The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Conformation Comparison on full sisters...

This is my mares full sister. I happened to come across a picture of her.

My mare is bay and much finer boned than her. What good and bad points do you see in this mare?

Just curious to see what you think!
    Last edited by Samotis; Nov. 9, 2008 at 04:23 PM.

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

I don't have a yearling picture of my mare, but I will post one of her now.

(well a few months ago) She is 10 months pregnant now!

Original Poster

maybe if I explain myself it will help

While researching my mares family, I had a hard time finding out anything about my mares mother. It doesn't even say what color she is. ( I am assuming she is chestnut) I know that the stallion (Candi's Gold) is 16.2 hands and blood bay with no white. I also know that he has sired numerous eventing champions as well as race quality. (one is Amy Tyrons Woodstock)

My mare is a very petite 15.3 and her full sister looks to have more bone and probably would have been bigger. My mares sister was also sold for 3 times more than Gracie as a yearling!

I would just be interested to see what similarities my mare and her sister have as well as differences, because I may get these in my foal!

Any input would be great. I don't know a lot about conformation and am trying to learn.

Original Poster

ok so 168 people have viewed this, no one has an opinion?

Come on people!

What is the age of the horses in each?

okay, I'll play...but I'm certainly no expert...

She's obviously young in that picture, so I have a few things to look past. She's butt-high, but that's one thing I'd have to look past because of age. She looks to have a bit of a short'ish neck, but not grotesquely so (hmmm, did I spell that right?), just a teeny, tiny bit. The umbilical hernia jumped out at me, too, BUT that's easy to fix and generally not a problem.

ummm, give me a second, I have to go back and look again!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

okay, now that I have the picture up in a different window, I retract my neck statement. I think it looks fine, I actually really like the way it's put on her, just looks a little funny because her head is a little big at that particular young age. Something she grew into, I'm sure.

She looks like she's got great bone, a very nice shoulder, and a nice butt. She looks a little short in the back, but powerful because of it (does that make any sense?). Maybe a little thick in the throatlatch, but I'm not really turned off by that on most horses. Her legs look lovely and straight. And that eye! She looks very intelligent and gentle!

I think she's lovely. Looking at your own mare, I'd have to say that this breeding combo puts some VERY nice horses on the ground!
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Original Poster

the first pick is of gracie's sister as a yearling.

Gracie is 8 years old.

Unfortunatly Gracie's sister died at the age of 2, so I don't have any grown pictures of her.

Kenike, thank you, I do think my mare is pretty. I did notice that they have the same eye and face structure.

Gracie is also short in the back, but has a very powerful jump! She also is a fantastic mover, not sure about how her sister moved.

I will also post a couple pics of Gracie before she was pregnant, and a better pic of her face. They really do have the same eye

I'll play a bit... I am DEFINITELY not an expert though! I think that the chestnut filly is lovely! I like her head, alert & interested ears, gorgeous eye, nice throat latch. She has a nice shoulder, nice top-line, I too noticed the umbilical hernia, she looks like she has a powerful hind end, athletic looking as well. She looks like she might be a little cow hocked but it's hard to tell - could just be the way she's standing. A lot of young horses are a bit cow hocked though. I would like to see a better shot of her hind end.

I think your bay girl is pretty too. To me her head isn't quite as pretty as the chestnuts and she dips a little in front of her withers (how old is she & was she in work when this picture was taken)? I think the overall picture of her is very pretty though!

As far as similarities I don't see a whole lot... to my untrained eye they look to be of a quite different build - what do you think? It's hard to say since the pictures are of different ages.

BTW, if you are looking for an easy to read & in depth conf book, I really like Horse Conformation by Juliet Hedge. I have it and reference use it often (I did not reference it at all in my post tonight though)! LOL!

Who did you breed your mare too? Good luck to you & your mare!

Original Poster

yes, the first picture is of her 8 months pregnant. She was not in work. Her face looks funny in that pic too. She actually has a beautiful face. Very kind eye.

I think the biggest difference I see in them is the chestnut is much bigger boned. They seem to have the same neck set and short coupled body. I really like her sister and I actually looked into finding her, but I found out she had died at 2 years old.

I posted another pic of her at 5 or 6 when she was in training, also a face pic. She looks like such a baby in that pic!

I bred her to Roc USA. He is a Dutch Warmblood.

Original Poster

one thing I have noticed with my mare is the dip in the front of her withers. This is obviously not ideal, but what does this cause when you ride them? Does it make them go different?

Before her pregnancy I had a really hard time to keep weight on her, I am wondering if after she foals and goes back into work her neck with look better.

actually, with the conf picture you posted before pregnancy is a better shot, and I can definitely see a lot of the same things in the two. Same eye and intelligent face (though I can't really decide who's got a "prettier" head), same shoulder, same angles in the butt (though I think the chesnut has a better one, more powerful...sorry), same short back, and the same correct legs..just with different amounts of bone.

I can definitely see that Gracie is much finer, has a smaller rib cage and girth, and that her neck doesn't tie in quite as well, but she's still very, very nice and correct. At least to me In the human world she'd be the one the sister would hate BECAUSE she's so petite and pretty! They're both stunning (too bad the sister didn't survive ), though. Someone really did do a great job with the breeding to get these girls!

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    the first pick is of gracie's sister as a yearling.

Gracie is 8 years old.

Unfortunatly Gracie's sister died at the age of 2, so I don't have any grown pictures of her.

Kenike, thank you, I do think my mare is pretty. I did notice that they have the same eye and face structure.

Gracie is also short in the back, but has a very powerful jump! She also is a fantastic mover, not sure about how her sister moved.

I will also post a couple pics of Gracie before she was pregnant, and a better pic of her face. They really do have the same eye
    Just saw this post & the pictures - sorry I missed it before! Yes, I agree w/ Kenike these are better pics of your mare - her head shot is gorgeous! She looks lovely in them and I can see more similarity in the 2 girls than I could comparing the first 2 pictures.

What a shame that the chestnut filly passed away, so sad.

To answer your question about the dip in front of the withers I am not sure what faults may stem (if any) from that. I think it just detracts from the picture of having a smooth, flowing top-line - a lot of horses who aren't in work have a bit of a dip b/c they lack muscle there. I am sure someone who knows more about conformation can expand on what I just wrote though.

If your mare is a hard keeper (I think I read that?) and is 8 month prego that may be why it's more pronounced in the first picture of her - she looks lovely though. I just looked at Roc USA's website - it looks like that will be a gorgeous baby, very athletic I think.

General impression the first filly ( at this stage of development) looks like she could be an appendix quarter horse, the second sister looks very much the thoroughbred, longer lines and more refined. They do not for me look to be great examples of "look alikes" for the local "look alike" contests.

Not going into nitty gritty, as my level of expertise is mostly based on instinct and personal taste. All horses are with faults, but some you can live with more than others. They look like nice attractive useful horses, that is what I see.

Regarding your comments on dips in front of withers, I will comment. Horses in work and horses in pasture condition vary greatly. I have seen horribly pencil thin upside down necks develop into arched nicely shaped necks and look quite lovely with proper feeding and training. I expect dips can disappear with work and lots of feed as well.

I will add one further comment, having thoroughbreds myself. Diet is very important to keep horses in best conditon. I bought a mare who was thin as a rail and with lots of good groceries, she bloomed into quite a nice mare. During her pregnancy she looked phenomenal but when the foal is born, you have to be watchful to maintain her weight during the duration the foal is with her because once she drops in condition it is hard to get it back until afte the foal is weaned. I like my horses fat and sassy. Others may not see it as needed. There are of course limits to excess as well, but should you wish your horse to look her best, you have to regulate diet on an individual basis and make it a gradual process.

Sorry a bit of a tangent from your original question but sort of goes hand in hand in other ways.

I have seen stunning horses but I have also noted the importance of feeding and conditioning to achieving that optimum look. Conformation presentation is as such related.

Original Poster

I agree about nutrition! I think my first problem is I got her straight from the racetrack. I never really let her have any time off and I think her weight suffered from it. This is why I decided to breed her, because I felt she needed some time to just be a horse.

Live and learn I suppose. She developed great weight just a few months into pregnancy with light flat work. She is very happy now and I think it will be much easier to keep weight on her.

It is a shame her sister died, and yes I do think that she has a better hind end. That is one thing that Gracie lacks.

Thanks for all the comments, keep them coming!

Original Poster

here is a face pic of her today...

I don't know, her sister does have a beautiful face, I am just partial to Gracies.

It would have been nice to see her mother, I tried to find her, but never really got a great lead.

Her dad died a couple of years ago. (Candi's Gold) He raced in the Kentucky Derby in 1987.
    I am having a hard time finding pics of him because Blooming Hills farm was bought out by a Quarter Horse trainer and they took the pictures off of him.

Original Poster

bump

Original Poster

come on... no one else has anything to say?