two show horses. She also loves them. I find them very comfortable, and like others have mentioned, they put you into the right spot without locking you in or feeling forced into a position. They have fit many, many horses and different breeds (I have a medium tree). Of course not one saddle works for everyone, but I would highly reccomend them.

Good luck!

I hope it works for you, it probably will as I hear so many riders being so positive about the KN saddle.

Sadly, it's probably just me, but I don't like it all that much. I got a KN only a few months ago and I barely ride in it .
    I much prefer my Euroriding saddle, which gives me a much better balance.
    The KN tends to tip me forward a little and I feel a little wonky in canter (don't quite know how to describe). I really need to use my back/stomach muscles more to keep my core straight cantering in it. And I tend to grip more with my tighs in the KN, which I never find myself doing in my Euroriding.
    Again, I'm most likely the only one having this problem.

But one definitely positive note, as mentioned by others, it fits many horses very well.
    I have 2 different tree sizes Euroriding for my 2 horses, however this one KN actually fits both. Weird, but true.

Good luck, hope it works purrrrfect for you

I had a KN symphonie I rode in for many years on 3 different horses. It was a wide tree, and it fit them all very well. I loved the way it 'helped' me find a good position, and I actually regret selling that saddle. I have a custom Schleese now, which is fine, but it took me a long time to get used to riding in it as it doesn't help my position like the KN did.

Another positive review for Neidersuss saddles. I have two -- one a semi-custom Neidersuss symphonie/Hippostar, the other one of those all-purpose ones. Both are wide trees. The dressage saddle in particular is a very easy fit on a variety of horses. The AP is a bit of a "banana" shape and not such a good fit on most. I love them both, have loaned them to students to try out for fit and size. Some love them, others do not. The ones who hate my saddles needed a saddle with a larger seat. They might have loved my Neidersuss if the seat fit them better...

I bought a medium wide for a mare, had it restuffed and used a fleece pad for a slightly narrower gelding, then used it on the next mare for the past two years - she has finally gotten too wide for it, and now I'm going to put it up for a while until the first mare's daughter is ready to go to work. However, I would never sell a saddle that fits me so well and is so comfortable.